1970's Betty Crocker Cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

1970's Betty Crocker Cookbook

Last post Nov 07, 2012 6:50 PM by _nlfPA . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • RE: 1970's Betty Crocker Cookbook
    Hi Debbie, my Mom had the early edition and I just loved hers...When you have the time please check on the Raisin Pie...it is very simple but the later BC cookbooks seem to add sour cream added and the old one was just raisins and lemon juice and the other ingred. thanks in advance....Shirley
    False

GranMarion____MN

I have an 1956 Betty Crocker cookbook from my mother. It is titled Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book revised and enlarged. The cover has color pictures of a cherry pie, turkey OR chicken, corn on the cob, cookies. The pictures with the recipes are all black and white, too.

I didn't know if Betty Crocker just reprinted older cookbooks ..... OR revised the cookbooks with different covers and different recipes. Thanks for letting me know.

(My 1980 cookbook seems so differnet from the 1956 cookbook.)

False

twogk, i just posted a separate thread for you - i think i have the raisin pie you're looking for!

-fluffy
    False
    I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work.
    sandim, i think i have the puddings you are looking for as well - i'll make a separate post for you too.

-fluffy
    ;-)
    False
    I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work.
    I'm glad my post helped all of you find some missing recipes and memories.
    Debbie
    False
  • Re: 1970's Betty Crocker Cookbook

I so very hope that you get this!!! I had two copies of this cookbook but when we moved from Oregon our uhaul was stolen with everything we owned in it

The most important recipe I need is the pepper steak recipe - my kids love it and I turn it into a stir fry!!!!

If you can help me, I will be forever thankful!!!

Sincerely,

Toni Hager

Meridian, ID

False

Toni Hager

Meridian, Idaho

• Re: 1970's Betty Crocker Cookbook

Hi Toni,

I didn't get this from Betty Crocker Cookbook; but from the BC website.

I hope this is what you were looking for:

Nancy

Pepper Steak

Bell pepper adds a spicy flavor to this hearty beef steak. Perfect when you want dinner to be ready in 45 minutes

1 1/2-lb beef top round or sirloin steak, 3/4 to 1 inch thick

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup water

1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 3/4-inch strips

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 teaspoons sugar, if desired

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 medium tomatoes

6 cups hot cooked rice

1 Remove fat from beef. Cut beef into 2x1/4-inch strips. (Beef is easier to cut if partially frozen, 30 to 60 minutes.)

2 In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef in oil about 5 minutes, turning frequently, until brown.

3 Stir in water, onion, garlic and gingerroot. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes for round steak, 5 to 8 minutes for sirloin steak, adding bell peppers during last 5 minutes of simmering, until beef is tender and peppers are crisp-tender.

4 In small bowl, mix cornstarch, sugar and soy sauce; stir into beef mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute; reduce heat to low.

5 Cut each tomato into 8 wedges; place on beef mixture. Cover and cook over low heat about 3 minutes or just until tomatoes are heated through. Serve with rice.

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention