lasagna recipes-without ricotta or cottage cheese | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

lasagna recipes-without ricotta or cottage cheese

Last post Mar 03, 2006 7:25 PM by diddelydi . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • lasagna recipes-without ricotta or cottage cheese
    I am looking for lasagna recipies that do not include ricotta chesse or cottage cheese as I do not like these cheeses. Any help would be appreciated.
    False
  • RE: lasagna recipes-without ricotta or cottage cheese
    For the white cheesy layer in lasagna I mix together:

8 oz. cream cheese
    1 c. sour cream
    1 c. parmesan cheese
    1 egg yolk
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 T. parsley

Soften cream cheese and mix with mixer. Add in remaining ingredients and stir until blended.

Use this in place of the ricotta layer in your favorite lasagna recipe.
    False
    I would love to hear about any no-cheese lasagnas too, I am allergic to cheese. When I make lasagna I make a seperate pan with extra tomato-sauce instead of cheese.
    False
    The filling I use is: 9x9 pan
    1 box of frozen spinach (thawed and drained) , 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 bread crumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1 tblsp. parsley, 1/2 tsp. garlic, 1/2 tsp.salt and 1/2 tsp.pepper.
    Mix all together and layer on noodles, spread 1 cup mozzarella over spinach layer, then sauce (homemade or Prego, or any other) over that. Repeat twice.
    My family loves this one, and I've been making it for over 40 years.
    I double this for 9x13 pan.
    False
    Here is my Lasagna recipe:

1 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef
    1 Onion, chopped
    1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce
    1/3 Package Lasagna Noodles
    8 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    8 Ounces Monterey Jack Cheese
    Parmesan Cheese

1. Brown ground beef and onion until beef no longer pink. Add spaghetti sauce and turn fire on low.

2. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles until al dente.

3. Use 10 x 15 pan, put a spoonful of sauce in bottom of pan and spread over bottom of pan. Just enough to keep noodles from sticking. Put in a layer of noodles. Put in 1/3 of the sauce. Cover with 1/3 of the cheeses. Continue layering ending with cheese. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.

4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cheeses are melted and sauce is bubbling.

5. Serve with salad and garlic bread.

Notes: This is my own recipe. I used to make the sauce, but got lazy. I never used ricotto or cottage cheese like others do. I think my original recipe called for ricotto and I couldn't find any and didn't know what it was, so I just used a white cheese. Anyway, we have always liked this, even it it isn't traditional.

connieh
    False
    bakingballerina,
    Can you use soy cream cheese or tofu?
    I always substitute mashed tofu for ricotta(I season it a bit with Italian seasonings, garlic powder and salt)
    chefly
    False
    I've made this one many times and it's really, really good. Different than traditional lasagna.
    dawn
    :-)

REC:~Cajun Chicken Lasagna~
    Posted by: Cittie Replies: 1 Posted on: 11/12/2005 6:55:39 AM
    #T599921
    Cajun Chicken Lasagna

Source: Better Homes and Gardens

Makes 12 servings
    Prep: 45 minutes
    Bake: 1 hour

Ingredients
    16 dried lasagna noodles
    1 pound andouille sausage or smoked pork sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
    1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
    1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
    2 10-ounce containers refrigerated light Alfredo sauce
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; rinse. Combine sausage, chicken, Cajun seasoning, and sage. In a large skillet cook meat mixture 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in skillet. Set meat mixture aside; keep warm. In same skillet cook onion, celery, sweet pepper, and garlic in drippings until vegetables are tender. Stir in meat mixture, one container of the Alfredo sauce, and Parmesan cheese.
    2. Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick spray. Arrange 4 noodles in bottom of dish. Spread with 2 cups of the meat-vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Carefully spread remaining Alfredo sauce over the top (if sauce is too thick, heat slightly). Cover; bake 1 hour or until heated through. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carefully cutting. Makes 12 servings.
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

We do not care for the cottage/ricotta cheese either, so I came up with this years ago.....It's a winner accorning to my family. They LOVE IT :

Kate's 3 Cheese Lasagna
    1 lb sausage
    1 cup chopped onions
    32 oz jar spaghetti sauce
    1 can mushrooms
    6-8 cooked lasagna noodles
    1 large package mozzarella cheese shredded
    1 package shredded velvetta cheese
    1 small package shredded parmesan cheese

Brown sausage with onions.
    Drain
    In large bowl mix drained meat with spaghetti sauce and mushrooms.
    In a seperate bowl mix all three cheeses together
    Cook and drain in cold water the lasagna. (Do not over cook the lasagna.)
    In a 9x13 spread a small amount of the meat mixture.
    Layer 3-4 noodles, 1/2 of meat mixtue and 1/2 cheese mixture.
    Repeat layer, ending with cheese.
    Cover loosely with foil
    Bake @ 350 for 30 - 40 minutes
    I remove the foil for the last 10 minutes.
    False
    False
    I have seen recipes where they used a bechamel sauce in place of the cheese. I have never tried it but I think they do that with Greek dish. Cannot remember the name, Greek lasagna.
    False

Diane

How about this one. It does sound good.

Posted by: April_in_NM Replies: 9 Posted on: 8/30/2005 9:13:34 AM
    #T563966
    This is what I'm making tonight for my husband's birthday dinner. It is better than any Moussaka I've ever had at any Greek restaurant (and I've been to many!) It's from "The Book of Greek Cooking" by Lesley Mackley. If you've never had Moussaka, you're missing out!

Moussaka

1 1/2 lb eggplant
    salt and pepper
    1 T extra-virgin olive oil
    2 onions, finely chopped
    1 1/2 lb ground lamb or beef (I use beef)
    2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    2 T tomato paste
    1 T chopped fresh oregano
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 cup dry white wine

White Sauce:
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    2 cups milk
    2/3 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Thinly slice eggplant and put into a colander. Sprinkle with s/p and let drain 1 hour. Heat 1 T oil. Add onions and cook until soft. Add meat and brown. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, wine and 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer 30 minutes. Remove lid and cook until mixture is dry. Pat eggplants dry with paper towels. Heat 1/2 inch oil in skillet. Fry eggplants, turning once, until begining to brown. Drain on paper towels. Preheat oven to 350.

To make sauce, melt butter, stir in flour an dcook 2 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk and yogurt. Return to heat. Stir until thick and smooth. Simmer 5 minutes. Season with s/p. Put a layer of eggplant in a baking dish. Cover with 1/2 of meat mixture, then half of remaining eggplant slices. Cover with remaining meat and eggplant slices. Pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until brown. Serves 6

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    False

Diane