Out of evaporated milk? You can still make pumpkin pie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Out of evaporated milk? You can still make pumpkin pie

Last post Nov 23, 2005 1:38 PM by enjoynature . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Out of evaporated milk? You can still make pumpkin pie
    I found a recipe in our paper the other day using condensed milk instead of evaporated milk so tried it yesterday. Taste and texture are exactly the same. Just eliminate the sugar and use the condensed instead of the evaporated. I had bought 3 cans of it the previous week as they were on sale for $1 but wouldn't use it normally as it is so expensive unlesss I was out of the evaporated.
    Elizabeth
    False
  • RE: Out of evaporated milk? You can still make pumpkin pie
    I always use sweetened condensed milk in my Pumpkin pie. This pie never, and I mean never lasts more than one day. I'm fortunate to get one piece. This is the way I make mine; its different from the regulr Eagle Brand recipe:

Lou's Pumpkin Pie

1 can pumpkin
    1 can sw. condensed milk
    2/3 C. milk
    2 eggs
    1 t. cinnamon
    1/2 to. ginger
    1/2 t. nutmeg

Blend all ingredients together.
    Bake pie at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Then continue baking at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes, until done.

When you make the crust, I usually prebake the crust for 10 minutes and then fill. I also place the pie on a pizza pan and bake it.

I use a vegetable oil crust.

Lou in FL
    False
    bump
    False
    My mom's recipe, which I love, uses whole milk. It's very creamy and delicious. The recipe is on my web site at http://piechef.com/recipes/goosie_pumpkin.html
    False
    Here's my recipe using ice cream...rich and delicious!

AUTUMN PUMPKIN PIE

Serves: Fills 2 - 9" deep dish frozen pie shells
    Effort: Easy
    Comments: My “favorite” pumpkin pie recipe! A delicious end to any holiday meal.

Ingredients:
    1 ½ pints (3 cups) French vanilla ice cream, softened
    3 eggs
    1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
    ¾ cup granulated sugar
    ½ tsp. salt
    ½ Tbs. ground cinnamon
    ¼ tsp. ginger
    ¼ tsp. nutmeg
    2 - 9" unbaked deep dish frozen pie shells

Directions:
    Place ice cream near warm oven to soften. In large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Stir in the pumpkin puree, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Mix in softened ice cream until smooth. Pour filling into pie shells. Bake for 15 minutes @ 425º. Reduce temperature to 350º and bake an add’l 30-40 minutes or until filling is set. Note: I place a sheet of aluminum foil over top of pies after approx. 20 minutes or until desired brownness is reached.

----------------------------------------
    False
    False
    I have seen the recipes using the sweetened condensed milk and never really gave it much thought. Seemed like it would be too sweet. And that milk is always more expensive than the evaporated. Now I guess I will try it since it looks like the sweetened milk takes the place of the sugar and milk.

Gail
    False
    I always just use regular milk in place of evaporated milk when I make pumpkin pies.
    False