Can you make the hashbrown casserole the night before? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you make the hashbrown casserole the night before?

Last post Dec 23, 2005 9:56 AM by Swazz . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Can you make the hashbrown casserole the night before?
    I am taking it to my DD's for breakfast Christmas am and would like to make it the night before. Most all the recipes I have seen do not say anything about that. Suzanne
    False
  • RE: Can you make the hashbrown casserole the night before?
    I made mine last nite & put in the fridge. Have it in the oven now for my party at work. Smelling yummy!!
    False
    Tango, thanks for the info.
    False
    When I am crunched for time, I always mix mine up the night before and put it in my baking dish, then just bake it when the time comes.
    False
    It's out of the oven & looks perfect!
    False
    Swazz and Tango7, just wondering, which hashbrown casserole recipes are you using?
    False
    I'm planning on putting mine together the night before. May I ask which recipe you're using? I'd like to compare. Thanks
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    This is the one I make

Posted by: Sinclairwife Replies: 10 Posted on: 2/29/2004 10:51:19 AM
    #T311851
    Funeral Potatoes
    "Also called "Ward Party Potatoes," "Christmas Potatoes," "Potato Casserole" I'm sure many other names - but the most famous is Funeral Potatoes because it is often served at funerals and Church parties in Utah. "
    6 cups diced potatoes*
    1 can (10 ¾ oz.) cond. cream chicken soup
    1/2 soup can milk
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    1/4 cup grated onion (optional) **
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    3/4 cup corn flake crumbs
    Cook fresh potatoes or thaw frozen potatoes (see *note below). Place potatoes in a 2-3 quart casserole dish or a 9x13 cake pan.
    Mix soup, milk, sour cream, cheese, and onion (see **note below) and salt and pepper to taste.
    If a saucier dish is desired, add 2-3 tablespoons additional milk. Mix well.
    Spread sauce over potatoes.
    Melt butter and combine with corn flake crumbs.
    Sprinkle crumbs over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 F for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout.
    Notes:
    * Use approximately 6-8 peeled, diced, and cooked fresh potatoes; or approximately 2 pounds frozen, southern style, diced hash browns (not shredded). ** Use 1 tablespoon dried onion or sauté 1/4 cup fresh chopped onion in 1 tablespoon butter until transparent.
    There are probably as many variations in how to make this dish, as there are names for it.
    Whatever you call it (or how you make it) it is tasty dish, which is often served with ham and green beans.
    Recipe serves approximately 8.
    False
    That is the exact same one I use, this is great to know!!!
    THANKS
    False
    Here is the one I'll be making. I like to grind the ham and spread it evenly throughout the casserole. Also I've used ranch dip instead of salsa.....sometimes! :)

Posted by: Cubbybear Posted on: 5/3/2004 1:16:42 PM
    #R3586863
    Make Ahead - Farmer's Breakfast Casserole
    Now this is the farmers breakfast for sure, but it would be good any time.

3 cups frozen shredded hash browns, 24 oz. bag
    3/4 cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
    3/4 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/3-cup mild salsa
    1 cup Ham, or Canadian-style bacon, diced
    1/2 cup Green onions, sliced
    4 Eggs, beaten
    12 oz Evaporated milk, canned
    1/4-teaspoon black pepper
    1/8-teaspoon salt

Make Ahead (day before)
    Grease a 2-quart square-baking dish. Spread the potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheeses, ham, salsa and green onions. Combine the eggs, milk, pepper, and salt and pour over the potato mixture in dish. Cover and refrigerate. To serve, bake, uncovered at 350F for 40 to 45 or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Optional, add extra shredded cheese to the top during the last 15 minutes of baking. Serves 6.

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Mine is a very one.

2 lbs. frozen shredded hash browns
    1 C sour cream
    8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
    2 cans cream of chicken soup undiluted
    1/2 t. garlic salt
    1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese

In a lg bowl, combine soup, sour cream and garlic salt. Add potatoes and Cheddar cheese; mix well. Pour into 13 in x 9 in. baking dish., Top with parma cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for 55 to 60 min or until potatoes are tender. 12-16 servings.

I plan to use low fat or non fat products. Don't plan on telling anyone and see if they notice. Suzanne
    False
    That should Mine is a very simple recipe.
    False