Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more!

Last post Dec 03, 2013 1:03 AM by tawny77 . 151 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 11 (152 items) 12345Last >
  • Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more!
    hello friends

i posted a recipe on snacks for a woolworths ham salad sandwich.

texasrosell was so kind to tell me about the woolworths lunch counters and her memories.

that made me very curiouse and i checked the web and found many people talking and remembering the times with wonderful food there.

we also have woolworths in germany - they have been here since the war - but here we never had food or lunch counters. it was just a very chaep warehouse.

so please have dun and share your memories, recipes and stories about it here

that would be fun

hugs twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
  • RE: Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more!
    The Five and Dime (with Food)

One of the store concepts whose time has come and gone is the five-and-dime store.

I remember quite fondly from my childhood the trips to Woolworths and G.C. Murphy. Both of these places weren't very large and, in fact, were in the same plaza near my house. Murphy's had two levels. The top floor featured a small arcade, a diner (with a long bar only), and various departments. The lower level was where the action was though: this was the toy department, plus, arts and crafts and seasonal goods. The floors were a strange brown checkerboard, and the toy selection was never great. But you could always get a drink upstairs at the bar if you wanted to.

Woolworths was a tad more conventional. Everything was on one floor, and the dining area had booths - along with surprisingly good food. There was a large pet department and a sizable clothing department, but Woolworths was most famous to me for its candy department.

The idea of eating at a store is fading away. While Wal-Marts have McDonald's in some cases, and K-Marts still have cafes, it's not the same as having a greasy spoon next to a row of fishtanks. Also of note is that the Walgreens in that same plaza used to have a full sit-down restaurant, too.

Today, the space that was Murphy's is an Office Depot - bland as any other office store, and one level only. Woolworths went empty for years before a half-baked Foot Locker took its place. And the Walgreens restaurant long ago became the Walgreens liquor department. -pm

by paul
    False
    Lunch Counter Lingo

"Adam and Eve on a raft, wreck 'em!"
    -- Diner waitress, circa 1950

You're sure to scratch your head trying to figure out some of the shorthand slang used between waitstaff and cooks in traditional diners and luncheonettes. Did you really order Noah's boy, in the alley? Read on as we crack the code on Lunch Counter Lingo, and point out some luncheonette treats for you to try yourself at home.

As a child in the '50s, a great treat was a trip to the lunch counter at the old Woolworth's store downtown. Their special gimmick was a houseboat with the works, whose price was determined by popping a balloon containing a tiny piece of paper with prices ranging from a penny to twenty-five cents.

"Order up, Sam! Groundhog and fifty-five on #2," Hannah would holler loud enough to be heard on the next block. "Gentleman will take a chance with Murphy, draw one, and make it a crowd on #5," she'd continue without skipping a beat, while turning back to the counter to tell another customer, "I'll be right back with your baby and the twins in two shakes, hon."

Almost as much fun as eating the ice cream was listening to the waitresses in their starched pink uniforms placing orders with the cook in their own special language and trying to figure out what in the world people were ordering!

You might want to beef up (excuse that little pun!) on Lunch Counter Lingo in case you have the occasion to check out one of the old mom and pop hash houses or newer retro diners, so you can have a little fun with your waiter/waitress. Some of these definitions are sure to bring a smile, if not stir some memories. The following terms are just a sampling from The Encyclopedia of American Food & Drink (Hearst Books) by John F. Mariani. Want more? Take a look at the Lunch Counter Lingo Glossary.
    False
    Adam and Eve on a raft: Two poached eggs on toast.

baby, moo juice, Sweet Alice or cow juice: Milk.

crowd: Three of anything (possibly from the old saying, "Two's company, three's a crowd").

draw one: Coffee

fifty-five: A glass of root beer.

gentleman will take a chance: Hash.

groundhog: Hot dog.

houseboat: A banana split, made with ice cream and sliced bananas.

in the alley: Serve as a side dish.

Mike and Ike or the twins: Salt and pepper shakers.

Murphy: Potatoes, so called because of their association with the Irish diet of potatoes, Murphy being a common Irish name.

Noah's boy: A slice of ham, because

Ham was Noah's second son.

wreck 'em: Scramble the eggs.

False
    found this recipe. It came from a lady who had worked at the Woolworth counter 54 years ago.
    Bev

Woolworth's Ham Salad Sandwiches

The ham salad recipe was..."

Servings: 2

1 (1-inch) slice baked ham -- DICED
    1/4 cup finely diced celery -- more if desired
    sweet pickle relish -- as desired
    salad dressing (not mayo) -- as needed* Miracle Whip
    salt and fresh ground black pepper -- to taste
    4 slices whole wheat bread -- toasted
    2 each lettuce leaves -- optional

DICE the ham slice (this is very important, do not grind or chop it); add the diced celery;
    then add enough pickle relish and Kraft's Salad Dressing (not Mayo); season it to your likings
    and mix well.

Spread the ham salad onto two of the toasted whole wheat bread slices, top with a lettuce leaf
    and place the last toast slices on. Cut each sandwich diagonally. Serve with chips.
    False
    Woolworth's Ice Box Cheese Torte

Yield: 12-16 servings

1 (3-oz.) pkg. lemon-flavored gelatin
    1 cup boiling water
    1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 tall can (13-oz.) Milnot, whipped
    3 cups Graham cracker crumbs (or less if desired)
    1/2 cup butter or margerine, melted

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Chill until slightly thickened (I chill
    this until it is the consistency of an uncooked egg white).

Cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add the gelatin
    and blend well. Fold in stiffly whipped Milnot(this can be done with and
    electric mixer).

