Can I make caramel corn in my roaster? Advice needed. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I make caramel corn in my roaster? Advice needed.

Last post Sep 19, 2005 10:56 PM by TriainAtlanta . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can I make caramel corn in my roaster? Advice needed.
    I recently read the suggestion to make Chex Mix in the roaster and I did that with the Out of This World Part Mix (which was a HUGE HIT here!) and it worked like a charm. Anyone done this with caramel corn though? It is very cool and breezy here today and it is making me want to make some. I just seem to associate certain foods with fall...anything pumpkin, mulled cider, homemade breads, quick breads, caramel corn, etc. Thanks for any advice.
    False
  • RE: Can I make caramel corn in my roaster? Advice needed.
    Subject: Sugarbug's Favorite Recipe's
    Posted by: sugarbug Replies: 53 Posted on: 2/21/2004 10:25:43 PM
    #T307799
    Oven Caramel Corn

8 to 9 quarts popped corn
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 sticks margarine
    1 tea. salt
    1/2 c. white syrup
    1 tea. carmel flavor
    1/2 tea. soda

Combine sugar, marg. , salt, syrup and flavor, boil 5 min. stirring occ. Remove from heat. Add soda, stir, pour over popped corn, stir well. Spread on 2 large cookie sheets or a big roaster. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, stirring 2-3 times. Keep in tight covered container for freshness.
    False
    I bumped up the recipe and review on the out of this world party mix.

A question - you did make this in your big roaster - and I presume that you baked it at the temp. recommended - and stirred as directed?

Thanks.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    Tria -
    Are you asking me or artistathand? If you are referring to the Out of This World mix, I poured it into the roaster and started out at the temp in the recipe until I smelled something burning. :o) I ended up turning the temp down quite a bit, stirred it and picked out the burned pieces (fortunately, I caught it just as it began to burn, so didn't lose much). I would guess I turned it down about 50 degrees or so, although I don't remember an exact temp.
    False
    I hear you, I've got the stuff to make this recipe.

Are you talking about your nesco type roaster.

You know, that just might work. Good idea.

OVEN CARAMELED POPCORN

Source: LaDonna
    Effort: average
    Comments: The original recipe came from an Aunt, I did some changes for our own personal taste. She put pecans in hers. I usually make up a huge batch to take to the first football game.

Ingredients:
    8 qt. popped popcorn
    2 sticks butter, melted
    2 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup white syrup
    1-1/2 cup small marshmallow
    1 can almonds (whole)
    1 jar dry roasted peanuts
    2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon soda

Instructions:
    Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray
    Boil all ing. except soda & vanilla for 8 min., stirring constantly.
    Remove from heat & add soda & vanilla, stir briskly
    Pour over popcorn & mix
    Bake in 200 oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 min
    during cooling break in small pieces

I get 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of finished product

"Memory is the diary we all carry about with us"
    False
    CK- Ohhh, that sounds good. Mine is the same except doesn't call for muts or marshmallows. Thanks!
    False
    oops...I meant "nuts," not "muts"!!!
    False
    Asking my5kidsmom__OH - as you said that you had made the Party Mix. The temp. recommended for the oven roasting - was 250 - and the thought did cross my mind that the big roaster might not "spread the mix" around as much - therefore making it easier to burn. Maybe using the big disposable roasters would be best. I was just thinking it might be handier - but you have to stir it either way.
    I would think you would also have to watch the caramel corn carefully, also - but bet it would be very good.

That sounds like a great mix - and thanks for mentioning it. Had noticed it before - but didn't print it out to try. Now I will. Great for parties - and for gift bags.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    bump!
    False
    Tria