It's Hard To Believe, But I've Never Had Food Bought From a Chinese Restaurant.....What Do You Like?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

It's Hard To Believe, But I've Never Had Food Bought From a Chinese Restaurant.....What Do You Like??

Last post Mar 18, 2006 11:37 AM by trailcookMD . 40 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 123
  • It's Hard To Believe, But I've Never Had Food Bought From a Chinese Restaurant.....What Do You Like??
    I would love to try some of the dishes from a local Chinese restaurant, but really have no idea what to order.

LOL...I have always been fascinated when I watch a TV show and they are eating Chinese foods and have those little paper? containers...and of course they usually use the chop sticks, but I guess for me it would be a fork....only what should I order...nothing hot, please.

What I am wanting to try is an egg roll..no, I haven't even as much as had an egg roll..one time I mad egg rolls, but they had bean sprouts...didn't like the bean spouts, lol.

So, give me some idea of some really good dishes I could order!!

Thanks

mountain mama
    False
  • RE: It's Hard To Believe, But I've Never Had Food Bought From a Chinese Restaurant.....What Do You Like??
    I love Chinese food. I love General Tso's chicken or pork. It has lightly breaded meat and usually broccoli/water chestnuts in a spicy/sweet brown sauce. The menus usually have a little pepper or an * to indicate which dishes are hot. Szechuan is usually hotter than Hunan.
    The places here are very good about leaving out or adding to dishes...DH always asks for pea pods to be added no matter what he orders. If I order sweet and sour, they leave the green peppers out for me.
    I love anything in Garlic sauce, and Mongolian Beef (thin slices of beef and onions)...well I think I like it all! LOL

The portions are so large, one dinner will make 2 meals for us. Hope you find something you enjoy.

False
  • RE: It's Hard To Believe, But I've Never Had Food Bought From a Chinese Restaurant.....What Do You Like??
    I'm a General Tso's fan also, but always ask them to make it xtra hot, depends on where you go here if they give you brocolli with it, the last place we got some from did not include it. If you get the dinner special they usually come with pork fried rice & an egg roll, that's what we usually get.
    We also like the crab rangoons & dh likes the steamed dumplings & their seafood lo mein.

My mom loves their shrimp with garlic sauce.
    False
    Definitely steamed dumplings if they have them - and not fried. They will give you a separate container of the sauce to dip them. Sometimes I have to ask for extra sauce.

Be sure to ask if any dish is spicy. Also, they will usually ask you on a scale of 1-10 how hot you may want a certain dish, with 1 being not spicy, to hot, at 10.

My fave dishes are Cashew Chicken and Lo Mein (sometimes veg. lo mein, sometimes pork lo mein).

Enjoy!

Brenda
    False
    We have several Chinese restaurants, & each prepares the food a little differently! Some I like, & some I don't.

I like chicken chow mein. Comes served over chow mein noodles. I always ask for them on the side, as they will get soggy. That way, I can take the rest home, & still have crisp noodles the next day. I have to have almonds on it.

Also like pork fried rice. And sticky white rice.

I do not like Kikoman soy sauce--too sweet for me.

I eat the stuff that is pretty "quiet" as I can't eat spicy food.

One restaurant has a dish that has big shrimp & pea pods in it, also other vegs. Love that!

Years ago, we ate in a restaurant in Chinatown in San Francisco, & there were chickens hanging in the kitchen! Kind of grossed me out, but it was the best Chinese food I have ever had! No one spoke English!

I would suggest you go with several friends, & each order a different meal. Then everyone can sample the other dishes, & you will be able to find out what you like!

