Worlds Best Toffee candy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Worlds Best Toffee candy

Last post Feb 19, 2006 7:48 PM by nana573 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Worlds Best Toffee candy
    I am looking for the best toffee candy recipe. I have never made any, I need a recipe that is foolproof! Can anyone help me please?!!!!
    Thanks so much
    False
  • RE: Worlds Best Toffee candy

I can't....I'll give you a bump :)
    False

Photobucket

The Recipe for the Best English Toffee in the World

Ingredients:

1 Cup Water
    2 Cup sugar
    4 sticks sweet (unsalted) butter
    1 lb. raw shelled almonds
    1 1/2 lb. milk chocolate

Instructions:

Grease 2 9x13 pans and place in ice water. I've found that non-stick pans don't need to be greased. I run a couple of inches of water into my sinks and dump a tray of ice cubes in each and then put my pans in. It's important that the toffee cool quickly.

False

Cool

Chop half the almonds finely. I put them into the food processor. There should be smallish chunks left and a fair amount of almond dust.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. The quality of the chocolate is important. I've been using Hershey's Symphony Bars. White chocolate might be amusing. If you try it, let me know.

You'll need a large heavy pot to cook the toffee in: I use a Dutch oven. The size and weight of the pot is important. You don't want the toffee to burn and the heavy pot helps distribute the heat evenly. Plus, the mixture increases significantly in volume while boiling, so the pot needs to be large.

False

Cool

Stirring constantly over high heat, cook water and sugar until stringy. There's some debate over what the "stringy" instruction from the original recipe means. We've taken it to mean that when you pour the cooking mixture off your spoon, you don't get individual drops. Instead, you get something that looks like a continuous string. I often get a couple of separate strings pouring off the spoon.

Stirring constantly over high heat, add butter, 1 stick at a time.

Stirring constantly over high heat, add whole almonds. Continue stirring until you smell the roasted almonds. The mixture will take on a distinct brown color just before this and you'll feel the texture of the mixture changing.

Pour into pans in ice water. I try to stir the stuff while pouring; otherwise the almonds don't get distributed real evenly throughout the mix. Don't try to spread the stuff with a tool; just try to pour it evenly. Sugar behaves funny in this state and pushing it around will change the texture of the result. I've read that you shouldn't scrape out the contents of the pan either. The stuff that sticks is chemically different from the stuff that pours. I've not noticed that much sticks, so it isn't really a problem. Once the pans are cool enough that they aren't warm to the touch, I throw them into the freezer for 15 minutes.

Cover with half the chocolate and then half the chopped nuts. I press the nuts into the chocolate with the spoon that I used for spreading the nuts. Then back into the freezer for another 15 minutes and then cover other half with remaining chocolate and nuts.

Break into pieces and store in the freezer.

Half recipes work just fine, but take just about as much work as the full recipe.

http://staff.oclc.org/~levan/docs/englishtoffee.html
    False

Cool

FOOLPROOF TOFFEE RECIPE - ENGLISH TOFFEE, American style / (AN EASY TOFFEE RECIPE)

Makes 1 pound.

1 1/2 cups Whole blanched almonds, chopped (12 oz)
    1 cups Butter
    1 1/2 cups Sugar
    3 Tablespoons Light corn syrup
    3 Tablespoons Water
    8 Semisweet chocolate squares (1 oz. each)

1. Place chopped almonds on a cookie sheet; toast in moderate oven (375 degrees F) 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
    2. Combine butter or margarine, sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY to 300 degrees F on candy thermometer. (A teaspoonful of syrup will separate into brittle threads when dropped in cold water.) Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of the toasted almonds. Pour into a buttered 13x9x2" pan, spreading quickly and evenly; cool. Turn out onto wax paper.
    3. Melt chocolate squares in the top of a double boiler over hot water; remove from heat. Spread half the melted chocolate over top of candy; sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts; let set for about 20 minutes; turn candy over and spread with remaining chocolate and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Let stand until set. Break into pieces.

