Store bought gravy ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Store bought gravy ?

Last post Jan 20, 2006 6:08 AM by _FOOTSIE . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Store bought gravy ?
    I have never tried any. Are they good or do they have that "processed" taste? I see a lot of recipes on here with it as an ingredient. Are some brands better than others?
    lazyme
    False
  • RE: Store bought gravy ?
    Out of all the brands that I have tried, i prefer the pioneer brand dry gravy packets. I like it WAY better than the jarred stuff. And its actually very good gravy....

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Lazyme,
    I have tried some of the ones that you can buy at grocery stores, several-I didn't like. I do like the Morrison's brand that you can get at Sam's Club!! It is a peppered gravy and it comes w/3 bags, each bag makes 1 gallon of gravy. I take out 1 cup of powder and mix in a pan with a cup of hot water, stir it until it disolves then add a cup of milk. (doing all of this while heating) It doesn't take long and what I like is there is no need to add any salt or pepper to it-it's done! :0) We love it!

Angie
    False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/
    They're not great. But my husband (who doesn't know how to cook at all), decided a few months back he could cook dinner to give me a night off. He mixes canned gravy and deli gravy and serves over onion rye. He usually adds steamed broccoli and stove-top stuffing. It's not gourmet, but it's edible and it's sweet of him to make the effort. I just love that he tries.

Anyway, when he's not looking, I generally toss some dried herbs and onions into the gravy--it helps some.
    False
    I have often bought the grave they sell in the pprepared food section of our local grocery chain Roche Bros. It is homemade in the store and taste just LIKE homemade. They generally have a turkey or chicken prepared meal. I must say I had not succumed to buying that, but do use it with rotisseri chicken that they sell...it's really good.

Barb
    False
    Since it just now DH adnd myself its hard to make just right amount of homemade gravy. I never do good with package kinds but if I have big meal with kids over I use Kroger brand gravy and they rave over it. DH prefers it to mine. Hmmmn It does come in jar but very good, I used to get Pepperidge Farm but can't get it now. I also like the Au jus of Heinz. I use it in crockpot for swiss steak mixture. Sandy
    False
    I use the gravy mix in a packet. Durkey sometimes.
    False
    Amy
    The ONLY time I use jarred gravy is with French Fries, then I use the brown gravy from Heinz.

Other than that, I like the packets of KNORR gravy mixes.
    False
    I buy Heinz in jar. Not the "low fat" variety, but the regular kind.

The beef or beef with mushroom kind is very good.
    False
    I have used Boston Market in the jar and my DH and I like it very much. I use the turkey and the beef.
    Jan
    False
    I always keep a supply of jarred gravies (usually Heinz beef, turkey and chicken) and packets of gravy mix (usually McCormick's beef, chicken and pork) on hand. They're handy when you only want a small amount of gravy or to add to a pot of stew or soup. I also keep the Morrison's Peppered Gravy Mix. Makes it easy to fix biscuits and gravy for one for breakfast. Avidcook's recipe for Pork Chops and Gravy uses a packet of pork gravy mix and it is absolutely fabulous. I see nothing wrong in using a convenience product as long as the results end up tasting good.
    False
    i usually have at least one jar of each flavor of heinz gravies in the cupboard as a back up. i don't particularly like mashed potatoes and gravy and i don't like gravy on my meat so i couldn't care less if it's homemade or not. dh on the other hand prefers the real stuff, so most of the time i'll make it from scratch. when i don't feel like it, he gets heinz and eats it lol.
    False