OKTOBERFEST TIME!!! - Recipes & More at Die Deutsche Ecke (The German/American/Czech Corner | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OKTOBERFEST TIME!!! - Recipes & More at Die Deutsche Ecke (The German/American/Czech Corner

Last post Oct 01, 2010 3:44 PM by dutchmom4MI . 156 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 11 (157 items) 12345Last >
  • RE: OKTOBERFEST TIME!!! - Recipes & More at Die Deutsche Ecke (The German/American/Czech Corner
    I don't mean to butt in here, but I've been to the La Crosse, Wisconsin Octoberfest. (Used to live there!) This was the best city 'party' I've ever been to...year after year! Thanks for the memories. The recipes sound great! I can't wait to try Twinkle's recipe for the Rouladen...one of my favorite foods! Trish
    False
  • RE: OKTOBERFEST TIME!!! - Recipes & More at Die Deutsche Ecke (The German/American/Czech Corner
    I've had the Sauerbraten at Karl Ratzsch's in Milwaukee, Wisconsin...a famous German restaurant. It was heavenly. This is their recipe that is from their chef. I have not tried making this myself, but I thought I'd post for you. Trish

Ratzsch's sauerbraten wins sweet praise
    From the Journal Sentinel
    Last Updated: December 28, 2000

Karl Ratzsch's Sauerbraten

Chef John Poulos presents a sauerbraten entree at Karl Ratzsch's restaurant, 320 E. Mason St.

4 pounds beef (rump, chuck or sirloin)
    2 tablespoons salt (divided)
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup white wine vinegar
    2 cups cold water
    1 onion, sliced
    1 rib celery, cut coarsely
    1/4 cup mixed pickling spice
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons drippings or lard
    6 to 8 gingersnap cookies, softened in a little water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Equal parts of flour and water to thicken

Rub meat with 1 tablespoon salt and place it in crockpot or deep container (not aluminum). Combine vinegars, water, onion, celery, pickling spice and garlic. Pour over meat and marinate in cool place for 48 hours, turning twice daily.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To roast, remove meat from crock. Heat drippings in roasting pan and sear meat on all sides. Pour marinade over meat and cover. Roast, covered, in preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes per pound, basting occasionally. Remove cover during last 20 minutes of roasting time and baste again.

Remove meat to warm platter and strain marinade into heavy kettle. Bring to boil and simmer. Add softened gingersnaps, 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon salt. Thicken to desired consistency with roux. Adjust seasonings and sugar. Slice across the grain and serve with gravy. Good with potato dumplings, buttered noodles or stewed prunes. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

False
    Hallo Alle, just peeking in.

Texas, so sorry just leaving you hanging out by your self. Whoopee, I am proud of you for jumping on the soapbox. I agree, most of them reporters are just showoffs so they can get their names up in lights.

Good topic and idea. Sorry about the heat, I talked with my cousin there about 8 PM and she had my Uncle and Aunt there with her and she said the AC just doesn'e quit running.

Yes, Ericka, My DW told me to reset the answering machine but do not answer it. Yesterday they called about 5 times and my DW did not call back. In fact she told me that her payday is this Wednesday and she was trying to figure out a way to sneak in and get it and leave before someone saw her. Smile. She makes me proud of her. (Sometimes) I keep telling her she does not owe them anything.

Hi Twinkle, I saved the best for last. You go make this beautiful list of places to visit for Oktober Fest and you leave out one of the best ones. It was just the place I just visited on my last trip.

Hermann, Missouri. You got to check out the first site, it will get your toe a tapping.

http://www.hermannmissouri.com/

http://www.hermannmo.info/Octoberfest/okt_schedule.htm

Danke, Twinkle for posting.

The Wurst Fest in New Braunfels, Texas is also in October. I have never been but Texas can tell you more. I heard there is just way to many people there for that small town.

Zurick zu bett, Ich muessen yetz meine schoenheit ruhe abkriegen. Laechein. Ich hoffen das ausheifen.

