Buffalo NY, Firehouse Chowder | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Buffalo NY, Firehouse Chowder

Last post Sep 17, 2012 10:26 AM by LagarL . 58 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 4 (59 items) 1234
  • RE: Buffalo NY, Firehouse Chowder
    Bump-will be anxiously waiting for the recipe-I asked dh how to contact any of the firemen in western ny area and he said maybe try to see if they have websites. The cooperative extension was great idea too. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    False
    in search bos type in chicken chowder. i posted this recipe. it is originally from the Buffalo Evening News. It makes 20 gal. and is wonderful. I take some short cuts by using frozen veggies when i can. I think this is the one you are looking for. When we are having large party (130) I cut it in half and still had some left to freeze.
    False
    bump
    False
    bump
    False
    bump
    False
    bump again-Please post recipe when located :) :) Stay warm and have a good day!
    False
    bump
    False
    Photobucket
    bump
    False
    Lori Life's too short - have the whipped cream!
    Here is Ashlou's recipe.

Posted by: ashlou Posted on: 11/16/2003 8:13:02 AM
    #R2505753
    Zarbo's Grand Island Chicken Chowder
    12 lb. chicken
    10 lb. chuck roast
    30 lb. potatoes
    7 bunches celery
    8 lb. carrots
    1o lb. onions
    1 med. head cabbage
    (shredded)
    2 family size pkg. cut frozen green beans (12 cups)
    2 family size pkg. frozen whole kernel corn (12 cups)
    3 9 oz pkg. frozen peas
    1 9 oz. pkg. frozen yellow beans
    Celery salt -season to taste
    1 #10 can tomatoes (12 cups)
    5 cloves garlic
    1 bunch parsley
    6 cans (reg size) tomato soup
    3 cans cream corn

Weeks ahead of time: cook chicken in water to make broth. Remove chicken, debone and cut in pieces. Freeze chicken and broth separately. Cook chuck in water to make broth. Remove,debone and cut in pieces. Freeze meat and broth separately.
    Night before: Prepare vegetables. Peel potatoes. dice and cover with water. Chop celery, carrots and onion (food processer if possible) Grate cabbage. Throw meats and broth in fridge.
    Early in day of serving: Cook celery, carrots, onions in combined broths in covered pot till tender. Stir occasionally, add only necessary salt. Add green beans, cabbage, yellow beans, corn and peas. Bring to boil. Run tomatoes thru blender. Add along with garlic and parsley. Continue to cook, stir till almost done. Keep checking to make sure it doesn't stick or burn. Add water if necessary. Correct seasoning.
    Finally, add tomato soup, cream corn
    meat and chicken. Cook an hour or so, stirring frequently at this time. CHOW DOWN! ENJOY!
    False
    Ashlou's recipe looks pretty good and seems to have the right ingredients. One thing that I recall a Buffalo Fireman telling me years ago was that their chowder had alot of onions. Interestingly, Ashlou's recipe contains 10 lbs. of onions. unless someone replies with another recipe, I think I'll cut this recipe into quarters:

3 lbs. Chicken
    2.5 lb. Chuck Roast
    7.5 lbs. Potatos
    1.5 Bunches of Celery
    2 lbs. Carrots
    2.5 lbs Onions
    1/2 small head cabbage shredded
    3 cups frozen green beans
    3 cups frozen whole kernal corn
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup frozen yellow beans
    Celery Salt-season to taste
    1 28oz. can whole tomato's
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1.5 cans tomato soup
    1.5 cans cream corn

