Recipe: From the 2005 Southern Living Christmas Book 2005 New Orleans Double-Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe: From the 2005 Southern Living Christmas Book 2005 New Orleans Double-Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake

Last post Oct 13, 2005 5:34 PM by blueridge_va . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Recipe: From the 2005 Southern Living Christmas Book 2005 New Orleans Double-Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake
    This is listed as the Editor's Favorite and is quite lenthy and will need to be typed over a couple of postings.
    This is for Sassy's request....Linda.
    False
  • RE: Recipe: From the 2005 Southern Living Christmas Book 2005 New Orleans Double-Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake
    From 25th. Anniversary Edition, "Christmas with Southern Living 2005

New Orleans Double-Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake
    This is Editor's Favorite.

Prep: 50 minutes
    Cook: 29 minutes
    Other: 55 minutes

1 cup butter or margarine
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Chocolate Ganache
    Praline Frosting

Grease bottoms of 3 (8") round cakepans; line with wax paper.Grease and flour wax paper and sides of pans.

Cook first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth; remove from heat.Cool.

False
  • RE: Recipe: From the 2005 Southern Living Christmas Book 2005 New Orleans Double-Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake
    continued:

Beat buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.Add butter mixture to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.(Batter will be thin.)Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

Bake at 350º for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.Remove from pans; immediately remove wax paper.Cool completely on wire racks.(Layers will appear thin.)

Spread about 1/2 cup ganache between cake layers; spread remainder on sides of cake (do not frost top of cake).Chill cake 30 minutes.Pour Praline Frosting slowly over top of cake, spreading to edges, and allowing some frosting to run over sides of cake.Freeze, if desired; thaw at room temperature 4 to 6 hours.Yield: 1 (3-layer) cake.
    False
    continued:

Chocolate Ganache

Cook: 3 minutes
    Other: 25 minutes

2 cups (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces

Microwave chocolate morsels and cream in a glass bowl (50% power) 2-3 minutes or until morsels are melted, stirring after 1 1/2 minutes; whisk until smooth.Gradually add butter, whisking until smooth.Cool, whisking often, about 25 minutes or until spreading consistency.Yield: about 2 cups.

Praline Frosting

Do not prepare ahead of time or it will harden.
    Cook: 4 minutes
    Other: 5 minutes

1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring often; boil 1 minute.Remove from heat, and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.Add toasted pecans, stirring gently 3 to 5 minutes or until frosting begins to cool and thicken slightly.Pour frosting immediately over cake.Yield: about 2 cups.
    False
    Oh, my goodness does this ever sound wonderful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this for me. I must try this for the holidays.

Hope you have a great day!!!!

♥ ♥ Sassygrits ♥ ♥

False
    I was hoping you'd find it Sassy, I posted a note on your other to say I'd type it for you.

Just thought I'd check what was up here after being gone for a week...

I absolutely LOVE the new TOH recipe finder!I never had the money to subscribe to all those issues, or Southern Living either.And now I can get many old originals...
    False
    Linda I would like to thank you as well. That looks wonderful!
    Have been so happy throughout the years with SL recipes and the Christmas book is not in my budget so really appreciate your posting it. Printing it out as well as copying it to make sure and try it.

Thanks you hugs,
    Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Linda, thanks for posting. This sounds good.

Kate
    False
    Thank you - blueridge - for all that typing!

Tria
    False
    Tria
    Didn't I just say goodbye to you?????
    How was your trip?
    This just looks awesome!!!! Wouldn't this be a pretty cake sitting on a buffet table!!!!

Thank you for all your hard work!!!
    That's a lot of typing. I typed up the Eggnog Cake on Microsoft Word, but am trying to decide how to get it in a post--guess if I divide it in half it will work.

Scarlett in FL
    False

SCARLETT IN FL

O.F.G. Rainbow over the River

You all are welcome...

I left on the 6th., Scarlett.I had several great days with my two grandkids.
    Well, the 17 year old is pretty busy with her college classes in Senior year H.S. (she got 1 B and the rest A's on her report card my DD just sent)+ she works at a transmission garage and then had a babysitting job too, over the week-end.
    But we had some fun here and there.She helped direct traffic for her school club at the Va-Tech football game.Those people are crazy, sitting in rain, ice, or snow but guess I'd do it for Nascar!
    The baby boy (her brother)is great-lots of kisses from him.

Eggnog cake sounds good.Cream cheese frosting?
    False
    Bump for others who may want this recipe.
    False
    I am so thankful you took all your time to do all this typing to post this special recipe for me that I want to make sure everyone gets a chance to see this before it goes bye, bye!!!

((((((((Linda))))))))

Sassygrits
    False
    I am typing out others on another post from the cookbook.I'm very happy to help.You all are wonderful.

Just wait till you get a load of the Chocolate Tiramisu Charlotte.It is gorgeous!
    False