Pecan Halves Equals How Much Ground? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pecan Halves Equals How Much Ground?

Last post Jan 23, 2006 8:51 AM by _FOOTSIE . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Pecan Halves Equals How Much Ground?
    I have recipe that calls for 1 cup pecan halves that are to be ground later in the recipe. I bought already ground pecans instead. Does anyone know how much 1 cup of pecan halves equals once they are ground?
    chefly
    False
  • RE: Pecan Halves Equals How Much Ground?
    bump for chefly
    False
    pecan meal = ground pecans To make your own: Grind toasted pecans in a nut mill until the meal has the consistency of cornmeal. You can also use a food processor fitted with a steel blade to do this, but it's hard to keep the nut meal from turning into nut butter. It helps to freeze the nuts before grinding, to use the pulse setting on the processor, and to add any sugar in the recipe to the nuts to help absorb the oils. Store nut meals in the refrigerator or freezer, and use them soon after you buy or make them. (1/4 pound whole nuts yields about 1 cup nut meal.) Substitutes: walnut meal
    False

not sure if that helps or not, but if you don't need an exact answer this morning, i'll grind up some pecans and weigh it out for you
    False

Footsie, that doesn't quite help. I don't know the volume measure of 4 oz. of pecans.

If you grind up a cup of pecans to answer my question will you have a use for the ground nuts? I appreciate your offering to do this for me, but I don't want you to have ground pecans and no way to use them.

I need the amount before dinner tonight.If anyone else knows please help me out and save Footsie from having to grind pecans for me.

chefly
    False
    yup i will. i'm fixin to run out the door, so i'll get to it as soon as i get back.
    False

Footsie, thanks so much!
    chefly
    False
    ok i went ahead and ground them now (i'll wash the fp when i get home lol)

1 cup pecan halves = 4oz
    after grinding into meal, it still measured a 1 cup, slightly rounded, in other words, just measure by scoop and shake excess instead of leveling like you would with flour.
    False