ISO Your Best Dessert for Auction | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO Your Best Dessert for Auction

Last post Jan 29, 2006 1:51 AM by wesie . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • ISO Your Best Dessert for Auction
    Our school is having an auction next Friday and I need a fantastic dessert to give. I don't want to do a pie so I guess that leaves a cake? My problem is that all my good/rich cake recipes are made and served in a 9x13 pan --- I don't want to give the pan away, so I need a dessert that can be placed on a cake board or basket to auction off. Can anyone help?
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
  • RE: ISO Your Best Dessert for Auction
    This chocolate praline cake is wonderful. Whenever I make it, people ask for the recipe. It looks spectacular too. Should sell for big bucks. Was a grand prize winner for Pillsbury Bake-off contest.

CHOCOLATE PRALINE LAYER CAKE (Serves 12)

8 tbsp (1 stick) butter (1/2 cup)
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1 (16 oz) pkg Devil's food cake mix
    1 1/4 cup water
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 eggs

Topping:
    1 3/4 cups heavy cream
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pecan halves for decoration
    chocolate curls for decoration

Preheat oven to 325º.
    Cake: combine butter, 1/4 cup cream and brown sugar in small heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat just until the butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into 2 (8 or 9 inch) round cake pans and sprinkle evenly with the chopped pecans.
    (I chill this so it stays put when pouring batter overtop. This wasn't in the original recipe. I just found it helped)
    Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl; beat at low speed until moistened, then beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
    Carefully spoon the batter over the pecan praline mixture in the pans. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.
    Topping: Beat the 1 3/4 cups cream in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. To assemble the cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half the whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up, spread with remaining whipped cream on top. Decorate with pecan halves and chocolate curls. Store refrigerated.

False
    Orange Dreamsicle Cake

Part 1
    1 Box Orange Supreme Cake Mix
    1 3-Oz. Box Orange Jell-O

Part 2
    1/3 Cup Cooking Oil/Soft Margarine
    2 Eggs
    1-1/2 Cups Orange Juice

Icing:
    1 8-Oz. Package Sour Cream
    1/4 to 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 8-Oz. Package Cool Whip
    9 Ounces Frozen Coconut

Mix and sift part one items. Add part two items to part one and mix well. Add mix to greased and floured cake pan(s).. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until it comes loose from sides. Cool layers. Mix icing items well with mixer and cool. Icing cake and refrigerate.
    you can make this in a 9x13 pan.Just check for doness after 30 minutes
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    COCONUT CAKE

This cake is so easy to make and sooo rich, moist and delicious.

1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
    1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
    1 (14 ounce) can Eagle Brand condensed milk
    1 ( 7 ounce) can Angel Flake coconut
    1 (12 ounce) bowl Cool Whip

Follow directions on package to make cake and bake in a 13x9 inch
    pan.
    Poke holes in cake as soon as it comes from the oven.
    Mix condensed milk, cream of coconut, and 1/2 can of coconut.
    Pour over hot cake.
    Cool completely.
    Spread Cool Whip over the cold cake and sprinkle with remaining
    coconut.
    Serve from pan.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Why not one of the crawlin' cakes....check the search for the recipe and history. Although I have yet to try one, I heard they are wonderful!!!

Kim
    False

* ~ * Kim * ~ *

Yummm Thanks for the replys. Verushka that chocolate cake sounds heavenly I think this will diffently be one of the cakes.
    Cubbybear you're always so wonderful and sharing. I just seen the orange mix on sale --- wonder if it still is.
    FoxieRoxie - going to check out those crawlin cakes now.

