How much ham do I need? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much ham do I need?

Last post Dec 16, 2005 7:58 PM by Redraspberrygirl . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • How much ham do I need?
    I will be having 10 adults and 4 children for Christmas dinner. How many lb ham should I buy?

Thanks,
    Dani
    False
  • RE: How much ham do I need?
    YOu figure 1/4 lb per person and go from there.

I caled the deli in the next town and that is how they make up their party trays.
    False
  • RE: How much ham do I need?
    Quantity to Buy

It is sometimes difficult to know just how much ham to buy to have the proper amount for a particular recipe or to serve a specific number of people. Some of the factors that will determine the quantity needed included whether the ham is bone-in or boneless, the number of people being served, and whether or not it will be served in controlled portions or if it will be served on a "help yourself" basis. The following chart gives an approximate quantity per serving, which can be used in determining your needs, keeping the other factors that have been mentioned in mind.

Approximate Pounds per Serving
    Type of Ham Pounds per Dinner Serving
    Bone-in Ham
    1/2 to 3/4 lbs. per serving

Partially Boned Ham 1/3 to 1/2 lbs. per serving
    Boneless Ham 1/4 to 1/3 lbs. per serving

Also keep in mind the appetites of the people you will be serving. Serving several small children will certainly require less than if you are feeding several teens or young adults, and males will generally have larger appetites than females.

False