I need a suggestion for a meal for a chemo patient | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I need a suggestion for a meal for a chemo patient

Last post Jan 28, 2004 4:34 PM by Candy_gran_Ky_59 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • I need a suggestion for a meal for a chemo patient
    My cousin is going through chemo and I would like to take a meal to her. I know her appetite isn't good. I am sure some of you have either gone thru this or have taken care of someone. I was trying to come up with something besides my usual chicken soup. Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Dimps
    False
  • RE: I need a suggestion for a meal for a chemo patient
    Bump
    False
    When my cousin was going through with it, she always wanted potatoes - mashed, baked, etc. Someone told me that they had Lysine in them and that was comforting.
    My mother always loved watermelon and cantaloupe when she was undergoing treatment.

The main thing is with anybody ill - don't give them large servings - I used to serve mother on the prettiest china and crystal dishes and used very small servings so that she did not have to feel overwhelmed.
    Find out their favorites and go from there. It will be appreciated, I am sure.
    Also, don't be ashamed to go and pick up a salad from one of the commercial places - I have done that and people really appreciated it.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Thank you Tria! The potatoes are a good idea. So is the salad.
    Dimps
    False
    When I was on chemo I liked to have chicken salad, the kind that you can get from Bi-lo that has chives in it on a crossiant w/a little fruit salad. It was light and didn't upset my stomach. I also appreciated anything that wasn't sharp or jagged, if that is a way to describe it. An example would be like a topping on casseroles or stuffing because they irritated my throat and it was already irritated from my vomiting. I just wanted cool foods for some reason. Pudding was good and rice pudding was especially good. Small portions is a great idea, as it took a lot of energy just to sit up to eat and then I didn't know if I could handle much on my stomach or not.
    Patti
    False
    Bless your heart.. I think rice is a very good idea A particular favorite of mine when I am sick is cream of chicken or creamy tomato soup with rice and a bit of basil.
    I remember my neighbor practically lived on lime popsicles. The beautiful place setting is an excellent idea.
    Saying a prayer for you..and your cousin. Mary
    False
    My mom always wanted deserts, but she'd also eat a noodle dish, even the boxed angel hair with parmesan cheese was her favorite. Puddings, squash, ice cream, yogurts,definitely she did NOT want meats.
    Jill
    False
    Hi, my DH would eat potato soup, mine or Campbells, and sweet potatoes mashed with butter and brown sugar, and oh yes watermelon, in season or not I found him watermelon, he still craves that..Meats turned him off and spagetti and anything with tomato sauce did not agree with him and he always loved tomato sauce, I would offer him several small meals a day and oh yes small portions...It was a happy day when he would have a clean plate..I hope all goes well and keep her smiling.....Shirley
    False
    My mother had no taste for meats. Veggies, fruit & could get her to eat seafood usually. Wish your cousin well.
    False
    I have a friend who found herself able to eat Ramen Noodles during the worst of her chemo times when nothing else was acceptable to her. She still loves them, ten years later!
    False
    My friend had chemo and she loved my chicken and noodles. She said it was a comforting meal. Also made her homemade chicken soup. Nothing spicy I know. Maybe some homemade bread or biscuits. She also loved my banana bread with the chicken and noodles
    False
    Thank you so much for all your help. You have given me lots of ideas. I don't know what I would do without all of you on this BB. You are wonderful.
    Dimps
    False
    I think her "likes/dislikes" will really depend on how she takes the chemo . . . can you get suggestions from anyone who is close to her(i.e. her husband/boyfriend, mom,)?
    False
    First of all, bless you for trying to help find something appealing to your chemo patient. You have no idea how mucn that means to someone going through it. I had chemo 2 years ago and, while my oncologist did a wonderful job keeping the nausea from being a big problem by using other meds for it, I had absolutely NO appetite NOTHING tasted good. My DH started fixing a very simple potato soup - just diced potatoes, butter, salt, tiny bit of pepper, milk and some half and half cream. Served with a few crackers. It was good. No onions or cheese in it - just very simple. Then, for some reason I wanted lemon pudding - Jello brand cooked lemon pudding. Maybe it was the slight tangy taste that was appealing. I ate very little else during the time I was on chemo. One other thing that helped, was drinking lots of fluids. Water, colas, sprite and non acid juices. Chemo is very dehydrating for some people. God bless you and your patient.
    False
    I got this cookbook for a friend of mine at livingwithit.org (It was free then & I hope it still is) If it is not free it is well worth buying it as it is a spiral bound cookbook written especially for cancer patients according to which stage of treatment and symptoms. It is called, "Eating well through Cancer" by Holly Clegg & Gerald Miletello,MD.THe recipes are flavorfull and mostly easy to prepare. God bless you and your cousin, Lynn
    False