How long do you bake a sweet potato? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How long do you bake a sweet potato?

Last post Nov 21, 2005 5:36 PM by motherofdogs . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • How long do you bake a sweet potato?

This may sound strange but I have never baked a sweet potato. I love having them in resturants with butter, cinnamon, brown sugar.... etc. But I have never done it at home. How long does it take, what temp do you bake them on? Do you wrap them in foil or leave them naked? What do you like topping them with?

Thanks,
    Carrie
    False
  • RE: How long do you bake a sweet potato?
    I bake them for my 13 month old daughter all of the time. I make them for her when I am baking regular potatoes, so I do Sweet potatoes that same way. About an hour or so on 400. I go a little longer if the potatoes are bigger. I don't wrap them, I just poke them a few times with a fork and toss them in the oven. For her I just mash them, but I likethem with butter.
    False
    Depending on the size of the sweet potato. I bake mine between 4-5 minutes on high. Wash the potato - stick with tines of a fork two places.
    Lay on a white paper towel. Turn over when half of the time has elapsed. Squeeze to see that it has gotten soft. Wrap in a teatowel for two minutes to finish cooking. Enjoy. I just use butter on mine. You can bake white potatoes the same way but they take a little longer.
    False
    Ops forgot to say this is in the microwave.

Margaret
    False
    I bake them as Loriann says, but I put foil under them because they tend to leak
    False
    I bake them basically the same as white potatoes...usually about an hour. Of course this depends on the size.

Once they are done, I cut them in half lengthwise, punch around a little with a fork, stick some butter slices down in places I have made with the fork, sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top, and place under the broiler for a minute or so...just until the sugar has melted.

I serve them without taking off the bottom peeling. They are wonderful.

Fratz
    False
    Might not have been too clear on this...we don't eat the peelings...just the potato. Also, I don't stick holes in them before baking.

Fratz
    False
    A long time, if you have large potatoes. I baked mine for at least 1 1/2 hours..probably a little longer, until I could feel they were soft. Trish

Subject: REC: Baked Steakhouse Sweet Potatoes
    Posted by: patriciarose
    Replies: 4Posted on: 6/4/2005 6:45:25 PM#T525569
    Oh my gosh! I made these for dinner tonight......I've never had them, but my neighbor told me that they are better than plain old potatoes. Well, I'm a potato fanatic, but these came pretty close to 'ggrrreeeaaattt'! I don't know if it's the cinnamon or what, but they were great! Let me know what you sweet potato lovers think out there!!!! Trish

Baked Steakhouse Sweet Potatoes

1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    5 tablespoons granulated onion
    5 tablespoons granulated garlic
    5 tablespoons ground black pepper
    1 cup granulated sugar
    4 to 6 large to jumbo sweet potatoes
    1/4 cup (about) virgin olive oil to coat potatoes
    Butter, cinnamon and brown sugar to fill sweet potatoes

Place all seasoning ingredients in large, stainless steel mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush scrubbed sweet potatoes with oil to coat well. Season sweet potatoes generously, using 1 to 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix depending on size of sweet potato. Set sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven until soft in the center, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When done, remove from oven and slit top of each sweet potato. Press ends to open. Fill each sweet potato with soft butter that has been mixed with a little cinnamon and brown sugar to taste. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
    False
    Thanks, Carrie, for asking this question. Thanks to all of you who replied! I needed this information, and I'll find it very helpful. DH doesn't eat sweet potatoes or yams or squash (except for sweet potato fries), so I'll do this for myself sometime for lunch!
    False