when to harvest horseradish, ISO recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

when to harvest horseradish, ISO recipes

Last post Oct 03, 2007 1:50 PM by bagelbaker_OH . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • when to harvest horseradish, ISO recipes
    I have a ton of horseradish growing near my house. When is the best time to harvest it? Does anyone have a great recipe to make your own horseradish? Thanks in advance for your help! syd
    False
  • RE: when to harvest horseradish, ISO recipes
    We just leave the horseradish - don't harvest it at all. In the spring we always make Beet Horseradish for Ukrainian Easter. It is the best in spring.

BEET RELISH

Wash beets, cook, remove skins. Grate or put beets through a food chopper. Wash and scrape horseradish and put through a food chopper - enough to make 2 cups. Mix well with beets. Make brine of

2 cups vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups water
    1 cup sugar

Bring to boil, pour over beet mixture. Mix well and pack in jars or containers to freeze.

Suggestions: Make this when you can open windows because the strong horseradish will certainly make for a few tears!!!

Enjoy.

Carol
    False
    I have found that I can dig horseradish and use it most any time of the year. I do like making it for the Easter ham like Carol but this family likes theirs straight, no beets. Be careful, it is very invasive.
    False
    Thanks to both of you for such quick responses. Since there is so much...I think I'll try digging some now and some in the Spring! Your advice/recipe is much appreciated...
    syd
    False

Horseradish

The root is harvested in the spring and fall and sold in 1200 pound pallets to processors who grate the root releasing the volatile oils that distinguish horseradish from all other flavors.
    The ground horseradish is then mixed with distilled vinegar to stabilize the "heat." This basic formula, which varies from processor to processor, may also contain spices or other ingredients – salt, sugar, cream or vegetable oil.
    But, generally speaking, horseradish and vinegar are the primary constituents in the basic prepared horseradish on the market today.

Fresh horseradish root is available year-round in most markets, but prime season is in spring.
    The roots are usually sold in 2-inch long sections (although the whole root can range up to 20 inches), measuring one to two inches in diameter. Choose roots that are firm and have no mold, soft or green spots. Older roots will look shriveled and dry. They may even begin to sprout. These are to be avoided.
    Horseradish is a member of the mustard family (sharing lineage with its gentler cousins, kale, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and the common radish) and is cultivated for its thick, fleshy white roots.

The bite and aroma of the horseradish root are almost absent until it is grated or ground. During this process, as the root cells are crushed, volatile oils known as isothiocyanate are released. Vinegar stops this reaction and stabilizes the flavor. For milder horseradish, vinegar is added immediately.

To relish the full flavor of processed horseradish, it must be fresh and of high quality. Color varies from white to creamy beige. As processed horseradish ages, it browns and loses potency.
    Buy only the amount you will use in a reasonable time.
    Keep in tightly covered jar in the refrigerator to protect freshness.

False

Horseradish storage

Store horseradish root unwashed in a plastic bag in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. It begins to dry up as soon as it is cut, so if you've purchased it at the market, try to use it within a week or two for fullest flavor. Once it is cut or grated, used within a few days unless you preserve it in vinegar (see tips below).

Freezing is not recommended for whole pieces. However, grated fresh horseradish may be frozen up to 6 months. You may wish to flash-freeze it by the tablespoon in ice trays or on waxed paper, and then place in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer. Keep in mind that it will lose pungency when frozen.

Prepared horseradish will last up to three months in the refrigerator. However, it quickly loses pungency and is best used within 3 to 4 weeks. When it begins to turn dark, it's time to toss it. Freezing of prepared horseradish is not recommended.