"Weeks ahead of time: cook chicken in water to make broth. Remove chicken, debone and cut in pieces. Freeze chicken and broth separately. Cook chuck in water to make broth. Remove,debone and cut in pieces. Freeze meat and broth separately.
    Night before: Prepare vegetables. Peel potatoes. dice and cover with water. Chop celery, carrots and onion (food processer if possible) Grate cabbage. Throw meats and broth in fridge.
    Early in day of serving: Cook celery, carrots, onions in combined broths in covered pot till tender. Stir occasionally, add only necessary salt. Add green beans, cabbage, yellow beans, corn and peas. Bring to boil. Run tomatoes thru blender. Add along with garlic and parsley. Continue to cook, stir till almost done. Keep checking to make sure it doesn't stick or burn. Add water if necessary. Correct seasoning.
    Finally, add tomato soup, cream corn
    meat and chicken. Cook an hour or so, stirring frequently at this time".
    False
    I finally have a fire in the kitchen! The fireman from North Tonawanda sent me the recipe. Here it is! I apologize if it's missing any details, but I think you can mostly follow it. This is the official firehouse recipe that is cooked in a stainless washing machine drum with the center welded together (in order to have a big enough pot). It's been fun tracking this one down for the BB.

CHOWDER RECIPE 20-22 GAL.

2 good size chickens, 6-8 lb.
    10 lb. beef & bones if available
    2 pecks potatoes,diced 1/2 bu., 30 lb.
    8-10 lb. carrots (diced)
    1-1/2 lb. onions (ground)
    1 c. salt, 1/2 c. pepper
    2 small cabbages (ground)
    4 bunches celery (chopped)
    8 cans peas (16-1/2 oz)
    8 cans cream corn
    8 cans tomatoes
    1 can tomato puree (paste)

Cook meat first & remove from broth. Boil in broth, all ingredients (except spuds) 45 min to 1 hr. Add spuds & meat --now stirring is a must --for about 25 min.
    False
    BRAVO!!!!! Great work everybody. I'm not sure yet how I'll modify these recipes for a "home" size batch, but this is great news. Special thanks to Ashlou/CookieCarol IL , and Amychris1. My only remaining issue with these recipes is the amount of water used to make the initial broth. Since the broth is going to be mixed with the other liquids (tomatos, cream corn......) ther's going to have to be enough to cover all the vegetables & meats. Any ideas?
    False
    By the way, CookieCarol, Ashlou's recipe has "1o lb onions" is this ten pounds or is it a typo and only one pound?
    False
    It IS 10 pounds.....onions are good for you!
    False
    Start with this easy recipe:
    Roasted Rosemary Chicken
    1 chicken cut into 8 pieces (3.5 lb.)
    2 T. olive oil
    1 onion, halved lengthwise and slivered
    1 T finely minced garlic
    1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves finely minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    2/3 c. prepared marinara sauce (I used a whole small jar).
    1/2 c water

1. Rinse chicken,& dry. Place in shallow dish.
    2. Wilt onion in olive oil in skillet for 5 min. Add garlic and cook, 5 more min. Add rosemary.(I didn't have fresh.)
    3.Preheat oven to 375
    4. Toss chicken with onion mixture. Season w/ salt & pepper. Top with sauce. Pour the water into the bottom of pan and bake about 60 min, basting often.
    --
    I made extra roasted potatoes,diced and sprinkled with McCormick's Garlic and Herb seasoning, and canola oil.They baked along with chicken on a separate tray. I kept leftovers for soup. (4 of us eat this for 2 days.)
    ---
    I reserved the juice and kept two pieces of chicken from this recipe. I left the juice overnight in the refrig. so I could skim off the fat in the morning. In a 5 qt. oval crockpot the next morning, I started a simple beef broth on HIGH using:
    Meaty Soup Bones
    1 can beef broth
    4 slices carrots
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 t. beef bouillon
    At noon, I added:
    deboned chicken from above recipe.
    leftover diced, roasted potatoes from above.
    reserve juice (sauce)from above recipe.
    1 can corn, undrained
    1 can green beans, undrained
    1 can diced tomatoes
    pepper sauce (sprinkled in)

At this time, I removed the bones from the meat.
    After it warmed a bit, I turned the crockpot to LOW until 5:00 p.m.
    --
    This seemed like an easy way to make the firehouse chowder, and I was able to feed a family of four for several days.
    --
    Has anyone else tried Firehouse Chowder????
    False