mock stuffed cabbage | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

mock stuffed cabbage

Last post Feb 01, 2004 2:23 PM by lacountrygal . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • mock stuffed cabbage
    My family loves stuffed cabbage rolls. I had a recipe where you kept layering the shredded cabbage with the rice & hamburg in a roasting pan. I can't find my recipe. Does anyone have one for me.

Thanks.
    Catroy
    False
  • RE: mock stuffed cabbage
    bump
    False
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal Love leaves precious Memories no one can steal God Bless our Troops and emergency workers.
    Mock Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
    1 small head of cabbage shredded
    6 slices bacon
    3/4 cup onion chopped
    1 cup raw rice
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1 (15 1/2 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
    3 cups water
    1 small can mushrooms (optional)

Preheat oven to 400*. Use a buttered 9 x 13 inch casserole. Spread half of shredded cabbage in bottom of casserole. Saute bacon to limp stage. Set aside. To bacon drippings add onion and rice. Cook, stirring constantly until onion is soft and rice is lightly browned. Spoon over cabbage in casserole. Brown meat and spoon over rice mixture. Sprinkle with seasonings. Top with remaining cabbage. Heat spaghetti sauce and water and mushrooms (if you wanted to, add the small can in pan in which onion and rice were sauteed). Pour over cabbage. Top with bacon slices. Cover and bake 50 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
    False

Posted by: cathyb57_58_Mo Posted on: 8/11/2003 7:35:05 PM
    #R1981150
    I found this doing a search.

Subject: Almost Cabbage Roll Casserole
    Posted by: Jordi Replies: 8 Posted on: 1/16/2003 3:44:43 PM
    #T128194
    I got this off another BB and it is delicious! Almost Cabbage Roll Casserole

1 lb lean ground beef, uncooked (can also use ground turkey)
    3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice (can also use brown rice)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    28 oz can tomato sauce(unsalted) or 3 8oz cans + 1/2 can water
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp dry mustard
    8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 medium head)

In a large bowl, mix beef, rice, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. In another bowl, stir together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard. Layer 1/3 of the cabbage in bottom of a 3 quart casserole. Arrange 1/2 of the meat mixture on top. Cover with 1/3 of the cabbage. Top with remaining beef mixture and remaining cabbage. Pour tomato sauce mixture over top, but do not stir. Casserole will be full. Cover. Place on cookie sheet to catch any spills. Bake at 325 for 2 hours without stirring. Do not uncover so the steam will cook the rice and meat. Turn off heat and let sit in oven for about 15-30 min or until all liquid is absorbed (check to see if this is necessary).

Found this one on the site.
    Cindy

False
    Posted by: beacheagle Posted on: 8/11/2003 9:16:53 PM
    #R1981554
    UNSTUFFED CABBAGE

1 lb. ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    ½ cup converted rice, uncooked
    ½ medium head cabbage, shredded
    1 (10 ½ oz.) can tomato soup, diluted with water
    ¼ cup catsup

Brown beef with onion; remove from heat and drain excess fat. Add rice to meat mixture and mix well. Place shredded cabbage in buttered 2 quart casserole. Spread meat-rice mixture on cabbage. Blend soup, water, and catsup; pour over meat-rice layer. Bake, covered at 350F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream.

Here is another.
    False