False

Horseradish cooking tips

Horseradish is best used freshly grated and raw.
    Scrub with a stiff brush and peel off the dark skin before using horseradish.
    In larger roots, the core may be fibrous and bitter. Remove and discard the core, along with any green spots.
    Horseradish is like the allium family -- the finer it is chopped or grated, the more pungent the flavor.
    When grating horseradish, it's easiest to use a food processor. Cut the peeled root into cubes and pulse to the desired consistency. The fumes will be quite strong and can actually burn your nose and eyes. Be sure to open a window, remove the lid at arm's length, and turn your head away.
    For homemade prepared horseradish, just add white vinegar and salt to taste while processing. Store in a lidded glass jar in the refrigerator up to six weeks.
    Fold 1 Tbsp fresh grated horseradish into stiffly-whipped heavy cream and salt to taste for a classic horseradish sauce to accompany beef dishes. Dill weed is also a tasty addition.
    Add 1 Tbsp fresh grated horseradish to 1 cup applesauce for a piquant condiment to pork dishes.
    When serving horseradish, do not use silver. Horseradish will tarnish silver.
    If you grow your horseradish, the young, tender green leaves are edible in salads and may also be cooked.
    If you want to retain the spicy zing of horseradish in cooked dishes, add it at the end of the cooking process, after the dish has been removed from the heat.
    1 Tbsp grated fresh horseradish = 2 Tbsp bottled prepared horseradish
    2 Tbsp prepared horseradish = 1 Tbsp dried + 1 Tbsp vinegar + 1 Tbsp water + salt to taste
    10 Tbsp prepared horseradish = 6 Tbsp dried powdered
    1-1/2 pounds fresh root = 2-3/4 cups peeled and grated
    1 8-ounce bottle prepared horseradish = 1 cup

False
    Oh syd,
    This brings up not so pleasant memories for me. My ex-husbands family used to get all of us involved in this process. One would wash and some would peel and some would grind and then all we did was put the horseradish in the cleam jars, cover them with distilled vinegar (white) and a teaspoon of salt in each jar. We did it outside and still you couldn't hardly stand to be around where they were grinding it. Oh my don't ever want to do that again. lol
    False

Apple Horseradish Sauce

4 Granny Smith apples
    2 fluid ounces cider vinegar
    2 ounces fresh horseradish, grated
    1 tsp paprika
    1 fluid ounce white wine

Grate the apples and moisten them with vinegar. Add the horseradish and paprika. Thin to the desired consistency with the wine.

Excellent served as a condiment for pork dishes.

Yield: 1 pint
    False

Crispy Potato Cakes with Horseradish

1 onion, grated
    3 baking potatoes, peeled and grated
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 large eggs
    3 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    6 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    Salt to taste
    Sour cream

In a bowl, combine the onion and potato. Add the flour and toss to mix well. Add the eggs, horseradish, lemon zest, fresh dill, salt, and pepper, and mix until well combined.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat until hot.
    For each cake, spoon about 3 heaping tablespoons of the potato mixture into the skillet. Cook pancakes for about 4 minutes on each side, or until well browned.
    Transfer the cakes to a paper towel-lined brown bag and season with additional salt, if desired.

Serve cakes with sour cream.

False
    My DMIL taught me that horseradish could be harvested in any month that had an "R" in it.

That's my rule of thumb.

Good enuf fer DMIL, good enuf fer me.
    False
    The rule of thumb I was taught was you should wait until after a good frost--the horseradish is best then.

Do be careful when you pare and grind it--don't get too close, the fumes are, well, they're chemically akin to mustard gas (the military weapon), so you don't want to breathe too much of it.
    False
    Any month with an "R" in is when to harvest. When you grind it donot add the white vinegar until your done if you like it hot. You can also add a little sugar if you want. We just put it in half pint jars and freeze it. Rose
    False
    My FIL used to say the same thing -- harvest in any month with an "R" in it. One year I dug it at the end of August. DH always teased me about digging it in Argust. LOL.

Sharon
    False
    Oh my gosh!!! I can't thank you all enough. I can't wait to try this. I think I'll hook up my food processor outdoors!! Sounds like the odor of grinding the roots is pretty potent!! Thanks again for all the advice!!! syd
    False