Hot Fudge!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hot Fudge!!

Last post Mar 04, 2006 8:00 PM by Teddys_Mom . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Hot Fudge!!
    Does anyone remember an Ice cream shop in Orange County Calif called Ferrils (sp?)Ice Cream Parlor. It was GREAT!! They had the best sundaes and funny names for some of them, and they beat drums when you ordered certain things. I was wondering if anyone knew what brand of Hot Fudge they used? I have not tasted a good hot fudge since having theirs. I would sure love to have my kids experience the great taste of that fudge!! Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Hot Fudge!!
    I don't know about the hot fudge but sure do remember the ice cream parlor.
    My kids were born in the '70's and we celebrated their birthdays for quite a few years there. Fond memories!
    You can probably do a search and I bet come up with a hot fudge pretty close.
    False
    Remember the zoo? On your birthday they'd run through the parlor with the ice cream that had all the little plastic animals on it? In fact, I used to collect the plastic animals they'd put on top of my sundaes! Then they had the candy section on the way out the door? Ahhhh, one of my favorite memories! :)
    False
    I cannot help you AT ALL, other than to share a wonderful recipe for hot fudge. I have been guilty of eating this with a spoon without even any pretense of having any ice cream with it! I make a good HFS from a Julia Child recipe, but it takes several steps and this is SO easy:

Bunko Hot Fudge Sauce

1 can condensed milk
    1 stick butter
    1 can Hershey's syrup

That's it! Mix it in a saucepan and heat up, or I have put it in a mini crock pot when I have guests. It's wonderful. I'm sorry you can't get the exact recipe you want, I know how it is. There used to be a restaurant here, I think it was a chain - Swenson's, and they had the most wonderful HF sundaes with these nifty crunchy little wafer cookies they served them with. I still think about them and that's been years and years ago.

Emily
    False
    Emily

Farrell's!! Wow! We celebrated my daughter's first birthday at Farrell's in Michigan ... she is now 25!

False

Hi, Isit regularcondensed milk or sweetened condensed milk? Thanks BJ28
    False
    False

We used to have them here in Atlanta and when it was your birthday the wait staff rang bells, clanged, beat the drums - and sang Happy Birthday - bringing you your birthday cupcake or sundae - can't remember which. We took my son there when he was about 13 and he almost died from embarrassment.
    They closed up here - years ago.

There's a similar Ice Cream Parlor in Eugene, Oregon now. Not sure of the name, though.

They were fun. They had these huge ice cream concoctions that took a crowd to eat!

Tria
    False
    Tria
    FYI - That is a Farrell's in Eugene!
    Here are the remaining ones.
    Tria

Current Locations
    There are at least two places currently operating under the Farrell's name. One is in San Diego the other in Portland, Oregon on Pearl St. (it still has Green Rivers on the menu!) I also discovered a place in Portland that had been a Farrell's and now operates as the Orginal Portland Ice Cream Parlor (on Weidler St.)
    I searched BigYellow for nationwide Farrell's listings and got the following:

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant
    10606 Camino Ruiz, San Diego, CA 92126
    (858) 578-9895

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour & Restaurant
    7920 Ronson Rd, San Diego, CA 92111
    (619) 291-1887

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour Restaurant
    3939 Rosemead Blvd, Rosemead, CA 91770
    (818) 288-1342

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour & Restaurant
    1313 Pearl St, Eugene, OR 97401
    (541) 342-3213

Farrell's The Original Portland Ice Cream Parlour
    1613 NE Weidler St, Portland, OR 97232
    (503) 281-1271

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor
    Wheaton Plaza Shopping Ctr, Silver Spring, MD 20902
    (301) 946-8922

False
    Tria
    Isn't that something, Tria? I thought they were long gone. I have family still living near San Diego, will have to ask if they know this.
    False
    My brother worked at the Farrell's in Sunnyvale, CA when it first opened. He had strong arms & got the job of ice cream scooper---hard ice cream to scoop for 8 hrs a day : )

Cali

ps...this was in 1968-69 I think, so long ago.
    False
    Ezpickins - regarding your question about the condensed milk - the recipes that I have calling for condensed milk have always meant the sweetened condensed milk. I don't think the syrup would have enough sugar to make the sauce sweet enough plus the sweetened condensed milk would make the sauce much thicker. You might know someone would post this wonderful recipe just when I had decided to start a low carb diet!! LOL
    False