Boe
    False
    hello patricia and boe

thank you for the recipe patricia - welcome to the corner - please come back - love to have you here

boe - sorry i just copied a list from the board annd there were only these mentioned...

have a good sleep boe!!

twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Canada Coktoberfest

Kitchener, Ontario Oct. 7 - Oct. 15, 2005 - Canada´s Great Bavarian Festival

The Oktoberfest Ball will be a memorable evening with dining and dancing. This black-tie event is an evening filled with good fun, great music, food and Gemuetlichkeit. The highlight of the evening will be the announcement of Miss Oktoberfest 2005, who will begin her reign effective that night.
    False
    Oktoberfest Ribs

2 pounds pork spareribs
    2 (32-ounce) jars sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
    8 juniper berries
    2 large onions, peeled and thickly sliced
    2 tart green apples, cored and wedged
    1/4 cup sugar

Evenly layer ingredients into a large stew pot or Dutch oven in this order: Sauerkraut, juniper berries, onion, apples, brown sugar and ribs. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours, until ribs are very tender.

Makes 4 servings.

False
    O'Zapft Is ! It's Oktoberfest - Let The Party Begin!

On September 17, the mayor of Munich officially opened the world's largest festival by tapping the first keg of Oktoberfest beer with the words "O'Zapft is!" meaning "The keg has been tapped!" . During the two-week festival of all festivals, seven million Oktoberfest fans will make the pilgrimage to the Theresienwiese to take part in this celebration of German beer, food and popular culture.
    For those unable to splurge on tickets to Munich, there are plenty of Oktoberfest celebrations throughout North America. So grab your beer steins, throw on your Dirndl or Lederhosen and head on down to your local Oktoberfest celebration.

Oktoberfest By The Bay
    San Francisco, CA
    October 13 - 16, 2005
    Web: www.oktoberfestbythebay.com
    Celebrating in the true tradition of Munich's famed Oktoberfest, the festival will include nonstop music, dancing, singing, and the very best in German food and drink. The world renowned Chico Bavarian Band will headline the stage.

San Diego Oktoberfest
    San Diego, CA
    October 1- 2 & October 8 - 9, 2005
    Web: www.germanclubsandiego.org
    The German-American Societies of San Diego present their annual Oktoberfest with German live bands, foods and beverages, as well as kid's entertainment.

San Jose Oktoberfest
    Convention Center, South Hall, San Jose, CA
    October 7, 2005
    Web: www.sanjoseoktoberfest.com
    Live Bands featuring traditional German music. Men in lederhosen & women in festtracht enter for free.

False
    Newport Oktoberfest
    Newport, KY
    October 7 -9, 2005
    Web: www.northern-kentucky.com/northern_kentucky_events_all_festivals.asp
    The Newport Oktoberfest is promised to be the most authentic Oktoberfest in the area. The event will be in the Munich Oktoberfest style of large Fest Tents sponsored by German Beer Breweries. Each tent will have food, beer and music.

The Tenth Annual Mount Desert Island Fall Celebration
    Acadia's Oktoberfest & Food Festival
    Saturday, 8 October 2005 - Noon to 6:00 pm
    SMUGGLERS DEN CAMPGROUND
    Route 102 - Southwest Harbor, Maine
    Web: http://www.acadiachamber.com/oktoberfest.html

New Ulm Oktoberfest
    New Ulm, MN
    October 7 - 8 & October 14 - 15
    Web: www.newulmoktoberfest.com
    This Old World celebration will feature musical entertainment including New Ulm's famous Concord Singers, German Brass Bands, and of course numerous local and regionally acclaimed polka bands providing all of the German favorites to "oompah, polka, and waltz" the night away.

False
    Soulard Oktoberfest
    St. Louis, MO
    October 21 - 23, 2005
    Web: www.soulardoktoberfest.com
    Offering great music, fabulous food and activities for the entire family, The Soulard Oktoberfest is the perfect way to experience the rich German cultural hertage of the area. Historic Soulard is the ideal setting for an Old World Style Celebration

Oktoberfest Anaconda
    Anaconda, MT
    October 1, 2005
    Web: www.goldwest.visitmt.com/listings/12254.htm
    A fun filled day, October 1st, begins at 10:00am with and arts and craft show at Copper Village, 401 E Commercial St. in Anaconda. German sausages, potato salad, kraut, hot rolls and other wonderful food will be available all day. There will be a beer garden and entertainment inside a large tent and outside games for children

Oktoberfest Las Vegas
    Las Vegas, NV
    September 23 - October 31, 2005
    Web: www.oktoberfestlasvegas.com
    Oktoberfest the Las Vegas way! Different festivals all over the city.

