? RE: chocolate or caramel dipped pretzel rods | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

? RE: chocolate or caramel dipped pretzel rods

Last post Sep 04, 2007 8:34 AM by MytFly . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ? RE: chocolate or caramel dipped pretzel rods
    I have bought the ingredients to make the caramel and chocolate dipped pretzel rods. I was given some last year and we really enjoyed them. I also think they can be very pretty. My question is this, has anyone ever made them and how long will they stay fresh? The ones we received were a little soft. I cover the tiny pretzels with almond bark and they stay fresh "crunchy" for at least 2 weeks or so. I just don't want to make these to far in advance.

Turtle Pretzel Rods

1 bag caramels -- (14 oz.)
    2 teaspoons water
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 bag pretzel rods -- (10-ounce)
    1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I like to use milk
    chocolate)
    2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (not butter)
    1 cup very finely chopped pecans

Unwrap caramels and place in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add water. Microwave on High (100 percent) power 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until caramels are melted and smooth. (For ease of stirring, coat spoon with cooking spray.)

Coat a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Dip half of each pretzel into hot caramel; twirl to coat. Let excess drip from pretzel, and then place on coated foil.

Place chocolate chips and shortening in a clean 2-cup glass-measuring cup. Microwave on High for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until shortening melts, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until chocolate melts. Dip caramel- coated end of pretzel sticks in chocolate; roll tips in nuts. Refrigerate immediately. Remove from refrigerator about 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 24 pretzel sticks.

Tester's note: This recipe is slightly messy but fun to make. The result is a great combination of sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy.

Thanks!
    DoveChocolate

False
  • RE: ? RE: chocolate or caramel dipped pretzel rods
    I have stored these in the freezer and they work out well.
    False

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Bump
    False
    Sounds really good -- thanks.
    False
    DoveChocolate, here is a recipe I have made - at the bottom it tells how long to store them. I would imagine it would be the same with your recipe (which is on my "to make for Christmas" list now!). Hope this helps.
    Suziee

Pretzel Dippers
    2 1/2 (8 ounce) packages semisweet chocolate squares *
    12 (8-inch long) baked pretzel rods
    Toppings: chopped toasted nuts, chopped dried
    fruit, flaked coconut, almond brickle chips, mini
    peanut-butter pieces, green and red sprinkles

* Do NOT use semisweet chocolate chips as they will not set up correctly.

Place chocolate in 4-cup measuring cup or large glass bowl. In microwave oven, cook, covered with wax paper, on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes, until almost melted, stirring occasionally until smooth. (Or, in 3-quart saucepan, heat chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth.)

Meanwhile, place each topping choice on sheet of wax paper.

Holding 1 pretzel rod at a time over melted chocolate, spoon some chocolate over pretzel to coat, leaving about 2 inches uncoated at one end. Immediately sprinkle coated pretzel with choice of topping. Carefully place coated pretzel rods in pie plate or shallow bowl, leaning uncoated portion on edge (try to keep pretzels from touching one another) and refrigerate about 15 minutes to set coating.

Apply a second coating of melted chocolate and choice of topping to each pretzel as above; refrigerate about 15 minutes to set coating. Store at room temperature in tightly covered container, with wax paper between layers, up to 2 weeks.
    False
    False

I hate to be a naysayer, but I decided last Christmas was finally the year I was going to try these. They were a mess. Messy to make, they did not look pretty and they ended up and stayed very sticky and overly chewy. They stuck to the wax paper I put them on and I've NEVER had any kind of candy stick to wax paper. I don't know if I did something wrong, but I've been baking and making candy for years, so it's not like I was a novice. I definitely won't make them again. I agree that the pretzels with almond bark are yummy and stay pretty and fresh. If you do make these, I'd love to hear how they turn out for you. Like I say, maybe I just did something wrong.
    False
    Emily