Thanks everyone. Paulette

ANY MORE???
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
    Hi, I made one to auction off. Made a bundit cake, and then put it on a round piece of cardboard that I covered in Al.foil. A crawlin cake is good. or bake cakes in round pans and then frost the layers. But use a strong piece of cardboard or double them up. I have also brought cheap plates at garage sales just for this purpose. Good Luck, you will do fine.
    False
    You could always buy one of those disposable pans, right?
    False
    Our hospital aux. has a dessert auction every year...besides the disposable pans/ foil wrapped cardboard etc...what they've found is to make the dessert something very attractive..like purchase a cheap walmart triffle bowl...make a triffile in it and they auction bowl and all.or you might even be able to find one at the local thrift/used shop...
    or even a fancy old bowl would work..one you can see thru.
    another thing is make dirt cake and put in a new childs sand bucket or a new plastic flower pot even...
    the buyers feel like theyre getting something extra...and they're willing to pay more than something they'd make at home...
    or how about...a tin of cookies,brownies or fudge...
    or...a pie in a new ceramic pie plate or even a used nice yet, ceramic pie plate.
    the possiblites are endless...just look around you home for rarely used items or at the thrift shop or discount stores in the sale aisles.
    If it's something they do every year..look ahead during the year for items even.
    False
    These are sooooooo good, and look really pretty presented as per the recipe -- individual brownies (cut them small -- very rich!) in paper or foil cups, placed in a box.

CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHERRY BROWNIES posted by Linda (ltlgranny)

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
    3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
    1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    1 cup Gold Medal all purpose flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup marshmallow creme
    1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained & 2 Tbsps cherry juice reserved for glaze

CHOCOLATE-CHERRY GLAZE:
    1 cup (6 oz pkg) semisweet chocolate chips
    6 Tbsps butter or margarine
    1 Tbsp light corn syrup
    2 Tbsps reserved maraschino cherry juice

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13" X 9" X 2" rectangular pan with shortening.

In heavy 2-qt saucepan over low heat, heat butter & baking chocolate, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, vanilla & eggs until blended. Stir in flour & salt until smooth. Spread in prepared pan.

In small bowl, mix marshmallow creme & cherries. Spoon by teaspoonfuls onto batter. With knife, swirl lightly.

Bake 30-40 mins or until marshmallow mixture is light golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hr. Make Chocolate-Cherry Glaze; spread over bars. Refrigerate 30 mins or until glaze is set. For brownies, cut into 8 rows X 6 rows.

Chocolate-Cherry Glaze:

In 1-qt saucepan over low heat, heat chocolate chips, butter & corn syrup, stirring constantly, until melted. Stir in cherry juice.

High altitude 3500-6500 ft: Bake 35-45 mins.

Gift Giving Tip: Place individual brownies in paper or foil muffin cups, arranging in a holiday gift box.

False
    I see someone else had the same idea I did, buy a disposable pan and make that cake you already know for sure is good.

False
    cupcakes in their little cupcake papers and in a basket ..nestled with either tissue paper or crinkled paper strips or easter type grass stuff.
    False
    This one is always a hit!!!
    I also bumped another post for you!
    :)
    Ellen

Kahlua Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 pkg. devil's food or fudge cake mix
    1 (4 oz.) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    1/2 cup Kahlua
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350º. Combine all ingredients and beat until blended, 3 minutes. Oil a 12 cup Bundt pan. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool 25 minutes on a rack, then turn out onto serving plate. Cool completely.
    Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Very moist and rich!!!
    Enjoy!
    Ellen
    False
    bet a person could bake a cake in a 9x13 pan. cool, cut in half, frost and put on cardboard, cover with saran. OR bake in two small aluminum disposal pans. (spray welll with Pam) That way you can sell two cakes instead of one.
    Most poeple would prefer a smaller cake anyway. IMHO
    False
    I am recopying this one for Key Lime Cake. Absoluely sinful.

DARLENE

This is origionally mytfly's(I think that is how it is spelled) recipe. Thank you so very much for this recipe.

1 pkg lemon cake mix
    1 sm. lemon instant pudding
    1/4 cup key lime juice
    4 eggs
    1 cup oil
    3/4 cup water
    1 tsp lime extract
    5 drops green food coloring

Bake in a bundt pan that has been greased at 350. I baked it for 50-60
    minutes.
    After baking make glaze using:
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 key lime juice
    2 tbsp. butter, melted
    Poke holes into cake while still in pan and pour glaze over and allow to sink in.
    After 10 minutes make sure edges and inside is loose and turn out onto cake plate.

I also made a thicker version of the glaze and poured it on top.

If you have a hard time finding key lime juice or key limes I found it in the plastic lime at Walmart and I also saw key limes there the other day. This cake is sweet, but that's what makes the key lime pies so good.
    I also saw a recipe where someone baked one in a 9X13 pan and poured the glaze on it and left it in the pan. I don't have any cooking time, but I would think it would be 35-45 min.

False