Why eggs in meatloaf? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why eggs in meatloaf?

Last post Mar 29, 2006 4:30 PM by Aprilmb75 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Why eggs in meatloaf?
    With DGS having an egg allergy I am trying to find foods that the whole family can have when he is at our house. I thought about meatloaf for the next visit but most of the recipes have eggs. Why? What actually do the eggs do in meatloaf?

Gail
    False
  • RE: Why eggs in meatloaf?
    Eggs are a binder. They help make the meat loaf bond to the other ingredients and become firm......
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/

You can leave the eggs out. It just helps firm it up but it can stand on it's own with out it. It might fall apart but it'll still taste great.
    Maybe add a little more bread crumbs if you want to avoid that.
    False
    I went looking for you -- I'm sure I've seen recipes without eggs...
    Here's one..
    Recipe courtesy of Mary Selbe, Spearfish

This is the only eggless meatloaf recipe I have ever seen, and it’s great for people who are allergic to eggs. To cut down on fat, I often make the recipe with half ground turkey, half lean ground beef. I also sometimes add chopped green pepper to it for added flavor.

This recipe also is very good for those who are cooking for one or two people, because the unbaked loaves freeze well and can be baked one at a time as needed.

Tanya’s Favorite Meatloaf

2 pounds ground beef (or 1 pound each ground turkey and ground beef)
    2-3/4 cups fresh bread cubes (about 3 slices)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 tablespoons parsley or Morton’s Nature’s Seasoning spice blend
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon basil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    1 can vegetarian vegetable soup, mashed
    Swiss cheese

Topping:

1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoon mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix together all meatloaf ingredients except cheese. Shape into eight to 10 balls or loaves. Cut a cube of Swiss cheese (about 3/4 inch square) for each loaf and press into the center of each loaf. Bake loaves at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Then, mix together topping ingredients and put over the top of loaves and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer.

Found it here.
    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/recipes/articlearc.php?id=977
    False
    I'm not sure as I've never made a meatloaf without eggs - but in addition to binding - they also add some moisture. I would add a bit more milk, tomato sauce, etc. with the additional bread crumbs. If he's allergic to eggs - can he have the bread crumbs that might have eggs in them? If so - maybe you should bind it with ingredients - saltines,etc.
    Some people also use a little rice in their meat loaf.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    Mrs. Lucci - that recipe sounds great - eggs or not.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    Oh thanks... that site had a bunch of good recipes... really - next level - type meatloaves with like porcini mushrooms and all.

I wonder if a simple substitution of cottage cheese or ricotta would provide the same binding type behavior eggs does?

hmmm...
    False
    Even better, I wonder if some instant mashed potatoes -- with milk added -- like a thick paste would keep a meatloaf "bound"?

False
    I've had meatloaf made with cream of mushroom soup & no eggs, the undiluted soup helps bind the beef/breadcrumb mixture. She used 1/2 can in the meatloaf (1 1/2 lb. gr. beef) & the remaining 1/2 can was diluted with a bit of beef broth for gravy. It was really yummy!

Cali
    False
    Grated cheese also is a good binder. I forgot to put it in, once, and dh mentioned that it wasn't as firm as usual.

Kathy♥
    False
    I watched Paula Deen make meatloaf and she put slices of bread in the bottom of the pan to soak up all the fat. I thought I'd try that next time. Do any of you do that?
    False
    You all are the BEST!
    Thanks for the input and loads of tips and ingredient substitutions.
    I really appreciate your help.

Gail
    False
    I always put a couple of slices of bread in the bottom of the pan and then rest my meatloaf on top. It sure helps to sop up some of that nasty grease!
    Grandma Drake
    MO
    False
    I found that some BBQ Sauce (whatever you like) is good for binding instead of eggs, and adds some interesting flavours to a meatloaf. Sorry I can't give any amounts since I have never measured it. I just pour it in until it "looks right." I would start with a small amount like 1/4 of a cup and carry on from there.
    False
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' — Isaac Asimov Click for Thompson, Manitoba Forecast