What good side dish do you think would go good with Prime Rib?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What good side dish do you think would go good with Prime Rib??

Last post Nov 26, 2007 8:06 AM by Appy_Girl . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • RE: What good side dish do you think would go good with Prime Rib??
    One of my favorite party vegetable dishes is:

SPINACH ROCKEFELLER

2 10oz. pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup minced green onion
    4 T butter, melted
    1/4 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
    1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/8 tsp. dried thyme
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/4 tsp. salt
    9 or 10 tomato slices, 1/2" thick
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Cook spinach and drain thoroughly. In a bowl, place spinach, bread crumbs, green onion, eggs, melted butter, Parmesan, garlic, thyme,
    pepper, and salt. Mix well to blend thoroughly.

Arrange tomato slices on a baking sheet; sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Spoon 1/4 cup spinach mixture on each, shaping into a dome. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, until set and heated through. (Can be assembled ahead and refrigerated. If cold, bake 25 - 30 minutes. As an alternate, I sometimes pile the spinach mixture on cooked artichoke bottoms. The tomato slices, though, add a nice spot of color to the meal.)
    False
    spinach salad
    twice baked potatoes
    asparagus with lemon & butter
    sauteed mushrooms
    False
    Lawry's restaurant has been serving Prime Rib since the 50's, I think. Maybe earlier.
    They traditionally serve it with mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and a horseradish sauce.
    It's old fashioned, and I like some of the other recommendations listed here better, but that seems to be the traditional combination.
    Unless you go with Yorkshire pudding. Very British traditional.
    False
    Prime Rib Roast:

Allow meat to come to room temperature before roasting. Season with salt and pepper, during or after roasting. Place meat fat side up. The ribs will act as a rack for the roast. Do not baste, add water or cover. Insert a meat thermometer so that the tip is in the center of the thickest part of the meat and does not touch bone or fat. Roast at 325( Time chart will follow)
    Roasts are easier to carve if allowed to rest for 15-20 minutes after removing from the oven. Since meat continues to cook after removed from the oven and allowed to rest it should be removed when the thermometer registers 5-10 degrees lower then the desired times.

Rib Roast:

6-8 pounds( With the rib)

140 degrees( rare) 23-25 minutes per pound
    160 degrees( medium) 27-30 minutes per pound
    170 degrees( well) 32-35 minutes per pound

Rib Roast:

4-6 pounds( Boneless)

140 degrees ( rare) 26-32 minutes per pound
    160 degrees( medium) 34-38 minutes per pound
    170 degrees ( well) 40- 42 minutes per pound

* There is another method of cooking the roast at a higher temperature for a shorter period of time, then you turn the oven off and allow the roast to finish cooking in the oven, with the door closed. Roasting time depends on the size of the roast and the desired doneness. I'll find the recipe for that method and will post it also in case you are interested.
    The rest of the instructions apply to that method as well.

* Most important thing is to bring the roast to room temperature before roasting.~~Janie~~

False
    Yorkshire Pudding:

The pudding puffs high during baking, then collapses in the center, leaving high crispy edges.
    You can still serve potatoes of choice with this wonderful side, next to the beef~~

Yorkshire Pudding
    Ingredients:
    1 cup of flour( do not use self-rising)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup of milk
    2 eggs

Mix all together, with a hand beater ( I just use a whisk)just until smooth

Thirty minutes before the roast is done prepare the pudding recipe.
    Heat a square pan 9x9x2 inches in the oven. Remove the roast from the oven, spoon off the drippings and add melted shortening if needed to measure a 1/2 of cup( I have used bacon drippings with success)
    Increase the oven temp to 425. Return the roast to the oven. Place the drippings in the heated square pan. Pour in the batter. Bake 10 minutes. Remove the roast and continue baking the pudding for another 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares.
    Serves 6-9

* This is not traditional but I add a little thyme to the batter. ~~Janie~~
    False
    I agree with the yorkshire pudding. But I put the grease in muffing tins, get it hot and pour the batter in about half way.

I get the cutes single little yorkshire puddings. Wonderful with gravy too.

Linda
    False
    About 5 or 6 days before I am going to cook it I take a salty auju and rub the outside of it. Food supply stores carry a beef base in paste form. You use the paste right out of the jar. Do not mix with water. Each day I put a new coating on it. You will see each day it hardens. You will never have a better prime rib in your life!!!!!!! My husband bakes it slow to about Rare in the middle and medium rare on the outside. Just remember as you take it out of the oven it will cook as it sits. A restaurant I used to work in used to cook all the prime rib Rare and keep a crock pot filled with auju warming. When someone wanted it Medium or Well the cooks dunked it in the Auju until it was desired doneness. It was never dry and you would never be able tell it was even cooked longer. By the way I think I am misspelling Auju. I'm Italian.
    False
    Did I miss the recipe for the crock pot corn with cream cheese?? would someone please post it.

Thanks!
    False
    ~~~Janie~~
    False
    I am making twice bakes, roasted carrots, cranberries and a green salad with my Prime Rib.

Our appetizers are Smoked Salmon Spread, Marinated Olives, crackers and cheese and roasted red pepper hummus and veggies.
    False
    Bumping original post
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Alliea, You find the best oldies~
    Love both of the spinach recipes~ Janie~
    False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.