how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?

Last post Dec 19, 2013 1:54 AM by tawny77 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?
    want to make the yummy pb fudge!
    False
  • RE: how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?
    1 cup=8 ounces
    2 cups= 16 ounces
    False
    Which PB Fudge are you making?
    False
    weight and volume aren't always the same. you're better off measuring it than just assuming the 16 oz jar is 2 cups.
    False

DorothyR in Malibu's recipe that Star said was excellent
    False
    Good choice!!!
    False
    Good choice!!!
    False
    ok found a conversion calculator that also lets you choose the food.

16 oz of peanut butter =1.76 cups

so to answer your question 1 3/4 cups. it's that pesky weight vs volume thing again.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cookingconversions.asp?Action=find
    False

My buckeye candy recipe calls for 2 cups peanut butter. I found out that equals an 18 ounce jar--so no sticky measuring cups!
    False
    False

• Re: how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?
    The 2 cup=16 oz is for fluid oz, and since peanut butter isn't a fluid, we can't really use that conversion. Since we are converting weight (mass) to volume, we need an equation that has both of these variables and density is the perfect equation for this. A quick google search for the density of peanut butter (without nuts) was found to be 9.1 oz per 1 cup. So using the equation of density=mass/volume, and rearranging for your volume, volume=mass/density, volume=(needed mass)/9.1=your desired volume. So for your 16 oz of peanut butter, Volume=16oz/9.1=1.758cups, or 1 3/4 cups of peanut butter.
    False

I just made a peanut butter cookie recipe yesterday.  16 ounces of Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter equaled 1 1/2 cups when I took it out of the jar. I discovered this after I mixed all the oil in by hand and then put it into the mixing bowl from the measuring cups!

False

Patty

:) Happy to be a Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor

...Today is a gift, That's why it's called the Present
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Cookbooks should be read like novels!

So true, a big difference when it comes to liquid weight vs. dry weight, that's why God created 2 sets of measuring cups.

A simple hint: when measuring any sticky ingredients into a measuring container, either wipe the container with a bit of vegetable oil or a spray, do the same to the measuring utensil.  Item will easily be released and clean up is easier.  I'm sure everyone here already knows that.

False