Sweet Potato Recipe Needed using canned sweet potatos | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sweet Potato Recipe Needed using canned sweet potatos

Last post Nov 15, 2005 7:33 PM by elisia . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Sweet Potato Recipe Needed using canned sweet potatos
    Hi y'all! I am in a pickle here. I seem to have misplaced my favorite cookbook of all time. It has a sweet potato pie recipe in it using canned sweet potatos. I have used this recipe for years, it is the only way i make it. Please help me!

If you have a recipe for canned sweet potato pie please share! I have already bought the cans for it and am all set to make it but can't remember how! Please please please help!

thanks y'all!

Elisia
    False
  • RE: Sweet Potato Recipe Needed using canned sweet potatos
    I'm making this recipe this year for t-giving...Kay says it's a winner!

Posted by: KC10 Posted on: 6/4/2005 11:48:00 AM
    #R5823230
    Candied Yams

1/2 c. Karo® light or dark syrup
    40 oz. can cut sweet potatoes, drained
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    3 Tb. butter
    1 Tb. corn starch
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Place sweet potatoes in a shallow 1 1/2 - 2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    In small sauce pan over low heat melt butter.
    Stir in Karo® syrup, brown sugar, corn starch, salt and cinnamon.
    Cook and stir 1 - 2 minutes or until smooth. Pour evenly over sweet potatoes; stir gently
    to coat.
    Bake in 350º oven 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Kay says:
    Sweet potatoes is one of my favorite sides and this is possibly the best recipe I've ever
    found for them. Now whenever people know I'm gonna make the Candied Yams, everyone wants to know if I'm gonna make the ones with the cinnamon! LOL I generally
    serve this with a 7 layer salad, some type of creamy or augratin spuds and corn or green
    beans!
    False

SWEET POTATO PIE

1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
    1 (17 oz.) can sweet potatoes, drained
    1/2 c. butter, melted
    1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. lemon extract
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Whipped topping (opt.)

In large mixer bowl mash potatoes. Add butter, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Beat until smooth. Turn into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. If desired, serve with whipped topping.
    NOTE: Two cups mashed sweet potatoes may be substituted for canned sweet potatoes.

False

Cool

Sweet Potato Cream Pie
    (Texas Sweet Potato Council
    and Texas Department of Agriculture)

2 cups mashed sweetpotatoes
    1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
    2 eggs, at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 (9") unbaked pastry shell
    1-cup heavy whipped cream
    3/4 cup pecans, chopped

Combine sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, salt and spices and beat until smooth. Pour mixture into pastry shell and bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. and continue baking for 25 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and garnish with whipped cream and chopped nuts. (Refrigerate prior to serving). Yields: 8 servings.

Nutrients per serving:
    Calories: 236, Protein: 4.2 g., Carbohydrates: 35.2, Dietary fiber: 1.7 g., Fat 9 g., Cholesterol: 54.2 mg, Vitamin A: 1112 RE; Vitamin C: 10.1 mg, Calcium: 90.6 mg

Note I:
    For extra flavor, add 1/2 tsp. each of cinnamon and nutmeg, or a tbsp. of grated lemon rind and 2 tbsp. of lemon juice. For baking pie without crust, pour ingredients into a greased 9-in pie plate and bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees F. or until inserted knife comes out clean.

Note II:
    Canned or frozen sweet potatoes may be substituted for the fresh form in any recipe calling for cooked sweet potatoes as the starting point. Canned sweet potatoes are generally smaller in diameter because of their better canning qualities. Six to eight canned sweet potatoes are approximately the equivalent of four medium fresh sweet potatoes.

November 2002 Texas Cooking
    False

Cool

I have a fantastic recipe for Sweet potato turnovers and there's cream cheese in the crust...not a pie though but this thread made me think of it!

I should go look for it...
    False
    Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Leaves Time for Family Find a Timesaving Holiday Tradition in a Can of Yams or Sweett Potatoes

SILOAM SPRINGS, Ark., Oct. 29 /PRNewswire/ --

Maintaining your poise during the holiday season is often a balancing act. You want traditional dishes like sweet potato pie, but it takes time to make them -- time that could otherwise be spent with your family.

