Need help please. I am making Spinach and Artichoke Dip-can I freeze this??? If so, do I freeze before or after baking? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need help please. I am making Spinach and Artichoke Dip-can I freeze this??? If so, do I freeze before or after baking?

Last post Mar 21, 2006 4:37 AM by _FOOTSIE . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Need help please. I am making Spinach and Artichoke Dip-can I freeze this??? If so, do I freeze before or after baking?
    I am making it tonight and I won't be able to eat all of this myself and was wanting to take some on Thursday night. We have a ladies meeting once a month and I know that some of them like the dip as well. :0)

TIA for any help.

Angie
    False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/
  • RE: Need help please. I am making Spinach and Artichoke Dip-can I freeze this??? If so, do I freeze before or after baking?
    Well, it is in the oven now so....do you think it would be ok to freeze after it is baked? Please help if you can. I am really wanting to save some of this.

TIA,
    Angie
    False
  • RE: Need help please. I am making Spinach and Artichoke Dip-can I freeze this??? If so, do I freeze before or after baking?
    If it has mayonaisse in it, it won't freeze well...
    False
    If it has mayo, sour cream, or cream cheese, the texture might come out different after you freeze it.
    False
    I'm not sure what is in the recipe you used. I know some use mayo. Sometimes mayo does not do right after thawing. I do not know if mayo baked in a dish, then frozen would be ok.
    Hope someone can help that knows for sure.
    False
    Well Angie, just have it for supper tonight, breakfast, lunch and supper tomorrow, finish it off Wed. night, then make another one Thursday!

Or call the ladies and tell them you want to change the meeting to Tues. night! LOL

False
    Thank you all. I plan on eating it tonight and tomorrow. It is so yummy. Yes, it has Mayo or Sour Cream. So, I won't be freezing.

Angie
    False
    I have never frozen this dip but I have frozen this "mock oyster" dip after making it - it isn't baked - just cooked on the stove and then served, usually, in a crock pot.

Tria

This is one of the most popular dips that I have served over the years and I think it is best served w/ Fritos. However, it can even be served in miniature tart shells, crackers or anything. It always goes fast, and it is best made ahead and chilled overnight and reheated and served in crock pot or chafing dish.

Mock Oyster Dip

1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and well drained.
    1 med. onion finely chopped - and I cook it w/ the broccoli
    1 can (3 oz.) mushrooms - can use more, and can use sliced, or stems and pieces
    1 stick butter (you can use less)
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 6 oz. roll garlic cheese - (sometimes they have a similar cheese in the deli) sometimes hard to find, if you can't, just substitute 6 oz. melting cheese, e.g. velveeta - spicy would be good, or just throw in a tsp. of finely minced garlic
    1 package (3 oz.) slivered almonds - do not leave out!
    dash of tobasco! (unless you use spicy velveeta)
    Saute mushrooms and onion (if you did not add onions to broccoli) in butter
    and add all ingredients except broccoli. Cook until melted down well. Fold in broccoli. Stir well. Refrigerate for 24 hours. (This is when I have frozen it before)
    Heat and place in chafing/serving dish. Serve w/ Fritos.
    I have even added more broccoli, as it is chopped and they do not know they are getting "vegetables" in this tasty dip!
    Tria
    False
    Tria

Tria, Thanks for the recipe. It sounds really great. I love the artichoke dip and this one looks as good as it!
    BTW, I have copied and pasted so many of your recipes. When I see your name on a post, I know it's gonna be good!

False
    Thank you, Alabamaneenee - I appreciate the compliment.

I have never "made ahead" or frozen the artichoke dips - but this Broccoli Dip is an old stand by of mine. I once was in charge of a huge holiday open house and we froze plastic tubs of the "mock oyster" dip and it worked beautifully. Actually - as the recipe says - it is better made ahead and refrigerated a day ahead. I love that in a recipe.

At one of my daughter's receptions - this was served with tart shells. It is always very popular at parties.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    tgifriday's sells it in the grocer freezer case.
    False