au jus (homemade) | Taste of Home Community
Show Subscription Form

au jus (homemade)

Last post Apr 20, 2014 1:54 AM by cmdumee . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • au jus (homemade)
    I saved a recipe from here for green beans that you add au jus mix. The cheapest mix I can find is 98 cents.How can I make my own? Thanks
    False
  • RE: au jus (homemade)
    Jereline, I've noticed sometimes you can't even find the au jus packets at the grocery store. I hope somebody has a recipe "formula" for making the dry mix. Jenni's roast beef au jus sounds good, too.

Brenda
    False
    Here you are Brenda.

AU JUS GRAVY MIX
    Makes about 1/3cup mix yielding eight 1-cup servings

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated beef bouillon
    2 teaspoons granulated onion bouillon
    1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor; whirl to a fine powder. Pour mix into a jar, label with directions and store at room
    temperature.

To use: Put 21/4 teaspoons mix into a small saucepan; gradually stir in 1 cup of cold water. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; mix in a few drops of Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet and, if you wish, a pat of butter.
    False

Put On A Happy Face

It's suppose to have read:
    "To use: Put 2-1/4 teaspoons mix into a small saucepan;"
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Thank you, homesweethome! That looks like a great alternative when you just can't find packets, plus not all the preservatives in it!

Brenda
    False
    I wonder if instead of the Gravy Master you can use a dash of soy sauce and dash of worcester sauce?

I was in need of this this weekend because the store was out, of course, and so I picked up gravy instead-yuck--doesn't do the same! Ha!

~Dayna
    False
  • Re: RE: au jus (homemade)

Thanks Homesweethome for the recipie. I looked all ofver the internet for this recipie. Smile

False

Does anyone know what "granulated onion boullion" is?  Is that onion powder?  Or dried minced onion?  I checked my grocery store for onion boullion and couldn't find it and the grocer had never heard of it.  Thanks!

False