If you feel the stress of the kitchen-to-family balancing act, relax and let
    the solution out of the can. Dishes made with canned sweet potatoes like
    Princella or Sugary Sam leave you worry free because they score big on
    convenience, taste, and nutrition.

Fresh sweet potatoes need to be cleaned, cooked, and peeled before adding to any recipe. In contrast, canned sweet potatoes are recipe ready right from the can. Open, drain, add to your favorite recipe, and enjoy the extra time with your loved ones.

False

Cool

And put yourself at ease. Whether you're making a traditional holiday recipe or a year-round favorite, canned sweet potatoes give you the quality you deserve. Studies show that recipes made using canned vegetables like Princella or Sugary
    Sam Sweet Potatoes are comparable in taste and nutrition to recipes made with fresh.

So maybe it's time to change your traditions. Try our sweet potato pie recipe and enjoy a traditional dish with your family. Or visit
    www.allencanning.com for new holiday classics like "Basil and Pecan
    Sweet Potato Bake."

Sweet Potato Pie

2 eggs
    1 can (15 oz.) Princella or Sugary Sam Cut Sweet Potatoes, drained
    1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. cloves
    1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell

False

Cool

Preheat oven to 425°-degrees F.
    Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl.
    Add sweet potatoes and mix with a hand mixer for 3 minutes.
    Stir in evaporated milk and mix for 2 minutes or until smooth.
    Add sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and mix until well blended.
    Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature
    to 350-degrees F and bake for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted
    near center comes out clean.
    Cool for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Serves: 8

DATASOURCE: Allen Canning Company

CONTACT: Rob Carviou for Allen Canning Company, +1-920-435-9800,

Web site: www.allencanning.com/

False

Cool

Sweet Potato Pie (Firefly's)

Okay folks, here's the new sweet potato pie recipe I used yesterday to rave reviews. It's not exactly a scratch recipe, but I’m sure if you wanted to go fresh, you could.

Ingredients:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar *
    2 large eggs
    1 (15.5 ounce) can mashed yams **
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated skim milk
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice***
    2 (9 inch) deep-dish pie shells
    2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
    2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    Lightly whipped cream (optional)

Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
    2. Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in sugar. Reduce mixer speed and add eggs, one at a time. Beat in yams, evaporated milk, and pumpkin pie spice.
    3. Pour filling into pie shells. Bake pies 30 to 35 minutes until edges puff, crust browns, and custard is set.
    4. Meanwhile, mix the pecans, brown sugar, and butter. Set aside. Remove pies from oven. Sprinkle with pecan mixture and return to oven 7 to 10 minutes longer, until topping is golden brown and crisp. Cool pies on rack completely. Garnish with whipped cream. (Baking times may very. Custards may need additional time to set; I think I went 40-45 minutes)

*I cut a 1/4 cup of sugar out when I made this recipe. I figured since the canned sweet potatoes were in syrup, they'd be plenty sweet. We didn't miss that 1/4 cup of sugar at all.

**If you are using fresh sweet potatoes, you will need to cook them. Boil them, skin on, until tender. Rinse with cool water. Peel and mash.

***I can't use pumpkin spice due to an allergy. I used 1/2 tsp of Nutmeg, 1/8 tsp of Ginger, and 1/8 tsp Cinnamon.
    False

Cool

Thorup's Sweet Potato Pie

1 1/2 cups fresh (cooked) or canned sweet potatoes or yams
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 cup evaporated milk
    2 Tablespoons butter, very soft
    1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
    Whipped Cream (optional)

Drain mashed sweet potatoes or yams. Mash until free of lumps. Add sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Mix well. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Blend in milk and butter. Continue to mix until all ingredients are well blended. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit. Serve hot with whipped cream (optional).

False

Cool

Yield: 1 pie
    Southern Sweet Potato Pie

1/3 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (if using canned sweet potatoes, do not use ones packed in syrup)
    3/4 cup evaporated milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and stir. Add sweet potatoes and mix well. Stir in milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt, making sure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Pour into pie shell and bake 40 minutes. When using a store-bought pie shell, use a 9-inch deep-dish shell.

