au jus (homemade) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

au jus (homemade)

Last post Apr 20, 2014 1:54 AM by cmdumee . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • au jus (homemade)
    I saved a recipe from here for green beans that you add au jus mix. The cheapest mix I can find is 98 cents.How can I make my own? Thanks
    False
  • RE: au jus (homemade)
    ROAST BEEF AU JUS
    Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 beef roast, 4 1/2 lbs.
    4-6 tbsp. soy sauce
    1/4 - 1/2 c. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 onion

Place roast in oven proof dish; salt and pepper to taste. Pour soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce over roast. Place cut up onion on roast. Cover and cook 350 degrees to desired doneness. You can also use packaged au jus.
    False
    Jereline, I've noticed sometimes you can't even find the au jus packets at the grocery store. I hope somebody has a recipe "formula" for making the dry mix. Jenni's roast beef au jus sounds good, too.

Brenda
    False
    Here you are Brenda.

AU JUS GRAVY MIX
    Makes about 1/3cup mix yielding eight 1-cup servings

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated beef bouillon
    2 teaspoons granulated onion bouillon
    1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor; whirl to a fine powder. Pour mix into a jar, label with directions and store at room
    temperature.

To use: Put 21/4 teaspoons mix into a small saucepan; gradually stir in 1 cup of cold water. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; mix in a few drops of Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet and, if you wish, a pat of butter.
    False

Put On A Happy Face

It's suppose to have read:
    "To use: Put 2-1/4 teaspoons mix into a small saucepan;"
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Thank you, homesweethome! That looks like a great alternative when you just can't find packets, plus not all the preservatives in it!

Brenda
    False
    I wonder if instead of the Gravy Master you can use a dash of soy sauce and dash of worcester sauce?

I was in need of this this weekend because the store was out, of course, and so I picked up gravy instead-yuck--doesn't do the same! Ha!

~Dayna
    False
  • Re: RE: au jus (homemade)

Thanks Homesweethome for the recipie. I looked all ofver the internet for this recipie. Smile

False

Does anyone know what "granulated onion boullion" is?  Is that onion powder?  Or dried minced onion?  I checked my grocery store for onion boullion and couldn't find it and the grocer had never heard of it.  Thanks!

False