sweetened condensed milk turns into caramel?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

sweetened condensed milk turns into caramel??

Last post Aug 02, 2007 7:45 AM by dutchmom4MI . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • sweetened condensed milk turns into caramel??
    Last night my neighbor brought me a can of sweetened condensed milk that he turned into caramel. Has anybody ever heard of this? He said he boiled the can in water for an hour. I just opened it and it is caramel. Weird huh??

I can't decide if I like it or not. It is extremely sweet and I am partial to Tastefully Simples jar of caramel.

Shannon
    False
  • RE: sweetened condensed milk turns into caramel??
    Shannon, many people here have tried this and swear by it. You can do a search for it and will find many conversations about it.
    False
    If I put sweetened condensed milk then a million things come up.
    False
    Confessor, My friend makes this all the time. I was amazed the first time I saw it too. If you consider doing this, be very careful, as it is dangerous, and the can could explode. If you go to eagle brands site the have several alternate methods on how to do it more safely. I think its really yummy, but then again i can eat the milk right out of the can with a spoon, not cooked. LOL...

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~

I do it the same way your neighbor does. The key is to keep the can covered with water. Here is the method posted by Susie.

-------

RE: ISO; instructions for boiling Sweetened Condensed Milk
    Posted by: suzycreamcheese_MI Posted on: 12/22/2003 7:52:28 AM
    #R2701756

Put in pan of water, bring to a boil and simmer gently for about three hours, I think. Keep covered just in case of explosion, add water if needed to prevent from boiling dry. I had no problems at all, but obviously you need to be careful!

~~susie.

False

Posted by: cinnamama Posted on: 12/22/2003 10:19:25 AM
    #R2702533
    It is unsafe to boil sweetened condensed milk but I have three other methods you can use.

1. STOVETOP: Pour 1 can sweetened consendensed milk into top of a double boiler pan; cover. Place over boiling water. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 40 to 50 minutes, or until thick and light caramel colored. Remove from heat. Beat until smooth.

2. OVEN: Preheat oven to 425*. Pour 1 can Sweetened Condensed milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in shallow pan (pan should be larger than pie plate). Fill pan with water. Bake for 50 to 60 minuutes, or until thick and light caramel colored. Pour milk into small mixer bowl; beat until smooth.

3. MICROWAVE: Pour 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk in a large microwave safe bowl. Cook on medium (50%) power for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time. Reduce power to medium-low (30%) power; cook for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring with wire whisk every few minutes, until thick and light caramel colored. Note: Microwave ovens vary; adjutst timing accordingly.

False

Here is one of the threads.

ISO; instructions for boiling Sweetened Condensed Milk by patonplace_IA
    http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=276537&searchrep=2702533#search

False

I have used this method to make a pie. I cook the can for around 6 hours. Always keep adding water. It turns out very thick, and you can slice it. I have also made a candy by wrapping the caramel around small squares of cream cheese and rolling in chopped nuts. Yum!
    False
    bump
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Keep in mind that this is EXTREMELY dangerous to do and NOT recommended. There are safer methods--you can check the Eagle Brand website for them.

If you do decide to give this experiment a try, be sure to read everything you can about it, so that you, your family and your kitchen survive the experience.
    False
    I used to do it alot and fortunately was not injured during the experience. I can only plead ignorance. However I have always found the result delicious, particularly when spread on slices of a crispy, juicy apple.
    False
    If you go to Eagle Brands website there is a safer way to do it. I think you cook it in the oven. Boiling the milk can be very dangerous.

Debbie
    False

In addition to the Stove, Oven, and Microwave Methods that I posted on the first page, here is the Crockpot Method (which I accidentally forgot).

------------

Posted by: MN_Mom Posted on: 12/13/2005 7:48:42 AM
    #R6855420

I tried this in the crock pot last week and it worked great! I set it on high and once I saw the bubbles forming around the edge, I added the cans. It boiled like it would have on the stove. When time was up, I just turned it off and unplugged it. I took the cans out when it had cooled enough so I could use my hands to pull the cans out.

False

There have been many conversations about this - but my problem is - whenever I see the word "explosion" in recipe instructions - I generally "avoid"!

I'm sure this can be done successfully but I will not be one to try it. LOL!

Tria
    False
    Tria

bump for confessor

False