Source:Yankee Magazine Reader Shared Recipes
    False

Cool

See note at bottom of recipe for canned sweet potatoes:

Homemade Sweet Potato Pie

Fresh sweet potatoes taste delicious when made into a pie and flavored with cinnamon and ginger.

Crust Ingredients:
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup cold LAND O LAKES® Butter
    3 to 4 tablespoons cold water

Filling Ingredients:
    1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    4 medium (1 1/2 cups) sweet potatoes, cooked skins removed, mashed*
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 cup evaporated milk
    3 large eggs

Topping Ingredients:
    Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
    Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened. Shape into ball; flatten slightly.
    Roll out ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan. Crimp or flute edge. Set aside.
    Combine all filling ingredients except evaporated milk, eggs and whipped cream in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Reduce speed to low; add milk and eggs. Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
    Pour filling into crust. Bake for 50 to 605 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. If crust is browning too quickly, cover edge with 2-inch strip of aluminum foil. Cool completely. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired. Store refrigerated.
    Makes 8 servings.

*Substitute 1 1/2 cups vacuum-packed canned mashed sweet potatoes.

Nutrition Facts (1 serving):
    Calories: 390
    Fat: 12 g
    Cholesterol: 100 mg
    Sodium: 290 mg
    Carbohydrates: 64 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2 g
    Protein: 7 g

Recipe provided courtesy of Land O Lakes, Inc.
    False

Cool

Sweet Potato Deluxe Pie

1 (15-oz.) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup evaporated skimmed milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    1 (9-inch) pie shell, unbaked

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes with and electric mixer until smooth. Blend in brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until smooth. Sprinkle marshmallows and pecans on the bottom of unbaked pie shell. Pour batter carefully on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until set. To prevent overbrowning of topping and crust, tent foil loosely over pie while baking, being careful not to touch topping. Remove foil, if needed, during last 10 minutes of baking to allow crust and topping to brown. Makes 8 servings.

Per serving: CAL 343 (36% from fat); FAT 14g; PROTEIN 5g; CARB 51g, CHOL 59mg; SODIUM 163mg; SATURATED FAT 4g; DIETARY FIBER 3g

* Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
    False

Cool

Sweet Potato Pecan Crumble Pie

The ultimate pie! The crumbly topping with the crunchy bottom and the rich filling makes this the most outstanding sweet potato pie you will ever eat!

1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, divided
    1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
    4 (15 oz.) can sweet potatoes, drained or 1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1 (12 oz.) can evaporated skimmed milk
    2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3 tbsp margarine

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup pecans. Sprinkle on bottom of pie shell. In a mixing bowl, mix together the sweet potato, sugar, eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, allspice, milk, and 1 tsp vanilla. Pour into pie shell and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 25 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, remaining 1 tsp vanilla, and margarine with a fork until crumbly. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup pecans. Sprinkle over pie and continue baking for another 20 minutes, or until done. Makes 8 to 10 servings

Per serving: CAL 351 (37% from fat); FAT 15g; PROTEIN 7g; CARB 49g; CHOL 48mg; SODIUM 205mg; SATURATED FAT 4g; DIETARY FIBER 2g

Diabetic Exchanges: 3.5 other carbohydrate, 3 fat

False

Cool

Yam Pecan Pie

Throw in a twist to your typical desserts this holiday season with a different style of Pecan Pie! For a healthy approach, try a graham cracker crust.

1 refrigerated 9-inch pie crust
    1 (15 oz.) can yams (sweet potatoes) drained and mashed or 1 cup fresh yams, cooked and mashed
    2 large eggs, divided
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    3 large egg whites
    2/3 cup dark corn syrup
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2/3 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay pie crust in a 9?inch pie dish. In a mixing bowl, blend together the yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crust. In a mixing, bowl, beat together the remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar, and vanilla until mixture is frothy. Stir in pecans. Carefully spoon over yam layer. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is set around edges or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean. Cool and serve. Makes 8 servings.

Per serving: CAL 338 (42% from fat); FAT 17g; PROTEIN 3g; CARB 47g; CHOL 32mg; SODIUM 249mg

False

Cool