Help Please! I need a quick & easy dessert! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help Please! I need a quick & easy dessert!

Last post Mar 09, 2006 5:31 PM by Dianne4 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Help Please! I need a quick & easy dessert!
    I completely forgot that it is my turn to provide dessert for my weekly group tonight. I usually take care of it the night before.

The problem I have is that 3 people have allergies to food, so it limits what I can make.

It cannot have cream cheese, bananas or chocolate in the recipe!!!! Darn! Almost everything GOOD has chocolate or cream cheese it it. I am so busy today, but I would really like to take something that is not bought at the grocery store.

Can you help??

Thanks,
    Josie
    False
  • RE: Help Please! I need a quick & easy dessert!

This is a great cake and easy.

Oatmeal Cake

1 c oatmeal
    1 1/2 c boiling water
    1/2 c butter
    1 t cinnamon
    1 c sugar
    1 c brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/8 t salt
    1 1/2 c flour
    1 t baking soda

Mix oatmeal and water-let stand 20 minutes. Cream butter and sugars together; add salt and eggs, combine with oatmeal. Stir in flour, soda and cinnamon. Bake in a greased and floured 13x9 in pan at 325 for 35 min.

Frosting:
    1/3 cup butter
    1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup milk, 2%
    2 cups sifted icing sugar

Frosting:

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir over low heat 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in icing sugar. Spread on cooled cake.
    False
    I have made this several times. I like to use orange or strawberry jello in the recipe.

Posted by: candykisses_Oklahoma Replies: 5 Posted on: 2/5/2002 8:53:23 AM
    #T26705
    JELLO BUNDT CAKE

Serves: 12
    Source: Brenda
    Effort: easy
    Comments: Our favorite is lemon

Ingredients:
    1 pkg. Jell-O
    3/4 c. boiling water

1 cake mix
    4 - 5 eggs
    3/4 c. oil

Instructions:
    Dissolve Jell-O
    Mix cake mix, eggs, & oil well.
    Add Jell-O
    Bake 350 in bundt pan 30 - 35 min.
    Grease & flour pan

Use same flavor Jell-O & cake mix.

Use a glaze frosting

False
    I cannot begin to tell you how many times this has saved me! Great tasting, and fast, always gets rave reviews. Linda

LAST MINUTE DESSERT

Butter an 8" x 8" pan. Add 1 can of pie filling of your choice. Sprinkle the contents of a single layer white cake mix over the top. Pour 1/2 cup melted butter over evenly, sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped nuts. Bake at 350º for 35 minutes.

I have used a mixture of cherry and blueberry filling, with a double cake mix, for a 9x13 pan.
    False
    APPLE SPICE CAKE

Serves: 12-16
    Source: Jan
    Effort: easy
    Comments: This should be pretty low fat. A light dusting of powder sugar or a dollop of cool whip is very good on this. Smells so good while baking.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (1 lb. 2.25 oz.) pkg. spice cake mix
    1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
    3 eggs
    1/4 c. water

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350º.
    Spray a 9x13” cake pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
    In mixing bowl add all ingredients. Mix on low speed for about 30 seconds. Then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
    Pour batter in pan and bake immediately.
    Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

“Faith is not faith until it’s all you’re holding on to”
    False
    Or how about making a fruit tray, and use cool whip with a flavored yogurt mixed in for the dip. Easy! Or you can use flavored cool whip, or use jello powder to flavor the cool whip.
    False
    REC REV: kathyf1's apple crisp--yummy!
    Posted by: gratefulservant_AZ Replies: 6 Posted on: 10/15/2005 7:33:39 PM
    #T587858
    I didn't intentionally tweak this, but didn't quite have the right oats so I used 1/2 cup of instant maple and brown sugar oatmeal packets (took about 1 1/2 packets and the ones I had were the low sugar ones). Otherwise I made it the same, but didn't have vanilla ice cream, so used butter pecan. It's really yummy and easy. Definitely will make again. I also forgot to put the cinnamon in the topping, so just sprinkled some on top and mixed it as well as I could, but it probably wasn't a whole teaspoon.

Apple Crisp

Here in upstate new york we are very proud of our apple crops and have a great apple festival in october in our area too. Apple crisp is a popular recipe around here and this buttery recipe is so good (and even better when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream) This is a dessert I make often in the fall and winter - we all love it- particularly my husband.

6 cups peeled sliced apples (I use cortland apples)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon water
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup oats
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)

Heat oven to 375. Place apples in 8 inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with water and lemon juice. In a bowl combine all remaining ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over apples. Bake for 45 mins or until the apples are tender.

False
    You guys are great! I knew I could throw this at you and some wonderful ideas would come my way! My mind is on so many other things today, that just "thinking" about what to take was too much for me!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Josie
    False
    let us know what you decide! These all look yummy!
    False
    Photobucket

This is one I posted on the BB last year.

EASY OATMEAL DESSERT

1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 (21oz) can pie filling

Mix all together except pie filling until crumbly. Sometimes I soften the butter in the microwave. Press 2/3 of the mixture into a medium pie plate or 9 x 9 "pan. Add pie filling. Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture on top. Bake @ 350ºF for 25 minutes. Good served warm with ice cream.

My family likes cherry pie filling best and then apple or peach. Also good with Cool Whip.

Nancy Z.

False
    This is super easy and good too.

“Cherry Nut Crunch”

1 box white cake mix
    1¼ cup rolled oats
    1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
    1 stick butter
    1 egg
    ½ cup walnuts, chopped
    ¼ cup brown sugar, packed

Grease 13”x9”x2” pan. In a large bowl combine cake mix, 6 Tbs. butter, 1 cup oats and mix until crumbly. Resume 1 cup for topping.

To remaining crumbs in a bowl add 1 egg and mix until well blended. Press mixture into the bottom of the greased pan. Pour cherry pie filling over entire crust, covering it. To reserved crumbs in a large bowl add remaining ¼ cup of oats, 2 Tbs. Butter, nuts and brown sugar. Beat until thoroughly mixed, then sprinkle over the cherry mixture. Bake at 350° F for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Can be eaten hot or chilled. It's good with vanilla ice cream when hot.

~Jan~
    False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

I'm sure you are busy making the dessert, but I love this for an extra easy dessert. It is really tasty. I used a 9x13 pan and it served more than 4 people.

BERRY COOKIE COBBLER
    From Food Network – Semi Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee
    Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

2 bags (12 ounces each) frozen mixed berries, thawed
    1 container (21-ounce can) apple pie filling
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 roll (18-ounce) prepared sugar cookie dough
    Vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a large bowl, mix berries, apple filling, sugar, and cinnamon. Transfer fruit mixture to an 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking dish. Crumble cookie dough over fruit, covering thickly and completely. Bake uncovered until cookie crust is golden and crisp, and juices bubble thickly, about 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.
    Episode#: SH1A01
    Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

False