Do you substitute yogurt for sour cream? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you substitute yogurt for sour cream?

Last post Jan 27, 2006 9:30 AM by Rezaswife . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Do you substitute yogurt for sour cream?
    I've been wanting to try this, hoping to lose some of the fat in the recipes. I imagine it works well in things like breads/cakes or sauces, but would like to hear others' thoughts on this.
    False
  • RE: Do you substitute yogurt for sour cream?
    no...I use lite sour cream...many say they switch...but I like the taste of sour cream...and it's not like we eat it everyday...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I use lowfat yogurt interchangably with sour cream with great results. It normally depends on what I have on hand for a recipe, but they both work great.

Marsha
    False
    I sometimes use yogurt to replace
    sour cream but have found I needed to
    add a tablespoon of flour to the yogurt since the yogurt makes the dish watery.
    False
    Photobucket
    I also substitute yogurt for sour cream, but reduce the amount slightly because the yogurt I use is thinner than sour cream.
    chefly
    False
    nope i prefer the taste of sour cream. in fact i prefer fat free sour over regular. i like the thicker consistency.
    False

I hate yogurt, so I sub low fat cottage cheese, that I have gotten rid of the lumps with one of those hand held blenders, then add a little lemon juice. I use this when making homemade dressings, in place of sour cream.
    False
    I have used it in baking but really won't buy it just for that reason. I find that sour cream is cheaper and I can buy the lite or fat free. I have tried some of the flavored yogurts in banana bread and it really is good.

Gail
    False
    I substitute in reverse, as I am allergic to yogurt. I've never had any difficulty with the substitution, i.e. it's worked in every recipe I've done it with.
    False
    I've never tried to substitute yogurt for sour cream when I'm baking. I've tried it for dips and dressings and I don't like it. The texture is really different. I use no fat sour cream all of the time. I even use it in cooked dishes. I've seen lots of recipes that say not to use no fat/light sour cream or mayonnaise however I do it all of the time without problem. Carol
    False

Carol

I've done so when making muffins, pancakes or sometimes potato salad. I usually like lite sour cream best, but I find yogurt can be a good substitute, particularly in the muffins or pancakes.
    False
    I know yogurt has a different texture; I wouldn't substitute it for dips or anything like that. I'm wondering mostly about quick breads and cakes. I think I'm going to try it anyways. I might also try the fat-free sour cream for baking as well.
    False
    I regularly substitute yogurt for sour cream and because I like the consistency of sour cream much better I drain the yogurt first. This is really easy to do. Just line a collander with cheese cloth and set it in the sink or over a bowl. Pour the yogurt in and wait. The longer you wait, the more water drains out of the yogurt. I like to drain it for several hours and then I have a lovely thick yogurt to use.
    Sharon Arab
    False
    Rezaswife