Anybody make roast in oven with onion soup mix? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anybody make roast in oven with onion soup mix?

Last post Apr 30, 2006 7:14 PM by Dharma77 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Anybody make roast in oven with onion soup mix?
    I have used onion soup mix on my roasts in the crockpot, but never the ones in the oven. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Stephanie
    False
  • RE: Anybody make roast in oven with onion soup mix?
    My mom use to use onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. She would pour it over the roast or steak or what ever type of meat she was using and bake it until tender. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. yum.
    False
    I always sprinkle a little dry onion soup mix over my pork roasts and the sauerkraut too. Really adds to the flavor.
    False
    My Mom used to sprinkle a whole envelope of onion soup over a large roast and then wrap it in foil and put it in the oven. I think she also put mushroom soup over it before sealing it up. Really tasty.
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    DH does it all the time. I still put onion soup mix in my turkey stuffing.
    False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'
    I made a small roast in the oven like this just today. Just two of us so I cut a 3 pound sirloin tip roast (from Wal-Mart) in half and used a can of cream of celery soup (could use mushroom soup) and HALF a package of dry onion soup mix. Mixed the two soups together and put in small roasting pan. Put in roast half and then spooned some of the soup mixture over the top and covered. Set oven to 350 for an hour and then turned oven to 275 for 3 hours. Fork tender meat and wonderful gravy. I also put cut carrots, potatoes and onion for the two of us in a small crockpot which I had sprayed with pam. I cooked those on high for same 4 hours. Delicious Sunday dinner with about 8-10 minutes prep. I also served cooked frozen baby peas with butter.
    False
    This is wonderful! I use a boneless chuck roast ( less expensive) and a 12 oz can of cola or ginger ale...and omit the 2 TBS water.
    Cola Pot Roast II
    Submitted by: Sher Garfield
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 480 members Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 5 Hours Ready In: 5 Hours 15 Minutes
    Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    4 pounds beef sirloin roast
    3 carrots, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 (.75 ounce) package dry
    brown gravy mix
    2 tablespoons water
    1 (1 ounce) package dry onion
    soup mix
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    10 fluid ounces cola-flavored
    carbonated beverage

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place meat in a roasting pan. Sprinkle carrots, celery and minced garlic around roast.
    3. In a small bowl, combine the brown gravy mix and water, mixing into a smooth paste. Add onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup and cola-flavored carbonated beverage. Pour over the roast.
    4. Cover pan, and cook 1 hour in the preheated oven.
    5. Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C), and continue cooking 2 hours. Remove from oven, and turn roast over so that the top is now covered with the gravy. Cover pan, and return to oven for a minimum of 2 hours.
    6. Remove from oven, and let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
    I usually leave out the cream soup, as I do low carb, and it is great!

Margaret
    False
    I always do. I use either a chuck roast or london broil. I put it in my large square corningware dish. I either sprinkle one package of onion soup mix and add about 1/4 cup water, OR I pour a can of french onion soup or golden onion soup over the top. I then cover it with aluminum foil and put the glass lid on. I cook at least 3-hours at 300 degrees.

When it is done I pull the roast appart into small chunks, discarding any fat etc. Then I remove any fat from the top of the juices and make a gravy from that. Delicious!

connieh
    False
    In the oven, I use a chuck roast, or blade roast, and cook it in the oven with Cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix and some beef bullion or beef soup mix. Cook it at 250 degrees all day. I do cover mine.
    False
    Yup--all the time. Just sprinkle it over the roast and add whatever veggies I have, put some water on it, stick it in the oven, and four hours later YUMMMMM!!!! As a matter of fact, we had this on Friday, and are having the leftovers from it tonight. I didn't make it on Friday, though, DH did! He is a better cook than me!
    Bonnie
    False
    Yep, it's the first way I learned to cook a roast. Sear an English cut roast in a hot skillet with a very small amount of oil. Put it in a covered baking dish, added water ½ way up, sprinkled with the onion soup mix and bake at 350º. Towards the end, remove the lid. Makes the best gravy also. Sorry I can't help with the cooking time.... my family prefers "burnt" roast beef so I just cook it til it falls apart. :)
    False
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I will defintely be trying these suggestions.

I usually just sear mine in a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary. We like it done medium/rare. Although I would like to try something a little different.

Stephanie
    False