Have fun! :o)

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

If you don't like anything hot, I'd start off pretty bland. But, in order for you to appreciate the food, plan to eat in the restaurant when it's served piping hot. (Before take-out.) With our son, we started him out in a 'buffet' atmosphere. This way, you can sample various dishes and determine which of those you'd like, without wasting money on a whole meal of items you would determine that you don't like. All of the dishes are labeled, so you can write down what you like for the future. (Make sure you write them down...you'll forget after eating many dishes!) He started off loving the sweet and sour chicken, with the dipping sauce, then he went to the broccoli beef and chicken wings, then Kung Pao chicken, crab rangoon, and now, he's a 'terror' sampling everything! The buffets have the wonderful rolls and if you determine you don't like anything 'oriental', there is still a great salad bar and most have some American entrees for those that don't like Oriental. (That way, you won't feel you have wasted any money!) There are many buffets for a lunch or dinner around the country that are good. It's like swimming...first wade in slowly until you're comfortable! Sorry, but the cute paper containers they use are just for takeout and some don't even use them...just plain foam containers, so don't be disappointed if a restaurant doesn't use them! Good Luck! Trish
    False
    You don't know what you're missing!! I love chinese food. I agree with Trish that it's a good idea to start with a buffet if possible. There are so many wonderful dishes that you could otherwise miss out on if you haven't had a chance to sample them on a buffet. My favorites are General Tso's chicken, Chicken Lo Mein and Broccoli and Beef. I also love the teriyaki chicken. Most chinese restaurants will cook them either spicy or not - all you have to do is ask.

Enjoy!!

Laurie
    False
    I have only been to the buffet type of chinese place. Both have been wonderful. But that way I can try something that looks good, and If I don't like it, can leave it on my plate. My mother goes to one where she lives in Arkansas called JR China. She took us last summer.(it is really good if you have one). But she told a story about getting this beautiful pink item for dessert because she thought it was so pretty. Remember the word Dessert. Well she went to take a bite and oh my it didn't smell like dessert. She had mistaken sushi for dessert. She didn't eat it.
    So good luck, I can't recommend any dishes because I don't know what they are called.

Debbie
    False
    Oh I love Chinese also.

I love lo mein - it is noodles with meat (if you choose) and some veggies in a sauce, fried rice, chicken with mushrooms (which is chicken slices with a lot of mushrooms, veggies and sauce. I don't like the egg rolls at our local Chinese restaurants so what I do is buy them at the grocery store. I buy the frozen Pagoda Asian Style Sensations. It is a box of 4 eggrolls - they have other items also. They are better than our local shops.

Good luck & tell us what you got and how you liked it.
    Sue
    False
    We really like everything!
    Sweet and Sour Chicken is good and beef with pea pods too. Also, I like the cashew chicken and lo mein.
    Well, you just gotta try one or two at first and find out what your tastes are.
    Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing.

Gail
    False
    So many personal favorites, I always have a hard time choosing...

Crab Ragoon & Pot Stickers for appetizers

Sizzling Rice Soup or Wonton Soup

Entrees:
    Moo Shoo Pork.... my all time fav
    Mongolian Beef
    Sesame Chicken
    Chow Harlock
    Three Delight
    Cashew Chicken

And of course... that great Black Chinese Restaurant Tea ....
    False
    Buffet is the way to go and actually try different ones because they all have their own recipes for things. So something that you don't like one place you may another.
    False
    We have several places in town to go to. One is a buffet, which is great cause you can taste test everything and decide what you like best. For take-outs, they always use the little paper containers around here. They don't use chop sticks, but I'm sure they have them if you'd want to try them.

I like the Sweet and Sour Chicken.
    Always get Fried Rice with it, along with a couple Crab Rangoons, and I usually get an Egg Roll on the side.
    Then of course, the fortune cookie is always fun to read. The Shrimp and Chicken wings are also very good. I could make a meal with the Fried Rice alone!

Just experiment with all of it and I'm sure you'll find lots of things you will like.

Marge

False
    Patriciarose's suggestion is excellent - buffet is the way to go and usually they have labels to mark each dish. That way, if you take small samples of each food, you will quickly know what you do/don't like.

Brenda
    False
    Hi I love egg foo young but it really depends on the cook how good the gravy is, and the gravy is so important, I also order sesame chicken and I love fried rice..... Shirley I am so hungry now.
    False