What's your favorite recipe using polish sausage/smoked sausage, kielbasa? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What's your favorite recipe using polish sausage/smoked sausage, kielbasa?

Last post Jan 30, 2010 9:31 AM by BreJo . 37 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (38 items) 123
  • RE: What's your favorite recipe using polish sausage/smoked sausage, kielbasa?
    Smoked Sausage and Bacon Macaroni Bake
    Posted by GreenChili

1 rope of smoked sausage
    6 slices bacon
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup celery, chopped
    1 Tbs flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 can of cream of celery soup
    1 can evaporated milk
    3 cups hot cooked macaroni
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole and preheat oven to 350.
    Fry bacon til crisp, reserve 2 Tbs drippings and pour off rest. Saute onions, celery, and sausage cut into slices in fat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add soup and evaporated milk. Cook 10 minutes until bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly.
    Crumble bacon and add to sauce.
    Spread a layer of macaroni into pan, cover with a layer of sauce and repeat.
    Top with cheese and bake 20-30 minutes til bubbly and cheese is melted.
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
  • RE: What's your favorite recipe using polish sausage/smoked sausage, kielbasa?
    I was going to post my jambalaya recipe but it is VERY similar to John's except I throw in 1/2 each of a red, green, and yellow bell pepper. Celery optional here, too. YUM! Dh's friend Dave requests this dish quite often.

The cajun cabbage and smoked sausage sounds AWESOME! I'm going to have to run out and get some cabbage so I can try that tomorrow. I'm sure dh will be excited, since he doesn't really like cabbage, lol.
    False
    I used to live in Chiclago right in the middle of a polish neighborhood. They made something, and i cannot remember the name of it, that used
    Saeurkraut, polish sausage, and potatoes, I loved it and still do. I cook it often. Deonia
    False
    Deonia, I have had that too, and it is really good, and easy to make. Dh hates sauerkraut, so I haven't made it in a LONG time. He can't even stand to smell it cooking.
    False
    RED BEANS & SAUSAGE

Serves: 4
    Source: "Taste of Home" April/May 96 pg. 44
    Effort: easy
    Comments: 6 grams of fat, 221 calories

Ingredients:
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 med. diced green pepper
    1 med. chopped onion
    1 T. oil
    2 cans kidney beans, rinse & drained
    1 lb.. smoked sausage (turkey), sliced
    3/4 c. water
    1 t. cajun seasoning
    1/8 t. hot pepper sauce
    hot cooked rice

Instructions:
    In a saucepan, sauté garlic, green pepper & onion in oil until tender, about 5 min.
    Add the next five ing., bring to a boil
    Reduce heat; cook for 5 - 7 min. or until the sausage is heated through
    Serve over rice if desired

"Never say no to a gift from a child"
    False
    STIR-GRILLED SMOKE SAUSAGE & VEGGIES

Serves: 2
    Source: LaDonna
    Comments: We like this and it is easily adjusted to your own taste. Just put more or less of what you like in it. To make this low-fat, just use lite smoke sausage or turkey smoke sausage

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (1 lb.) smoked sausage, chunked
    Several small red potatoes’s parboiled
    1 green pepper, diced
    4 banana peppers, diced
    1 onion, diced
    1-2 t. minced garlic
    1/2 package (1 lb. Size) cole slaw mix

INSTRUCTIONS:
    In a wok that is made for the grill, add all the above ingredients except for the cole slaw mix. I have the grill on high at first to kind of sear everything, then I turn the heat down to low. Be sure to stir occasionally. When veggies are about half way done, add the cole slaw mix. Finish cooking til veggies are tender.
    If you don’t want to do this on the grill, you can do it in a wok or large skillet inside.

“A cheerful conversation is a welcome gift you can share with anyone”
    False
    TEN BEAN SOUP

Serves: 6
    Comments: Recipe made up by LaDonna. If you can’t find a pkg. of 10 beans, use whatever you can use. I’ve used 16 beans soup mixture.