North Bergen Oktoberfest
    Schuetzen Park, 3167 Kenney Blvd, North Bergen, NJ
    October 21, 2005
    Web: www.ygac.org
    Come celebrate the 10th. Anniversary of Young German-American Club This year we are pulling out "all-stops" to make this the best Oktoberfest ever. With the 8 piece "Showband Schlawiner" from Germany and D'HeimatsGruppe dancing for our crowd, the evening is going to be fun, entertaining and memorable. It's been said that YGAC knows how to throw a party so come see for yourself. Sponsorship by Lõwenbräu means that admission includes this Bavarian favorite all night long. Admission: $20 with reservations by 10/16. $25 at the door. Email for information and reservations. Lõwenbräu and soda available all night long. Festival foods on a la carte menu.

False
    Ruidoso Oktoberfest
    Ruidoso, NM
    October 14 - 15, 2005
    Web: www.trekwest.com/oktoberfest
    Oktoberfest with Live Music, Kid's games, German foods, dancing and family fun.

Red River Oktoberfest
    Red River, NM
    October 7 - 9, 2005
    Web: www.redriver.org/visitor/events_oktoberfest.php
    The Red River Chamber of Commerce & the Town of Red River invite you to spend Oktoberfest, Columbus Day Weekend, October 7-9th, 2005, in the Mountains! We will have Microbreweries, Vendors, Polka Music, Contests and lots of fun activities for the whole family!

N.Y.C. Oktoberfest
    Lexington Avenue from 42nd to 57th Streets
    Sunday, October 2, 2005

Hunter Oktoberfest
    Hunter, NY
    October 1- 2 & October 8 - 9, 2005
    Web: www.huntermtn.com/summer_festivals_oktober.html
    Celebrating Oktoberfest in the finest old-world tradition. German-American bands and Schuhplattler dancers, lots of vendors, food and drink for the adults. Free arts & crafts and free pumpkins for the kids. All in the majestic splendor of the beautiful northern Catskills in the autumn.

18th Annual Irondequoit Oktoberfest
    Irondequoit, NY
    September 16-18 and 23 - 25, 2005
    Web: www.irondequoit.org/events/oktober.htm
    The 18th Annual Oktoberfest in Irondequoit, NY features two weekends of fun, food and entertainment! You can dance, sing, and dine with the finest International Oktoberfest Bands. Two stages offer you a choice of entertainment under either of two 10,000 sq. ft. tents. Traditional German food is served daily in the food court connecting the two entertainment tents.

False
    Tulsa Oktoberfest
    Tulsa, OK
    October 20 - 23, 2005
    Web: www.tulsaoktoberfest.org/interim2005/index.html
    Bands direct from Germany, Austria and the U.S. provide non-stop entertainment each day of the festival. Kids and families enjoy the fun of Das Jugendzelt. Free arts & crafts, entertainment and a carnival. There's a menu—German, European, or just fun food—for every appetite. And, a great selection of beverages

Newport Waterfront Oktoberfest
    Newport, RI
    October 8 - 10, 2005
    Web: www.newportfestivals.com/Oktoberfest/
    An authentic German Oktoberfest celebration with lively Bavarian music from throughout New England, delicious German food and American cuisine (seafood, pirogues and more), Biergarten, Weingarten, and special area for children.

East Greenwich Oktoberfest
    East Greenwich, RI
    October 20 - 23, 2005
    Web: www.oktoberfest-ri.com
    Oktoberfest with Live Music, Kid's games, German foods, Biergarten and family fun.

