Rival Soup (Amish comfort food) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rival Soup (Amish comfort food)

Last post Sep 29, 2005 9:09 PM by Cooking4maxOH . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Rival Soup (Amish comfort food)
    This is what we had growing up. Mom made it a lot in the winter. It doesn't sound good, but it is wonderful

Rival Soup
    Rival's or dumplings
    1 egg well beaten
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 C. Flour

Combine flour, salt, and egg until mixture is dry and crumbly, a corse mixture. Set aside.

4 C. Milk
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    2 Tbsp. butter
    Put in saucepan over medium heat, bring to a simmer almost to boiling and stir in Rival's . Bring to a rapid simmer again and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Makes 4- 1 C. servings

You can add other things to this, but it is wonderful as is.
    False
  • RE: Rival Soup (Amish comfort food)
    Had a relative that would make this. Long time ago since I had it. When it was made, it had chicken, chicken stock, celery, carrots, and seasonings. Then the rivals were added.
    False
    Yep I know you can add anything you want. Did you like it that way?

I always come back to the same hot milk soup with dumplings, especially when I'm not feeling good or need a warm fix.

My DIL called me one winter a long time ago and wanted to know what Rival Soup was. Said that my ds said she needed to get the recipe from me and make him some. lol
    False
    I have posted a recipe in the past that is a chicken soup with rivals. My grandmother called rivals, "hard knots". I love the chicken soup with rivals and I'm sure I'd love this one too, although completely different. I love dough in any way shape or form.
    False
    RE: Amish Recipes
    Posted by: avidcookGA Posted on: 8/2/2002 6:40:15 AM
    #R502924
    I'm happy to share the recipe with you for Chicken Corn Noodle Soup. The Amish recipe calls for "rivels" instead of noodles. My grandmother used to call these "hard knots". Instead of a rolled out noodle, they are lumps of dough that are dropped into the soup. I like it with rivels but my dh does not, so I just use egg noodles in place of the rivals when I make it for him.
    Chicken Corn Soup
    from The Chesapeake Collection cookbook
    One 4 to 5 lb. stewing chicken
    3 quarts cold water
    1 Tablespoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 onion
    1 stalk of celery
    3 cups young sweet corn cut off cob or you can use frozen
    For rivels:
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 egg, slightly beaten

Boil chicken with salt, pepper, onion, and celery until meat is tender. Remove chicken from bones and reserve some of the bests pieces for pot pie or other uses. Cut enough of the chicken to make 2 cups. Strain the broth and add water necessaary to make 2 quarts. Bring broth to boiling point and put in cut chicken, corn, and rivels, which have been made by rubbing flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and beaten egg together between the palms of the hands to form small lumps. Stir constantly while rivels are being added. Cook about 10 minutes or until revels are done, stirring occsionally. Cooked rivels should have about the texture of boiled rice.
    **I adjust the seasoning to taste and add Maggi chicken bouillon flavor crystals as needed. I also chill the broth after I remove the chicken so that I can easily skim all the fat off the top before proceeding with adding the chicken and corn and rivels. Also when I make rivels, I make a ball of dough and just pinch off little pieces and drop it in the boiling broth.
    False
    Posted by: ToniTNY Posted on: 10/24/2002 9:56:18 PM
    #R730175
    Hey, Avidcook, our recipes are pretty similar. I though I would post this one, too. I just love it.

Chicken Corn Soup with Rivels:

3 to 3.5 lb. chicken cut up
    6 to 8 cups water
    1 medium onion sliced
    3 stalks celery shopped
    1 medium carrot chopped
    2 tsp salt
    celery seed (to taste, 1 to 2 tsp)
    1 can cream style corn

Rivels:

1 cup flour
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Mix all rivel ingredients until consistency of cornmeal

Place chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot, celery seed and salt in pot. Heat to boiling. Skim fat and reduce heat. Cover and simmer an hour to an hour and a half. Remove chicken, pull from bone and return to broth. Stir in corn. Heat to boil, then reduce heat. Sprinkle with egg rivel mixture. Stir rivels into soup. Cook uncovered at a simmer for 10 minutes.

Enjoy, Toni.
    False
    "Ribbelchen", small rubbed crumbs, resembling streusel.
    Ribbel is southern German dialect for "Geriebenes" or something rubbed. (Reiben + to rub).
    Here in ND the German speaking people from Russia also make small doughballs like that, cooked in a soup of potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
    My opiion (for whatever it is worth) I would double the egg called for to make those things easier to digest. They are not uniform in size like noodles and some get done and others taste just like wet doughballs.
    So, I would prefer home made fresh egg noodles of uniform size.JNHO.
    Grelo
    False
    thanks avidcook, they sound good too,.

I like the bigger rivels. I usually cook mine up to 20 minutes to make sure they are done. I've never tasted wet dough when I've made mine.

It's getting chilly here a pot of this sounds pretty good right now.
    Yum!
    False
    Oh this sounds goods! I copied these recipes and did a websearch and found more. I'll let you know what I think whenever I get around to making some!
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Avidcook -- more than 3 years later, can you believe it??? I hope things are well by you -- long time no see :)
    False
    Yes Zee, please let me know our whole family loves this and is definetly a comfort food for us. Yummy!
    False