Changing Sizes of Loaf Pans When Baking? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Changing Sizes of Loaf Pans When Baking?

Last post Apr 14, 2006 10:00 AM by saraquarius . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Changing Sizes of Loaf Pans When Baking?
    When making quick breads, I always want to make mini-loaves instead of a large loaf as I have a small family and also I can freeze them and give them away to family and friends at a later date. But how do you convert the recipe for the smaller pan? Or do you just leave the same oven temp. and bake for a shorter time? What does everyone do about this?
    False
  • RE: Changing Sizes of Loaf Pans When Baking?
    http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitutes_pansizes.htm
    False
    Adjust baking times: The oven temperature should stay the same, but the baking times will be shorter.

Mini-loaves

When making mini-loaves, estimate that the baking time will be 1/4 less than the recipe states for the large loaf. Make sure you stagger the pans in the oven so the hot air can circulate around them. If the pans are tiny and won't sit flat on the oven shelf, I position mine in a rimmed baking sheet to bake. Make sure you leave 1-inch space between the pans and place in the oven on the middle baking shelf.

FOR MINI-LOAVES: Baking Chart
    Approx. Pan Size Amount of Batter Approx. Bake
    Time at 350ºF for 1 pan*
    1/3 cup 1/4 cup 15 to 20 min
    1/2 cup 1/3 cup 15 to 20 min
    2/3 to 3/4 cup 1/2 cup 25 to 35 min
    1 cup 3/4 cup 35 to 40 min
    *NOTE: If you have multiple pans in the oven at once, baking times will increase.

False
    Convert pan sizes: You have to calculate how much your original pan holds so you can figure out how many muffins you can make.

I devised a way to easily convert pan sizes: Fill a large measuring cup with water, taking note of its measurement. Pour water into the pan originally called for in the recipe until it reaches 2/3 from the top, the amount you'd fill that pan with batter; 2/3rds full is typical for quick-bread and muffin recipes. Make note of how much water was used. If it is a two-part pan, fill it with sugar or rice.

All measurements may vary depending on the pan and how you measure, but use this as a guide. For pan sizes, the first number is the width, measured with a ruler from inner edge to inner edge, or stamped on the bottom of the pan.

TYPE SIZE DESC CUPS FILLED
    pan 9 x 5 shiny aluminum 4 cups 2/3
    pan 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 shiny aluminum 2-1/4 cups 2/3
    muffin tin 2-3/4 x 1-1/2 (standard) shiny aluminum 4 TBSP each tin 2/3
    mini muffin tin 1-3/4 across shiny aluminum 1 TBSP each tin 3/4

For example: Original recipe calls for a 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 pan. You want to make muffins in a standard muffin tin (2-3/4 x 1-1/2)

1 cup holds 16 TBSP (How to Measure)
    Pan: 2-1/4 cups = 36 TBSP (2.25 x 16)
    Muffin Tin (each one) = 4 TBSP
    So, the recipe will make 9 muffins (36/4 TBSPS)

2. Adjust baking times: The oven temperature should stay the same, but the baking times will be shorter.
    False
    Q: Can I make mini-loaves from my recipe ? A: Yes, but you have to do a few things first:
    Convert baking pan sizes: A typical 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan holds 8 cups. An 8 1/2" x 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" loaf pan holds 6 cups. An 8" x 4" x 2-1/2" loaf pan holds four cups. You have to calculate how much your mini pans hold, as all mini pan sizes vary.

Measure the capacity of a mini pan: Fill a large measuring cup with water, taking note of its measurement. Pour water into the pan until it just reaches the very top. Make note of how much water was used. If it is a two-part pan, fill it with sugar or rice.

Adjust baking times: The oven temperature should stay the same, but the baking times will be shorter. Since every mini pan size varies, estimate that the baking time will be 1/4 less than the recipe states for the large loaf.
    False
    Wow, what a wealth of information! Thanks very much, redraspberrygirl! Happy Easter!
    False