how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter? | Taste of Home Community
Show Subscription Form

how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?

Last post Apr 13, 2015 9:36 PM by tigereye79 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?
    want to make the yummy pb fudge!
    False
  • RE: how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?
    1 cup=8 ounces
    2 cups= 16 ounces
    False
    Which PB Fudge are you making?
    False
    weight and volume aren't always the same. you're better off measuring it than just assuming the 16 oz jar is 2 cups.
    False

DorothyR in Malibu's recipe that Star said was excellent
    False
    Good choice!!!
    False
    Good choice!!!
    False
    ok found a conversion calculator that also lets you choose the food.

16 oz of peanut butter =1.76 cups

so to answer your question 1 3/4 cups. it's that pesky weight vs volume thing again.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cookingconversions.asp?Action=find
    False

My buckeye candy recipe calls for 2 cups peanut butter. I found out that equals an 18 ounce jar--so no sticky measuring cups!
    False
    False

• Re: how many cups is 16 oz peanut butter?
    The 2 cup=16 oz is for fluid oz, and since peanut butter isn't a fluid, we can't really use that conversion. Since we are converting weight (mass) to volume, we need an equation that has both of these variables and density is the perfect equation for this. A quick google search for the density of peanut butter (without nuts) was found to be 9.1 oz per 1 cup. So using the equation of density=mass/volume, and rearranging for your volume, volume=mass/density, volume=(needed mass)/9.1=your desired volume. So for your 16 oz of peanut butter, Volume=16oz/9.1=1.758cups, or 1 3/4 cups of peanut butter.
    False

I just made a peanut butter cookie recipe yesterday.  16 ounces of Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter equaled 1 1/2 cups when I took it out of the jar. I discovered this after I mixed all the oil in by hand and then put it into the mixing bowl from the measuring cups!

False

Patty

tammycookblogsbooks.blogspot.com

:) Happy to be a Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor

...Today is a gift, That's why it's called the Present
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Cookbooks should be read like novels!

So true, a big difference when it comes to liquid weight vs. dry weight, that's why God created 2 sets of measuring cups.

A simple hint: when measuring any sticky ingredients into a measuring container, either wipe the container with a bit of vegetable oil or a spray, do the same to the measuring utensil.  Item will easily be released and clean up is easier.  I'm sure everyone here already knows that.

False

Peanut butter is measured in NET WEIGHT, not volume.  16 oz. in weight most of the time does not equal 16 oz. volume (or 2 cups).

False