can meat in the oven | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can meat in the oven

Last post Jan 30, 2004 8:14 PM by pepmint . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • can meat in the oven
    hi guys, i only check in occasionally but just love this board.
    i was looking through a local church cookbook and one recipe was for canning meat in the oven. i tried it, my jars canned while i slept. but, do you know, IS THIS REALLY SAFE. i was afraid of botulism (sp) and frozen them all later in the day. i liked the idea of having meat/broth ready for quick use in soup, meat with gravy, etc. just wondered if anybody knows if i really needed to freeze my well-sealed jars to ensure the meat and broth is safe to eat. i used roast beef.
    False
  • RE: can meat in the oven
    When was the cookbook published???
    I wouldn't feel comfortable using that method! Sounds a bit dated.
    False
    a local church cookbook made in 1992. you put the meat in a jar with the lid and turn the oven on for lots of hours.
    False
    I don't know what the rules say, but my Grandmother used to can deer meat in gravy all the time. I grew up on it. I don't know how safe it is, but all my family survived it. LOL.
    Cindy
    False
    "Putting Food By" covers all methods of canning & doesn't speak well of this one. I'm glad you decided to freeze your meat!
    False
    Here is a link explaining oven canning.
    Hazardous Canning practices
    False
    eggcustard
    I have know lots of people that can meat, anything from venison to beef. They all use pressure cookers to can. Please be careful.
    False
    If you know how to use a pressuer canner I would use that. That is what my MIL and I did. You brown meat in lard or shortening then put in jars add a little bit of water, read instuctions for how many pounds pressure and amount time ( I think it was like 90 minutes) so really not that long and you have the most tender meat and all you do is open a jar, make potatoes and there's your meal.
    False
    that is exactly why i wanted to do it. but i don't have a pressure canner and don't want to go that route. i liked the canned idea over freezing since it won't need thawed ahead of time. i liked it "canning" while i slept. but i'm also afraid of botulism, so i froze it. i always keep chicken and broth frozen, but it's a lot of work to cook off the chickens (i do a lot at a time) and pick the meat off the bone, chop it up and put it into freezer containers. i'm looking for a quicker way to do the same thing but safety matters to me.
    False
    another question - how do you know if it has botulism. is the lid unsealed?
    False
    Botulism is not always easy to detect.
    Obviously mold, off-odors, gassiness, seepage around the seal, even though it appears sealed, & cloudy or yeasty liquid, should be suspect.
    False