Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Last post May 01, 2006 8:38 AM by KathyB_63_Mo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    I called this my "Blue Plate Special".

I made this last week using a chuck roast my neighbor had given me. His dd and sil had gotten a half of beef and had too many roasts for them to use up. My neighbor didn't care for the one he fixed. They are cut real irregular. Lot of bone, fat and sinew. You can't even get a good slice for a sandwich.

I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and put it in my dutch oven, seared it good. Then poured a can of Diet Caffeine Free Coke and about a cup of red wine over it. Simmered it for 4 hours.

After it had cooled, I tore it apart with my fingers and cut the chunks of meat up in little cubes and put them in my food processor. I really pulsed it good.

I made mashed potatoes and using the broth from the roast , thickened it with corn starch. That gravy was so rich and thick. It was wonderful.

Placed some shredded roast on a piece of wheat bread, poured some of the gravy over it. Cut in on the diaganal. Placed mashed potatoes in the middle of the sliced sandwich and poured gravy over the whole thing. Dh gobbled it up. And, he does not like roast beef because of the texture.

Even made Philly Steak sandwiches out of it. I am thawing another one today, to make tomorrow the same way.

Now, that is good "stick-to-your-ribs" (also hips) eating.....;o)

Kathy♥
    False
  • RE: Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    That is my kind of food. Wish I had been there to share it with you. That would also be good rolled in a tortilla and fried. What the Mexicans call FLAUTAS.
    False
    Hot Roast Beef sandwiches are one of my standbys! We really like them. When I do a roast, we just know hot roast beef sandwiches or beef spread is coming!
    False
    Oooohhhhh, my mouth is watering. That sounds so good! :) kay
    False
    Yes, I made beef spread out of the one he gave me before this one.

In fact, I had half a sandwich of it for breakfast as lunch is a couple hours off and I was getting hungry. Shouldn't be reading the recipe board this early. It always makes me hungry.....;o)

Kathy♥
    False
    Oh that recipe brings back memories!
    We still eat roast beef sandwiches and have to have them cut on the diagonal with mashed pot. in the middle and gravy all over. Love them. They used to be so cheap.
    Now I'm hungry for one and I don't have any roast beef!
    False
    Oh that recipe brings back memories!
    We still eat roast beef sandwiches and have to have them cut on the diagonal with mashed pot. in the middle and gravy all over. Love them. They used to be so cheap.
    Now I'm hungry for one and I don't have any roast beef!
    False
    I just got thru shredding up another roast I cooked yesterday. Will be doing a repeat.

Kathy♥
    False