OT-How Do You Clean Very Dusty Stuffed Animals? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT-How Do You Clean Very Dusty Stuffed Animals?

Last post Oct 10, 2005 1:51 PM by qagal . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • OT-How Do You Clean Very Dusty Stuffed Animals?
    I have a small collection of stuffed animals that have been sitting on a shelf up high for years. They are extremely dusty. I hate to even move them. We are getting ready to move in late November and I want to clean them up for a moving sale. I'v thought about putting them in the dryer with no heat, just tumble. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Denise
    False
  • RE: OT-How Do You Clean Very Dusty Stuffed Animals?
    I have always heard to do just what you mentioned. If you have a vacuum cleaner with attachments, you could vacuum them off.
    False
    You could also put in one of the Dry-Clean sheets with it (not a fabric softener), which may help get it clean without washing.
    False
    I always used to put them in the dryer on fluff--it blows a lot of the dust off them. Some of the worst ones, I tossed in the washer--some survived, some didn't, but I figured it was a last stop before the trash can anyway.
    False
    Vacuum them off first if you can and then toss in the dryer (No heat) with a damp, but not wet old towel. This will collect the dust. I would do just a few at a time as not to overload them. A good spray with Fabreze after they are finished and allowed to air for awhile before packing or sitting back out.
    This is what my DD does to the GD's collection every few months.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I knew I could count on the BB folks to help me out.

Denise
    False
    If it were me, I'd take them down, blow them off with a vacuum cleaner and then brush them off with a damp microfiber cloth. That 'new' cloth seems to attract dust and it won't do so much damage to the animals, as much as a dryer. (Most of my son's animals have small parts that wouldn't survive the heat of a dryer.) At least, this works with his. Just a thought. Trish
    False
    You know - I happened to remember when I had accumulated a lot of those little "household hints" columns (like Heloise), tidbits, etc. - I had finally gathered them together (for the family) & put them into a booklet & saved on 3 disks.

Here is what I'd found years ago (I don't remember that I used it even though my DD had lots of stuffed animals - simply gave back to her when she got married) .....

STUFFED TOYS (cleaning):
    Clean with dry cornstarch. Rub in, let stand briefly and brush off.

Good Luck,
    Dar
    False
    I heard of putting them in a pillowcase or mesh bag and then putting them through the washer and dryer.
    False
    I do what Darvr does but
    put them in a mesh bag in the
    dryer to fluff the dust off

Haven't lost a baby yet!

Kate
    False
    Thank you for all of your great suggestions. I just have to get up the nerve to haul them down from their shelf. I'm going to be sneezing like crazy. Maybe I can sweet talk DH into it.

Denise
    False
    I also put them in a mesh bag in the dryer, with no heat, a it not only gets rid of the dust but it fluffs them up. I do the same with bed pillows. It is amazing the dust and dirt that collect in them. thanks
    False
    I have a rainbow vacuum and I have put them in a leaf (sturdy) bag and taken the attachment and the vacuum sucked it down to just nothing-couch cusions the same way.
    Good Luck.
    Angie
    False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/
    I mix together some cornstarch and Johnson's baby powder, sprinkle all over the stuffed toy, let it sit for about 30 minutes, then brush it off.

works fine.

doris
    False