What is the best oil to use for frying doughnuts? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the best oil to use for frying doughnuts?

Last post Feb 26, 2006 7:22 PM by carolinacooker . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • What is the best oil to use for frying doughnuts?
    I have made my second batch of doughnuts and used liquid Crisco Vegetable oil in my electric frying pan for both batches. I save the oil from the first batch and refrigerated it. I made the second batch today (a different recipe), just two days after the first batch and I really did not like the way the second batch tasted because, it seemed, the oil flavored the doughnuts much to obviously. Is there a better oil to use for doughnuts and should I only use the oil once? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

False
  • RE: What is the best oil to use for frying doughnuts?
    I always use canola oil.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    Perhaps you missed a thread of some days/weeks ago. Don't "fry" your donuts. Someone suggested baking them in the oven instead, and they turned out absolutely wonderful. Saves all those calories and are absolutely wonderful.
    The thread was called something about "krispy and creamy" , maybe you can search and find it.
    I used the regular donut recipe i always used out of Betty Crocker, bread machine made and raised the dough. I cut them, put them on cookie sheets to raise, popped them in the oven, dipped them in a glaze, and they melt in your mouth. i think i baked them 400 for 10 min.
    they also freeze well. i did the same thing and made creme fills, wonderful.
    False
    Thanks Plum and Barb:) Barb, I did see the bit about baking and I guess I'll have to give it a try. I wanted to try the traditional way first and see how they turned out. I'll have to give baking a try next time.

I do wonder, though, if I should have used fresh oil second time around. Perhaps the used oil had gotten a bit burnt or something. The doughnuts today have a wonderful texture, but the oil just made the flavor a little off, in my opinion.
    False
    Barbin... could you post the recipe for the bread machine raised donuts and glaze for us PLEASE? Sounds wonderful.
    Penny
    False
    BUMP Good Post!
    False
    I used to make doughnuts almost every week end many years ago and always used Crisco. NOT oil. And I reused it many times.
    BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

Thanks, BJ! That is exactly what I was going to try next. I just "retasted" the doughnuts and they taste good to me now. Not Krispy Kremes(although the same texture) but good and better to me than before. Who knows...maybe it's just my tastebuds! If I don't bake them next time as Barb suggested, I'll use the Crisco solid.

False

Barbin,I typed in Donuts and on the first page there is a post:"how about baked donuts". I will make those and hopefully thet will come out OK.I never deep fry anything.
    False

* Exported from MasterCook *

Doughnuts-Betty Crocker

Recipe By :BettyCrocker
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup shortening
    5 cups flour
    2 packages yeast

Heat water and milk, add remaining ingredients. (I made 1/2 recipe for bread machine)
    Let rise till double, about 1 hour. Turn dough onto GENEROUSLY floured surface. Roll to 1/2 inch thick and cut with doughnut cutter. Place on waxed paper to raise and don't make them too close or they stick. Let rise until double 30-40 minutes. Heat oil to 350 and slide doughnut into oil. Turn doughnut as they rise, about 1 minute on each side.

BAKED - I cut the above in 1/2 cause that fits my bread machine. Put ingredients in the bread machine in the order it suggests. I think the glaze recipe is for 1/2 recipe of donuts if i remember correctly

Can be made same as above and baked at 400 for 8-10 minutes.
    Glaze with 1/3 cup butter, 2 cup powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tea vanilla, 4 tablespoon hot water.
    Dip donuts in while both are warm and lay on rack to drip, having cloth or waxed paper under to catch drips.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

False
    Remind me when DH goes away again to make some doughnuts. He has diabetes so I can't make them when he's home. I'll be the ladies at work would like them. I make (or used to) great doughnuts. Thanks Carolinacooker for making me think of that.
    BJ
    False

Great recipe, Barb, and I like the fact that you used your Bread Machine and it worked well. I like to use my Bread Machine whenever possible!
    False
    Hey, BJ, could you share your recipe please:)
    False
    Sure, give me time to dig it out.
    BRB.
    BJ
    False

Raised Doughnuts

1 pkg active dry yeast
    1/4 c warm water (l05 to 115º)
    3/4 c lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
    1/4 c sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1/4 c shortening
    3 1/2 to 3 3/4 c A/P flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in mil, 1/4 c sugar the salt, egg, shortening and 2 cups of the flour.
    Beat until smooth. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
    Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; nead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
    Punch down dough; let rise again until almost double, about 30 minutes.
    Roll dough 3/8" thick on lightly floured surface. Cut dough with floured doughnut cutter. Let rise until double and very light 30 to 45 minutes (leave uncovered so crust will form on dough).
    Heat fat or oil (3-4") to 375º in deep fat fryer or kettle. Drop doughnuts into hot fat. Turn doughnust as they rise to surface. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
    Carefully remove from fat; do not prick the surface. Drain. While war, dip in glaze.
    2 dozen doughnuts.

Glaze

Blend 1/3 cup boiling water into 1 cup confectioners'sugar. Dip warm doughnuts into warm glaze.

I can't take credit for this recipe. But I can't remember where I got it.
    BJ

False