Crock Pot Ham Pot Pie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Crock Pot Ham Pot Pie

Last post May 18, 2006 9:20 PM by Needtolose . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Crock Pot Ham Pot Pie
    This is a very simple Pennsylvania Dutch recipe I make often for my family.

CROCK POT HAM POT PIE

6 cups water
    1 large ham hock
    1 tbsp. dried parsley
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    1/2 c. chopped carrot
    3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 pkg. pot pie squares

In large crock pot, simmer on low heat, ham hock and water for 5 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley, celery, carrot, potatoes, and onion. Cook for another 2 hours on low or until potatoes are tender.
    Add pot pie squares. Simmer until cooked through. Enjoy!!

False

Colleen, mom to Brian and Nicholas, wife to Brian, Sr.  

• RE: Crock Pot Ham Pot Pie
    Hi Colleen, This recipe sounds really tasty, but I seem rather unenlightened here. What are pot pie squares? I've never heard of them.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    LOL I guess I just take for granted that everyone knows about Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. Pot Pie squares are square shaped pieces of dough, found around here (central Pennsylvania) in the spaghetti/noodle isle. You can also use 1 bag of bow tie pasta too!! Thanks for question!!
    False

Colleen, mom to Brian and Nicholas, wife to Brian, Sr.  

Thanks, sounds goooood.
    lc.
    False
    Colleen,
    Set two extra plates at your table the night you have Pa. Dutch ham pot pie and my hubby and I will be right over! I'll even volunteer to do the dishes afterwards and clean up the kitchen.
    False
    Shouldn't you have some ham chunks/small pieces in this pot pie? Doesn't look like you'll get enough from the ham hock.
    False
    I love ham pot pie. I have made it in the slowcooker or a big soup pot. You can use ham hocks. Just pull the meat off them to add ham chunks to the mixture.
    To make potpie squares. I take an crack an egg in a bowl. Put about l to 2 cups of water in. Then a pinch of pepper if you like. Then start adding flour until you have a mixture resembling a ball type soft pliable. Put the ball on a floured surface. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Slice one way then across another way into little squares. Have your pot mixture of broth hot. Then start adding each square and stir. Let cook for about 15 minutes. Remove one square taste test it. Decide if you want it to cook longer or not. But most of all enjoy!
    You can use turkey chunks or chicken chunks in place of the ham to make this recipe.
    False
    Thought too, if you have an amish or mennonite wholesale place in your area you will find the dry pot pie squares. If not you can use bowties in this recipe. BUT! Nothing tastes better then homemade potpie noodles.
    False

This sounds like a great alternative to soup for those ham hocks that I have in the freezer. Thanks for sharing.

False

Folks, this is some good eatin'. I just saw the dried pot pie squares at the Pa. Dutch Market near us last week. Do you cook them the same way that you would if you made your own from scratch?
    False
    Once I was invited to a church dinner in a small town on the Eastern Shore of Md. and the meal was called "slippery noodles" very similar to Pa. Dutch Pot Pie but what made the noodles so shiny and slippery?
    False