HOW TO PREPARE FRESH BEETS... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HOW TO PREPARE FRESH BEETS...

Last post Mar 14, 2006 3:06 PM by GrandmaK_54_Illinois . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • HOW TO PREPARE FRESH BEETS...
    I plan to grow beets in Michigan, because my mom likes them. Only thing is, she has no clue how to prepare them fresh (neither do I, since I don't eat them). All I would like is the method in which you cook fresh beets (and how to prep them before you cook them). My mom's tastes are simple...she will just eat them as is more than likely...

Thank you for help

Aims62
    False
  • RE: HOW TO PREPARE FRESH BEETS...
    Real simple, wash mud off, cut the tops off leaving about three inches of leaves and then boil til tender. The skin will slip right off then. I just slice or chunk and put some butter on them. Oh are they good!!!
    False
    Hi Aims -love pickled beets and borscht. But I really love beet salad. I boil the beets with skins on and when they are tender, about 35 minutes later I peel them wearing gloves. The juice can stain your fingers. Then I slice them about 1/4 inch thick and mix vinegar and oil together to taste and pour over the beets and then sprinkle salt and pepper on them. Yummy either warm or cold.

Marlene
    False
    gramx10 explained it to a tee!! I use an egg slicer to slice them. It a very simple method.
    False
    I learned a new way to cook them last year that is fantastic. Scrub them good and cut the tops short. Wrap them in foil and bake them for an hour or two depending on the size. I baked them at 350 I think. Then just slip the skins the same if they were boiled. They have a more sweet intense flavor and are not as watery when you slice them. They are much better for salads and such too cause they are dryer and don't bleed so bad.
    Mmmmmmmmmm!
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    I am the only one in my house who eats fresh beets. So, I just scrub clean, but off the tops, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave till done. The take about the same length of time as a baked potato.

Then I slip the saran and skin off the beets, slice and sprinkle with fresh dill weed and some butter.
    False
    Scrub, clean, peel, cut into chunks, add chunks of parsnips, sweet potatoes, fingerling potatoes, carrots, a few cloves of garlic, rosemary, thyme, and toss with olive oil to coat. Roast @ 450 degrees for about an hour, stirring to coat every 15 minutes...MMMMMMMMMMM!
    False
    `HARVARD BEETS

1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tabls. cornstarch
    1/2 c. vinegar
    2 tabls. butter or margerine
    3 c. hot diced or sliced cooked beets
    or canned beets.
    Blend sugar, salt, cornstarch, stir in vinegar. Cook, stirring until smooth and thickened. Add butter and beets. Simmer20 min. Makes 5 servings.

We like these, hope you will enjoy them, also.
    False
    The only way I eat beets is fresh. Gramx10 explained it really well. Leisa's method sounds interesting...
    False