Question about Pork Tenderloin Tips | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question about Pork Tenderloin Tips

Last post Feb 24, 2006 7:15 AM by Fratz_NC . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Question about Pork Tenderloin Tips
    I just returned from the grocery store. I bought something called Pork Tenderloin Tips...never had them before and don't know what to do with them. They were in 2lb packages for $3.00. I bought two packages. They look like a chunk of meat to me...don't know where the "Tips" part comes from...maybe once the package is opened, I will find that they are actually cut.

Can anyone tell me what I have and how to cook them?

Thanks for your help.

Fratz
    False
  • RE: Question about Pork Tenderloin Tips
    I thought I had one solid piece of meat when I bought them and didn't know what to do either. It looks like one piece but when you open it you find you have several "chunks." I ended up putting them in a pan, put some BBQ sauce on top and put them in the oven at 350 for about an hour. They were OK but I wouldn't buy them again. Next time I'll read the package!
    False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast
    i would put them in the crock-pot all nite and add bbq
    dorlisa
    False
    Thanks Folks...sometimes ignorance is a blessing...guess it was not in this case. I think that a day's cooking in the crockpot might just do the trick.

Thank you again...

Fratz
    False
    Fratz, I know this is too late but if you ever buy them again (and what an excellent price you got them for!) here's what I do with pork tenderloin. I've posted this before so it may look familiar to some.

Although this recipe is for pork chops, I slice up a tenderloin into 1" slices. Have also made this in the oven but on the grill rules!

GRILLED PINEAPPLE PORK CHOPS

Source: One of Reiman's Magazine, ? which one, ? date as I cut that part off when I snipped the recipe a while back. Doubtful it would be TOH, QC or L&T as I keep those intact.

Submitted by Debby Cole of Wolf Creek, OR

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    3 TBSP soy sauce (I used low sodium)
    6 pork chops (1" thick)
    1 can (20 oz) sliced pineapple, drained

Combine the brown sugar, salad dressing, pineapple juice and soy sauce. Mix well. Pour 2/3 cup into a large ziplock-type bag; add pork chops. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight (I marinated 10 hours). Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.

Drain and discard marinade from pork. Grill, uncovered over medium heat for 8 mins on each side (my grill is hot, so I grilled mine on low 5 mins each side). Place pineapple slices on grill. Baste pork and pineapple with reserved marinade. Grill 5-8 mins longer or until meat juices run clear. Place a pineapple slice on each chop.

False
    Sue...it is not too late. I tossed those things in the freezer as a project for another day. Years ago, I would never have bought them without knowing what I was doing.

This BB has given me confidence...I know that someone on here can tell me exactly what to do with most any food item I purchase. I feel so lucky to have you all. I just wish you had been around in my younger days when I struggled so hard in the cooking department.

Thank you so much for the recipe. It sounds wonderful...especially since my family loves pineapple.

Fratz
    False
    They might be what in California are called "tri-tip". Usually beef tri-tips are more common here,but pork tri-tips are also available. I had some in the freezer and thinking I was getting out a pork loin, I seasoned it with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and thyme, roasted it and it was pretty tasty. I don't overcook my pork, take it out way before most cook books tell you to. It keeps cooking after you get it out of the oven.
    Another way to fix it is to cut into cubes, brown it and make chile verde.

Evelyn's Chili Verde
    2 lbs cubed pork
    1 onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 or 2 4-oz cans diced green chilies
    1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
    3/4 cup water
    Brown meat in large pot. Layer chiles, onions, tomatoes over meat. Sprinkle garlic over tomatoes. Pour water over mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 2 hours; do not stir. Season with salt as desired.

I have made this in crock pot and stirred it and it came out very tasty. This came from a cook book put together by professional home economics teacher of California, Nevada and Arizona.
    Gerrie
    False
    Fratz, I should also mention that I once used pork loin. I bought a whole piece and sliced it up. Just not the same. IMO, this recipe is strictly for pork tenderloin AND grilling. I use different marinades for different cuts of meat, but once I started with this one, I stopped experimenting.
    False
    Fratz - I bought them too at that price (2 pkgs), and wish I would've gotten more.

I pounded the pieces, cut in smaller pieces, floured, egged, then breaded, and sauted in olive oil for the best breaded pork cutlet sandwiches!

Also, I've made pork parmesan using this cut. Just bread, pan fry, put in pan with sauce, top with mozzarella and bake at 350. Delicious!

You can use thin slices as you would chicken for lemon pork scalloppine or pork marsala.

I love the Crock Pot, but this cut of pork just isn't meant for all day cooking. It's very tender when quick fried. Oh, and try it for Weiner Schnitzel!

Arlene
    False
    Thanks Gerrie and Arlene...maybe this wasn't such a bad purchase after all. Now...I just have to get it out of the freezer and cook it.

Fratz
    False