How to freshen-up and use stale crackers, etc? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to freshen-up and use stale crackers, etc?

Last post Feb 26, 2006 12:36 PM by gaudrey_GA . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How to freshen-up and use stale crackers, etc?
    I'm reorganizing some of my kitchen cupboards (yea!!!) and hate to toss out any food that COULD possibly be used. I have some soda crackers, Ritz, pretzels, and chow mein noodles that taste a bit stale. Seems like I've heard of ways to toast/bake stale chips and crackers in the oven ...how long? ...what temp? Any ideas on how to finish up these items? Recipes?
    Thanx to all who reply! :o)
    False
  • RE: How to freshen-up and use stale crackers, etc?
    I used to work at a Women's Shelter, and we did this all the time.

Take a serving of your crackers or chips and microwave them for 30 seconds Voila, fresh crackers.
    False
    The microwave trick works like a charm. You can also put them in a single layer on a baking sheet in a very slow oven (250 degrees) for about a while. You have to watch them carefully though so they don't get too crisp.
    False
    Welcome to the RECIPES BB, I know you'll love it here! Get comfortable, have fun, make friends, post some recipes, print some recipes! Stock up on paper and ink cartridges! LOL!

Here are 2 links that I hope you will use. If you copy and paste them into your browser they will take you directly to interesting and useful information to make your BB experience easier and you'll get better results with your searching, requesting, posting, everything!

Have fun and come back soon!

~~susie.

ABBREVIATIONS:

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=206197&catnum=68&headnum=2

HINTS & TIPS:

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=187022&catnum=68&headnum=2

False

False

Photobucket

,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
    ```)¨(´´´    l±±±±
    ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

Hello and welcome to the "recipe" side of the board. .......... Get comfy and have a look around, feel free to join in anywhere and have some fun with us -- we'd love for you to share your recipes, if that's something you'd like to do!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Hope you enjoy your time here ... See ya on the boards.. !! ☺

Hugs to you! ♡ Waving from Oklahoma......

Here are 2 links for you . They will help you find interesting and useful information to help you make the most of your time on this wonderful BB...in just no time I hope you find that you have found a new family here, with us!

Have fun !

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=206197&catnum=68&headnum=2

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=187022&catnum=68&headnum=2

♥LindaChicken

♡ God Bless our Troops ♡

False

Photobucket

Subject: Souffle'ed Saltines....different and yummy!!
    Posted by: gaudrey_GA Replies: 14 Posted on: 10/29/2002 8:39:35 PM
    #T99007

Subject: Souffle'ed Saltines..different and yummy!
    Posted by: gaudrey_GA Replies: 0 Posted on: 10/29/2002 8:37:47 PM
    #T99006
    Souffle'ed Saltines

Saltine crackers
    Hard butter, keep in refrigerator until ready to use
    Ice water

Put water in a large flat baking pan to a depth of about 1 inch. The broiler pan that comes with most stoves works fine. Add enough ice to make it very cold. Place 20 of the crackers in the water so they are completely covered and not crowded. Let soak 20 minutes. Lift each cracker with a slotted egg turner, turning gently from side to side to let all the water drip off. Place carefully on an ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. All 20 should fit on a 14x16 inch cookie sheet. Rub the hard butter over the large holes on a grater. Place several slivers of butter on each cracker. Return butter to refrigerator until needed again so it will stay hard enough to grate. Bake crackers at 425° for 10 minutes or until all crackers are puffed. Reduce heat to 325° for 20 minutes longer, or maybe a little more depending on your oven. When done the crackers will have NO shiny, soft spots on the bottoms, and will be delicately brown. Watch carefully since the ones around the edges usually get done first. They should bake until all of them have no shiny spots on the bottom. Just keep checking and remove from the pan as they get done. Cool completely on racks. Store cooled crackers in a can with a tight fitting lid. The crackers will get bigger, thinner, and curl at the edges. They will taste nothing at all like a saltine cracker. They can be used plain, as a base for a spread, or with soups or salads. They have so many uses I was undecided about where to post this. I may put it in some other places also. Make a lot at a time. They keep well..that is if you hide them well!

False