Need help with Tupperware - Do lids shrink? Bought at garage sale & it won't quite fit. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need help with Tupperware - Do lids shrink? Bought at garage sale & it won't quite fit.

Last post Sep 10, 2005 7:53 PM by motherofdogs . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Need help with Tupperware - Do lids shrink? Bought at garage sale & it won't quite fit.
    Two weeks ago, I bought a Tupperware ice cream freezer container at a garage sale for only 75 cents. It looked almost like new. When I bought it, the lid was beside it, not fastened on.

Now, I see that the lid, while it looks like the proper lid for the container, is a tiny bit small lengthwise and won't fit. A friend suggested that I soak it in hot water or put it in the dishwasher. I will try that. Any suggestions to make this fit? 75 cents was still a great bargain, so I may call a Tupperware rep. and order a lid.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
    False
  • RE: Need help with Tupperware - Do lids shrink? Bought at garage sale & it won't quite fit.
    I've had problems with tupperware lids shrinking and warping when I put them in the dishwasher, and I don't have particularly hot water. Pretty annoying, wouldn't you say? I think they are supposed to be dishwasher safe, so they might replace them if you contact a consultant, but I'm not sure if you need a receipt or not. Good luck. PammieJ.
    False

There's no such thing as "try". You either do, or you don't.

• RE: Need help with Tupperware - Do lids shrink? Bought at garage sale & it won't quite fit.

I have had trouble with them shrinking too. I stopped buying tupperware for that reason. I thought it was pretty pricey for something that would just shrink on me.

Carrie
    False
    My antique Tupperware comes from the olden days, as my children used to describe them. If you have the old translucent type with the lid with the little tab on it, maybe I can help. To put the lid on that type, you started by threading the groove on the lid over the side of the container at one spot. Then you "walk" the lid around the rim until your fingers meet. "Burp" the bowl and the lid drops into place.
    False
    Tupperware has a lifetime guarantee. Contact a rep. and ask for replacement lids. You won't need a receipt and won't have to pay for the new lids (unless their policies have changed in the last 7 yrs.)
    Chefly
    False
    The old tupperware is not dishwasher safe. Rose
    False
    Put the lid loosley on the container with a little water in it. Put in microwave until water is steamy and then snap the lid in on the container and let cool in place. This works on almost all plasticware.
    False
    Soak the lid in hot water to stretch it and then dry it and put it on the container.
    False
    Thanks, everyone, for helpful advice here! If I can't get lid to stretch, I will contact a Tupperware rep, to get a new lid. Hope I can get a free one, but even if I have to pay, it probably won't be much.
    False