ISO - Favorite One-Dish meals for a crowd! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO - Favorite One-Dish meals for a crowd!

Last post Feb 17, 2006 1:22 PM by Dianne4 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • ISO - Favorite One-Dish meals for a crowd!
    Hi all,

Having a big family sleigh ride and birthday party to co-incide with christening our brand new horse barn. Will probably have about 30 people over.

Need ideas for a big one-dish hot meal I could serve with my Hamilton Beach roaster oven. (No chili recipes please as we did that with our last big party).

We will set up tables in our barn, and yes, it will be cold, so I need a hot meal. I can do some rolls, and a few side dishes like coleslaw etc.

And of course, there will be some wonderful desserts.

Can you help me out????
    False
  • RE: ISO - Favorite One-Dish meals for a crowd!
    How about beef stew?

I just use stewing beef, or a big roast cut into chunks, chunked potatoes, baby carrots and coat with a mixture of tomato soup and cream of celery soup. Add a little black pepper and let it cook for 4-5 hours. I like to pre-brown the beef for a fuller flavor.

Add some biscuits and salad or slaw and you've got a meal.
    False
    What about Chili and corn bread that will be good for a cold winter day.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    I don't know what the Hamilton Beach Roaster Oven is, but here is a pasta dish we love. I acn usually serve 14-18 people with it. It can be made ahead refrigerated or even frozen and baked while frozen.

Baked Ziti

2 lbs Italian sausage
    1/4 c olive oil
    2 lg green peppers, diced (I omit)
    1 c. chopped onion
    2 lbs ziti
    1 1/2 lbs ricotta cheese
    1/2 c heavy cream
    2 lg eggs
    2 tsp basil
    1 tsp oregano
    7 c tomatoe sauce (I use my own pasta sauce or you could use 1 jar purchased sauce plus 2 cans tomatoe sauce)
    1/2 c butter, melted
    1/2 c parmesan
    2 lbs mozzarella, shredded

1. Cook sausage & crumble. Drain and remove from pan. Meanwhile, cook pasta.
    2. Saute onions & peppers in olive oil.
    3. Combine sausage, onions & peppers and set aside.
    4. In a bowl, combine ricotta, cream, eggs, basil, oregano & pepper.
    5. Drain pasta and toss with butter (I omitted the butter one time and it is yummier with the butter!)
    6. Spread 2c sauce over bottom of 9 - 10 quart pan (I use the foil turkey roasting pans). Put half of pasta over sauce. Spread with 1/2 of ricotta mixture, 1/2 of sausage and 1/2 of remaining suace, then 1/2 of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
    6. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about an hour. If this is cold from the fridge you need twenty minutes more or so. I have found that the mozzarella cheese can get crunchy & brown, so I have been adding it toward the last 15-20 minutes of cooking.
    False
    Triple this. The first time I had this, it was cooked in a roaster.

Cheesey Chicken Spaghetti

Boil: 1 fryer; 2 stalks celery chopped, 1 chopped onion, 2 diced carrots, 1 bay leaf (remove after cooking) and salt.

Cook chicken for about an hour in enuf water to cover the whole chicken. Skin, bone and chop up chicken. Cook 1 16oz package spaghetti in chicken broth until done. Stir in 1/2 lb. velvetta cheese until melted. Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can cream of chicken soup don't dilute. Add cut up chicken, 2 cans mushrooms drained and 1-1/2 cup frozen chopped broccoli (optional). Place in crock pot on low for 2 hours.

This can also be placed in a large baking dish, sprinkle with cracker crumbs and dot with butter. Bake at 30 to 45 min. at 325 degrees. This freezes well.

Kathy♥
    False
    I am not sure if this is actually what you were looking for, but, I know everyone likes good bbq! Why not just get a few pork roasts and beef roasts to cook, shred and put sauce on? You could then just serve some sides with the sands? I always use pork and beef together gives it a good flavor. You could make some baked beans,salad etc to go with it. Hope you have a great time , this sounds fun!! chuzi
    False
    This is wonderful comfort food~!!!

Posted by: Cittie Replies: 12 Posted on: 1/9/2005 5:45:56 PM
    #T460453
    KTPickle, I love you!!! LOL!!

We just had the most fantastic ham pot pie for dinner!! I cheated though & bought the frozen dumplings just to save me some time (they are very good!). I know the left overs are going to be even better!

Thanks for a great recipe!

Posted by: KTPICKLE Posted on: 12/29/2004 7:12:51 PM
    #R4942496
    I make ham pot pie all the time. It is a family favorite but I don't have an actual recipe. I learned to make it watching my great-grandmother. I'll try to get this right

Ham Pot pie
    Cook ham bone in water to make broth, skim off fat and add the meat pulled from the bone. Season with salt, pepper,and a bay leaf. bring to a slow boil. Add sliced carrots, celery and potatoes. You will have to eyeball this depending on how much broth. Add the pot pie and cook at near boil for 20 minutes or until pot pie is cooked through.

Pot pie dough
    3 eggs,slightly beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp salt, more or less to taste
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    flour to make a stiff dough

Roll dough to 1/4 in thickness and cut into squares( a pizza cutter works great for this)You can be generous with the flour when you roll as this will thicken your broth a bit. Drop squares of dough into hot broth stirring after adding every 12 pieces or so to prevent sticking together.
    This will puff up quite a bit so be sure you have enough room in your pot.
    Enjoy and let me know how this turns out

False
    Great ideas so far - thanks a bunch!!! It's always hard to pick an idea cause there's always great suggestions!
    False
    How about a shepherds pie? You can put it all together in the oven and just plug it in to heat.
    American chop suey is another one pot favorite here. That would also be easy to premake.
    False
    Lasagna...my favorite dish for a crowd
    Italian Beef
    Pork BBQ
    Spaghetti and Meatballs
    Beef and Noodles
    Salibury steak
    Chicken Casserole
    Turkey and dressing
    Ham

False