ISO: Recipe for Sloppy Joes (using ketchup and mustard) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Recipe for Sloppy Joes (using ketchup and mustard)

Last post Aug 06, 2009 2:10 PM by bolltron . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • ISO: Recipe for Sloppy Joes (using ketchup and mustard)
    I know there are MANY sloppy joe recipes on the BB, but most of them I came across used ketchup and ground mustard (you know, like a spice), not mustard (like you would put on a hotdog). Several years ago, one of my boyfriend's father made the best sloppy joes (which I call wimpies), but I never did get the recipe other than being told the secret was using ketchup and mustard.

Anyone have a recipe like this?

Thank you! Have a wonderful day!

Karen
    False
     My heart is broken... One of Heaven's Newest Blessings  IN LOVING MEMORY OF PHOEBE ("HeeBee") 1-16-2010  IN LOVING MEMORY OF TOBY ("Handsome Man") 4-12-2008
  • RE: ISO: Recipe for Sloppy Joes (using ketchup and mustard)
    Sloppy joes
    l lb. ground beef
    l cup onion, finely chopped
    l cup celery, finely chopped
    l TBSP. brown sugar
    l TBSP. prepared mustard
    l TBSP. Worcestershire sauce
    l TBSP. vinegar
    l tsp. salt
    l cup ketchup
    Brown ground beef and drain excess fat. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
    You can transfer this even to a slowcooker or crockpot to use later for a meal or gathering.
    False
    Karen, I just brown the ground beef, drain the fat off, then add ketchup and mustard until it "looks right". LOL!!! Sorry - I've never measured.
    False
    Thank you. I will have to try this one and I will use Jane's theory to just add ketchup and mustard till it comes our right.

Have a great day!

Karen
    False
     My heart is broken... One of Heaven's Newest Blessings  IN LOVING MEMORY OF PHOEBE ("HeeBee") 1-16-2010  IN LOVING MEMORY OF TOBY ("Handsome Man") 4-12-2008
    When I was a SAHM my DS and I would make this for lunch when there was just a small amount of ground beef left over from something else. He called them JR's (for Jane and Rick's). A few months ago my DIL said Rick made the best sloppy joes last night and he didn't even use a mix or Manwich. Rick said that's another recipe you have to thank my mom for. LOL!!
    False
    I sure do. This is how I always make my sloppy joes and I always get thumbs up even from the grandkids!
    1 lb ground beef (I use ground round)
    1 onion chopped fine
    1 cup ketchup
    1 Tsp mustard
    1 Tsp vinegar (I use white)
    Brown meat and onion, drain off grease. Add other ingredients and heat through.
    I like this over any other recipes I have tried. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
    MrsCrickets
    False
    When you say "prepared mustard" do you mean brown or yellow?
    Betty
    False
    I make this version in my crockpot, but I'm sure you can just do it on the stovetop.

2 lbs ground beef
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Brown beef in a small amount of vegetable oil. Drain. Mix beef and remaining ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

False
    False
    Super Sloppy Joes

2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1-2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon steak sauce
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    8 to 10 hamburger buns, split

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion, celery and green pepper until the meat
    is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the next nine ingredients; mix
    well. Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup meat
    mixture onto each bun.

Yield: 8-10 servings.
    False
    Zesty Sloppy Joes cont.

4 pounds ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped green pepper
    2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
    1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    20 to 25 hamburger buns

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef and onion. Add green pepper.
    Cook and stir for 5 minutes; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
    heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns.

Yield: 20-25 servings.
    False
    Sloppy Joe Sandwiches cont.

1/2 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon prepared mustard
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 hamburger buns, split

In a saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup,
    water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
    Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Serve on buns.

Yield: 2 servings.
    False
    Sloppy Joes

2 pounds ground beef
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups ketchup
    1 cup barbecue sauce
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Hamburger buns, split

In a large skillet, cook beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no
    longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard,
    Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
    uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun. Or cool and
    freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months. To use frozen sloppy joes: Thaw
    in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat though. Serve on buns.

Yield: 12 servings (about 6 cups).
    False
    Prepared mustard is regular mustard you have in the refrigerator. You can use whatever brand you have. The spicy the more flair to your sloppy jo's. The plain yellow is fine too. What ever you have on hand.
    False
    We just had artistathand's recipe (1st one posted above) for supper. I had to substitute 1 T of onion powder for the onion (I can't think of another time when I've not had an onion in the house) and used onion salt, too. I did use deer meat(friend's DH is a hunter - it doesn't have a really game-y flavour this season) anyway it was wonderful! Definitely will use again I have made the super sloppy joes before and enjoyed those but this recipe is even quicker to get together. Thanks artistathand.
    False