Ingredients:
    1 pkg. 10 bean soup beans (no flavoring)
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 can tomato with green chilies
    3 celery stalks, diced
    4 carrots, diced
    1 pkg, low fat smoke sausage, diced

To taste:
    salt
    pepper
    season salt
    chicken seasoning plus, optional
    onion powder
    minced garlic (I use 2-3 t. of the minced garlic)

Instructions:
    Add all ingredients, put in slow cooker to cook all day, or do on top of stove.
    Add enough water to cover all ing. good.
    Let simmer all day.

"Fear knocked on the door. Faith opened it and there was no one there"
    False
    HEARTY POTATO CHOWDER

Serves: 4
    Source: LaDonna
    Comments: Some nice hot cornbread goes good with this.

Ingredients:
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 c. broccoli, chopped fine
    2 c. finely chopped onion
    5 c. diced potatoes
    1 c. finely chopped carrots
    1 c. finely chopped celery
    3 T. butter
    4 c. water
    l lb. chopped smoked sausage
    4 c. milk

Instructions:
    In pot add all ing. except milk.
    Simmer until potatoes & veggies are done. I allowed around 30 min. or so.
    Add milk & seasonings to taste.
    I used salt, pepper, season salt & chicken seasoning plus.
    Heat until milk is hot, but not boiling.
    YUM

"Today I can grumble about my health…Or I can rejoice that I am alive"
    False
    Thank you everyone!
    False
    ***It doesn't matter how hot a guy is because there is some poor woman, somewhere, sick of his crap!!***
    I have made this for years. It's from Quick Cooking. I substitute cream of mushroom soup and a little milk and corn instead of the dreaded peas

"This stick-to-your-ribs dish is sure to satisfy the heartiest appetite," writes Schelby Thompson of Winter Haven, Florida. "You can take it from stovetop to table in about half and hour."

Colorful Kielbasa

1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted

1-1/2 cups water

1 tablespoon butter or margarine

1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice

1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas

1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

In a skillet, combine soup, water and butter; bring to a boil. Add kielbasa and rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Stir in peas and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and peas are heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.

False
    We slice a sausage put them in a frying pan on low then we add barbeque sauce. Then butter your hamburger buns and toast them in a frying pan. place your sausage over buns and sprinkle with cheese.
    False
    Donna Hardin
    Thehardins, that sounds yummy! I'll have to try that with the smoked sausage I don't use tonight.
    False
    I recently fixed kielbasa with onions, mushrooms and cabbage. I used a small amount of olive oil and lightly sauted onions, mushrooms and coarsely chopped cabbage. I then added serving size kielbasa pieces and a little white wine-covered the pan and turned the skillet on low. I let this simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the cabbage was tender. DH liked it and he doesn't really care for cabbage.
    False
    This is one I tried off this BB and reviewed. It is a favorite here.

Subject: ATTN: MimiRJ_FL Rec/Rev : Fiesta Cabbage..Fabulous Old fashioned one dish meal
    Posted by: Nindsy Replies: 4 Posted on: 2/1/2006 6:34:57 PM
    #T632434
    I made this tonight and we LOVED it. My notes at the bottom.

Posted by: MimiRJ_FL Replies: 9 Posted on: 1/6/2006 8:55:12 AM
    #T622110
    Tried this new receipe last night and it is really good so wanted to share it:

1 lb. polish Kielbasa sausage
    1 medium red onion
    1 medium green pepper
    1 medium red pepper
    1 medium head of cabbage
    1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes

Cut sausage into bite size pieces and saute in a little oil until browned in a large skillet; Remove from skillet and saute together the peppers and onions. After these are soft and transparent, add the shredded cabbage and cook until tender; add the sausage, together with a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper, let all simmer together for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This makes a really good one-dish meal. Yum-Yum.

NINDSY'S NOTES: Just two of us but we love Kielbasa so I used Hillshire Farm Beef Kielbasa but I cut other ingredients in half and substituted 7 oz of tomato juice (as I always have a large jar open in fridge) for the 14 oz diced tomatoes. I made according to directions. I served with buttered dinner rolls. We like a bit of mustard on the sausage when we eat it. Fabulous meal. Just enough left over for a small lunch for one of us. Great old fashioned recipe.

False
  • Re: RE: What's your favorite recipe using polish sausage/smoked sausage, kielbasa?

Great thread!

False