What does a parsnip taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What does a parsnip taste like?

Last post Sep 21, 2005 10:12 PM by nlf_PA . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • What does a parsnip taste like?
    Hi!

I have a ww recipe for winter vegetable stew that I would like to try, but there are a lot of parsnips in the recipe. I have never had one and would like to get an idea of their flavor before I invest (time, money) into this recipe.

are they sweet like carrots,(yum) licorice like anise (yuk)

thanks so much - I know this is a silly question, but I appreciate it

Kathleen
    False
  • RE: What does a parsnip taste like?
    I just can't describe how they taste. I know they are a veggie you either like or you hate it. I hated them as a child but will eat them now. Why don't you just get one and cook it and see if you like it before you invest the money? I know I haven't been much help. Rose
    False
    They taste like YUCK!! haha
    They are sweet and and sort of taste like carrot/licorice!
    My Mom used to love them but I never aquired a taste for them.
    False
    As I remember, they have a "turnip" taste???

Kathy♥
    False
    I think they're kind of a cross between a carrot and a turnip. Not as bitter as turnips, but not as sweet as carrots. We like them roasted. I think in a stew, the flavor would not be overwhelming. If you're worried, why not sub more carrots and/or potatoes for the parsnips?
    False
    No they don't taste like turnips are you thinking of a rutabaga? Rose
    False
    I love them....

They are sweeter than a turnip... But along the same line of veggie as a ruttaga, turnip.... Basically if you like those two you will like a parsnip...

I boil the three of them together with beef broth, cabbage and potatoes in my pressure cooker....

YUMMY !!!!!!!!!!
    False
    that word I MURDERED s/b rutabaga..

Sorry.....

~kate~
    False
    Nothing better than lengthwise sliced parsnips brushed with olive oil and slapped on the grill. Season with salt & pepper.
    Ummmm!

I think they have a distinct flavor but those who said carrot are probably the closest in my opinion.
    Tippytoes
    False
    Thanks for the responses! You guys gave me a few good ideas - I think I will buy one to try, and also "up" the amount of carrots in the recipe anyway (well, duh, why didn't I think of that!)

:) Kathleen
    False
    Why....they taste like CHOCOLATE!! Just kidding! They taste like hmmm, kinda like a...well, they taste like a parsnip. Now if you'd have asked "do they taste good?", that would be easy to answer. NO!! JMHO...LOL.
    False
    I tried it for the first time this summer and it was AWFUL!
    False
    Boil them until tender, then fry in butter with salt and pepper. DELICIOUS
    oPAL ☺
    False
    lol... my mother used to tell me they taste just like candy! OH NO WAY.. NOT to ME they didn't... don't like 'em. My precious mom loved them.

Hugs,
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

rosiepie, I can't believe you asked this question! I was looking in (I think it was Cuisine at Home magazine) and they had a recipe for Pork in there that had parsnips in it. And I was thinking of asking the same question. I never had a parsnips, or turnip, or ruttabaga (sp?). So I'm glad you asked...now I know too!
    pepsi
    False