Do you sear your roast before putting it in the slow cooker? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you sear your roast before putting it in the slow cooker?

Last post Sep 01, 2005 12:08 PM by tich855 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Do you sear your roast before putting it in the slow cooker?
    I never have, but I am using a recipe that is for the oven, and I am going to use the slow cooker instead.
    The recipe calls to sear the roast, and then do the onion in those drippings.
    So, I was wondering if I should sear it before putting it in the slow cooker.
    Have you done this, is it necessary?
    TIA,
    KLC
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
  • RE: Do you sear your roast before putting it in the slow cooker?
    I never do it. My mom however does. I just think that it comes out perfectly even if you dont do it. IMHO.

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    I never have and love the roasts from the crock pot. So tender!

Conniemarie
    False
    I never sear it first for the slow cooker.
    False
    I have done both, but prefer the searing. It does make a difference as the searing seals in the juices and flavor. JMHO

Kathy♥
    False
    I don't really find any difference if you do or don't. Good luck with your recipe.
    False
    I don't do it either. I had a beef stew recipe that said to do it, which I did the first time. The second time I made it, I didn't and I didn't see ANY difference, so I don't know what the point was. Maybe just to give us something to do (dishes) because of all the time we'll have on our hands now that the "cooking's" done. LOL

Paulette
    False
    Okeydokey,
    Sooo, some say it makes a difference, some say not. I am thinking of NOT having to do too many dishes.
    I think I won't sear, and won't saute the onion and just throw it all in the crock pot.
    I will let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks so much,
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    I don't sear roasts for the crock pot. I sometimes flour it after I season it, as that is how my mil does it. It seems to help a little with the browning.
    False
    Kathy, I've done both and I think doing it adds a little more flavor, but either way would be fine.

How are you? I haven't checked my email in a few days so if you've emailed me that's why I haven't responded. How are the girls? Have they started school? Mine start on Tuesday the 6th.

Lori
    False
    Lori Life's too short - have the whipped cream!
    If you sear any meat before slow cooking it it one seals in juice, and two adds a nice caramel color and flavor to your meat it does change the flavor of your dish when you sear your meat. I have done it both ways and I prefer to sear. And my husband likes the taste better also. It also makes the dish more attractive if you were going to have company. Good luck hope this helped
    christy
    False
    I always sear roasts before...as one of the other women said it keeps the juices in and has a much better flavor. Some of the other meats I do not.
    False
    As many other do I also sear my roasts. My husband and I both feel it makes a better tasting and more moist meat. I have even seared the carrots in the droppings.

Rachel
    False
    I don't and my family loves the roasts. My mom swore by it though saying it kept the juices inside. My roasts always fall apart after a day in the slow cooker without it.
    False