The German Meat Market
    8502 Two Notch Road Suite D
    Columbia, SC 29223
    803-419-0255
    October 14-15th, 2005
    The German Meat Market in Columbia South Carolina is sponsoring an Oktoberfest from 14th-15th October. There will be numerous German specialties such as Schnitzel, baked ham hocks, Bratwurst, Weisswurst, Rotkraut, Sauerkraut, Spaetzle and various bakery items. German wine and beer will be served and there will be traditional German music and dancing. The event will begin on 14th Oct 2005 at 7:00 PM until 11 PM, then again on Saturday the 15th from 4:00 PM until 11:00 PM. Call 1-803-419-0255 for further details

Southlake Oktoberfest
    Southlake, TX
    October 1 - 3, 2005
    Web: www.southlakeoktoberfest.com
    Southlake Town Square features a wide variety of entertainment and activities for adults and kids alike, and is free to the public. Special attraction is the Wiener Dog Races to be held on Saturday, October 2 from 11am to noon at Southlake Town Square.
    False
    Oktoberfest San Antonio
    Beethoven Maennerchor
    San Antonio, TX
    September 30, 2005
    Web: www.beethovenmaennerchor.com/oktoberfest.htm
    Come to the Beethoven Halle & Garten to celebrate the ultimate German festival! Music, food, and dancing will put you in the spirit! German foods, including Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Potato Pancakes, etc, will be available for purchase. And to fill your stein, we offer many German wines and beers, their American counterparts, and a variety of soft drinks. Suggested donation is $5 at the gate; members are admitted free

Port Alberni Oktoberfest
    Port Alberni, Canada
    October 21 - 22, 2005
    Web: www.island.net/~europa
    The largest Oktoberfest on Vancouver Island with Live Music, Kid's games, German foods, dancing and family fun.

False
    Recipe of the Month: October 2005
    Party Canapés (Party- Häppchen)
    Find more recipes in our Recipe of The Month archives

If you like to make formal canapés, you'll find many German products ideal for shaping into dainty bite-sized finger food. Thinly sliced cold meats are easy to fold or roll; cheeses can be cut into neat squares or rounds; Vollkorn, rye and Pumpernickel breads can be stamped into shapes using small pastry cutters; Quark is ideal for flavoring and piping into swirls, while pickles and relishes are idea as toppings and garnishes. It's all so easy!

Remember to keep the canapés (called Häppchen in German) bite-sized so that each canapé can be popped into the mouth quickly. Garnishes should be subtle

Here are some serving suggestions:

Cold Canapés

Pumpernickel rounds with Matjes herring flakes, thinly sliced onion, cooked shrimp, mayonnaise and dill garnish

Toasted light rye bread with lettuce shreds, smoked salmon with horseradish cream and caviar
    Rye bread with Emmentaler cheese and chopped black grapes

Pumpernickel rounds with Emmentaler cheese, cucumber, Quark, topped with fresh herbs and thin red onion slices

Cocktail pretzels with thinly sliced Bavarian blue cheese

Rounds of toast with folded and rolled slices of Black Forest ham, topped with green asparagus tips

Cherry tomato shells filled with piped Quark and topped with finely chopped chives and tiny herb sprigs

Hot Canapés

Prepare these ahead but don't heat until your guests are about to arrive. Otherwise, they will dry out if kept warm for too long
    Thin fresh apple slices (brushed with lemon juice), deep-fried Camembert wedges, topped with cranberry relish

Baby potato pancakes (or Rosti) with hot pan-fried salmon filet

Toasted triangles baked with shredded Black Forest han, pitted red grapes and grated Emmentaler cheese

False
    wiener schnitzel

As the name of this dish suggests, "Wiener" shows it is actually native to Vienna, Austria, but is almost synonymous with German cuisine. We substituted pork loin for the traditional veal in our version.

2 pounds pork loin, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    salt and pepper
    flour
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    bread crumbs
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    lemon wedges

1. Wrap pork loin slices in plastic wrap. On a firm table or countertop, beat with a meat mallet to 1/2 its original thickness. Unwrap and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    2. Dip both sides in flour, followed by egg/water, then bread crumbs to coat evenly.
    3. Fry in hot oil, turning once, until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
    4. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve hot with apple-onion sauce.
    False
    Here's another:

http://www.shiner.com/bocktoberfest/
    False