To store the dipped toffee, place it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or at cool room temperature. Let come to room temperature before eating for best flavor.
    http://www.baking911.com/recipes/candy/toffee.htm
    False

Cool

Never made toffee in a humid environment. This recipe has a 2nd page (url below) showing you step by step toffee instructions
    MOM'S BUTTER TOFFEE

Buttery toffee candy is a special holiday treat that will become a family favorite.

Preparation 15 min.
    Cooking 25 min.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
    1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter (no substitutes)
    1 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips (We recommend NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Morsels)
    1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Instructions:

Combine sugar and butter in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until candy thermometer reaches 300°F or small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms brittle strands (25 to 30 minutes).

Quickly spread into 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot candy; let stand 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate evenly over candy; sprinkle with pecans. Cool completely; break into pieces.

TIP: Stir occasionally and gently with a wooden spoon until mixture reaches 260 to 265°F (127 to 130°C). Continue cooking, stirring as few times as possible, until mixture reaches 300°F (149°C). Stirring too much contributes to toffee separating. It is important to keep the mixture from burning, so stir gently once in a while.

TIP: Store butter toffee in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate.

Yield: 1 1/4 pounds

Nutrition Facts ((1 (1-ounce) serving) Calories: 150, Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Sodium: 65 mg, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Dietary Fiber:
    False

Cool

1/2 lb Butter (not margarine)
    1 c. Slivered Almonds
    1 c. Sugar
    1/4 c. Karo Syrup
    6 oz Milk Chocolate Chips (or semi sweet)
    Pecans - chopped fine

Read recipe thoroughly and have everything ready before starting. Melt chips in microwave on high for 1 minute (stirring once at 30 seconds). Combine butter, almonds, sugar and corn syrup in heavy saucepan and bring to a boil stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Continue boiling until mixture reaches 300o on candy thermometer. Spread mixture immediately onto ungreased, foil lined, small cookie sheet (11"x7"). Melt chips again for about 30 seconds. Using a spatula, spread the chocolate on top then sprinkle with chopped pecans. Break or cut into pieces when completely cooled, about 30 minutes.

Here are some things I've learned after making this for almost 20 years:
    *Karo Syrup is not necessary (I added this a few yrs ago and it cuts better with-its not so crumbly).
    *If you don't have an 11x7 pan, use a bigger pan and just fold foil to make a "wall".
    *You can toss chips onto hot toffee and cover with foil for 2-3 mins then spread the now melted chocolate all over.
    *Put chocolate on toffee quickly this helps it stick together better.
    *Any nuts can be used on top. Sprinkle on then lightly pat down into chocolate.
    *You can spread other side with chocolate too if you'd like.
    *After cutting, save crumbs to top ice cream.
    *This can be placed in refrigerator to cool down quickly.
    Enjoy, Paulette
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
    Star,

The only time I have toffee and other candy problems is if I cook in a humid environment-because the candy will not harden properly. The toffee will absorb water from the air and turn into syrup.

And this is how to prevent your toffee from separating:

ANOTHER TOFFEE MAKING TIP: Stirring constantly between 236 degrees F and 290 degrees F prevents butter from separating.

Melt butters slowly; add sugar, water and salt. Cook at low heat, stirring constantly until it reaches 212 degrees F.

STOP STIRRING until candy reaches 236 degrees F.

Add the walnuts and stir constantly until candy reaches 290 degrees F.

False

Cool

Here are a couple more tips or things I do just a little differently.
    I grind the chocolate chips instead of melting them, put half on the bottom of the pan along with half the nuts, then pour the cooked toffee over this and top with more chocolate and nuts. This last year I made a recipe using brown sugar and with it I used Honey roasted peanuts.

Star, I found the secret to using a candy thermometer is to get a good one, the ones from walmart don't work.

Debbie
    False
    This is the best I make.
    Toffee 1 pound (4 sticks) butter 2 cups granulated sugar 1 cup chopped nuts 8 regular-size Hershey bars,
    chopped

Place butter, sugar and nuts in a heavy saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 300 degrees.
    Pour into a baking sheet with sides (jellyroll-style pan). Top with chocolate bars. Spread or swirl chocolate over hot toffee as it melts.
    Cool and break into pieces as you would peanut brittle.
    False
    I forgot to say I don't chop the candy. It melts fast and you can just spread it.
    False