Mix Graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together; pack 2/3 of
    the mixture on bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch pan (or larger). Add
    filling and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Chill several hours or
    overnight.

Cut into squares and serve plain (my favorite way) or garnished with
    fruit.

I have never tried using any other type of canned evaporated milk as
    Milnot is what the recipe calls for. It is a different type of canned milk.
    If you can not find Minot in your area, they have a website where you
    can purchase it www.milnot.com. I hope you enjoy this recipe as
    much as I have. I also have tried using a different flavored jello like
    strawberry and cherry - I didn't like it as much as with the original
    lemon flavor. Enjoy!
    False
    Woolworth'S Lunch Counter Chop Suey Chow Mein
    (Circa 1950)

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients

1 tb lard or crisco shortening
    1 1/2 lb pork; cut in 1/2" cubes
    salt
    pepper
    flour
    1 lg spanish onion; diced
    3 c chopped celery
    3 tb soy sauce; regular strength
    2 tb molasses
    liquid drained from canned
    -sprouts
    from canned mushrooms; (1
    -cup total)
    8 oz canned mushrooms
    16 oz canned Oriental Vegetables
    1 Stick y steamed white rice
    Fried chow mein noodles
    soy sauce

Instructions

PRESSURE COOKER --
    Heat shortening in cooker. Dust meat lightly with seasoned flour. Brown
    meat in batches in hot, smoky oil. Add onion, celery, soy, molasses, and
    liquids from canned vegetables. Cover. Set rocker (pot only had one
    pressure setting). Heat until you get a steady rocking and cook 10
    minutes.
    Cool of its own accord.
    Stir in vegetables and heat through.
    Serve: chow mein noodles on bottom; 2 scoops of rice; 1 ladleful of chop
    suey; extra soy sauce. (And they always brought catsup.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 355 Calories; 22g Fat (55% calories
    from fat); 26g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 89mg Cholesterol; 1014mg Sodium

False
    I worked at a Woolworth's restaurant in the early 1970's. One recipe I do remember is their Rueban Sandwich. The secret there is the thousand island
    dressing. Debbie

Reuban Sandwich

Ingredients:
    2 slices rye bread
    3 ounces corned beef slices
    2 tablespoons sauerkraut
    1 tablespoon thousand island dressing
    1 slice swiss cheese
    softened butter

Directions:
    Lightly butter one side of rye bread and place buttered side down
    on griddle (or in a skillet). Place swiss cheese slice on bread.
    Top cheese with corned beef slices. Top cheese slices with sauerkraut.
    Take second piece of rye bread and spread salad dressing on one side.
    Place this side down over the sandwich. Spread outer side with butter.
    Grill on both sides, turning once, and pressing down on sandwich with
    pancake flipper.
    False
    Woolworth's Frito Pie

2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound ground chuck
    1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    1 1/2 cup water (more if necessary)
    1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    5 cups Fritos corn chips
    1/2 pound Cheddar or Monterey jack, shredded
    Optional: chopped onion and diced fresh jalapenos for garnish

Cook bacon in heavy skillet until fat is rendered. Add onion and
    garlic and cook until onion is softened.

Add ground chuck and cook over medium high heat, stirring and
    breaking up lumps, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour off excess
    fat and add salt, chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste.

Slowly add water and simmer 10 min, adding more water if necessary.
    Add beans until heated through.

Divide corn chips among individual wide shallow bowls, top with
    chili. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Garnish with onion and jalapeno if desired.
    False
    Chili burgers recall days of five-and-dimes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Mary Jo Spiegel

Dolores Sanders in Pleasant Run remembers the chili burgers served at her local five-and-dime in the 1950s. She can't recall the store.

It could have been Woolworth's. First opened in 1879 and serving food by 1910, Woolworth's, the original discount store, was serving 90 million meals a day across the nation by 1928 - making for a lot of memories.

"When I interviewed former patrons," writes Karen Plunkett-Powell in her book, Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin' Press; $19.57), "the vast majority of responses concerned food."

"On hot summer days we'd enjoy the chocolate sodas at Woolworth's," says Val Sharpe in Wyoming, who'd ride her bike to the Brentwood store in the 1950s and '60s. Even better, she recalls, was a hamburger and Coke for 41 cents at Gallagher's Drug Store's competing lunch counter.

Competition caused the last Woolworth¼s lunch counter to close by 1997. (Although you can still visit the Greensboro, N.C., counter in the Smithsonian, preserved for its part in 1960s sit-ins against segregation.)

And Woolworth's lunch counter lingo also lives on, credited for introducing "BLT" and "mayo" into our vernacular.

Nevertheless, Dolores's chili burger memories might come from the S.S. Kresge Co., the upstart dime store that opened in Detroit in 1899 and hangs on to this day as K-Mart.

Chili Burgers

6 pounds ground beef

3 cups chopped onions

3 cups tomato puree (not sauce or paste)

4 tablespoons chili powder

4 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon pepper

Brown ground beef with onions in large skillet, drain fat. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer on low an hour, or until liquid has evaporated. Serve on buns. Makes 12 servings.

False
    Take me back to the Five & Dime

No Frito-pie adventure is complete without eating the Santa Fe original. While the Woolworth's sign is gone and the facade of its former home is now a testament to strip-mall aesthetics, the Five and Dime General Store on the Plaza still serves up the friendliest, spiciest, truest pie in town. And a poster of Hernandez still hangs above the store entrance.

The lunch counter in the back of this touristy knick-knack store reminds me of a soda fountain circa 1960: speckled Formica countertops, crisp glass cases, and ladies in white circling the sparse tables like nurses doing triage.

The pie itself is a small bag of Fritos cut open on one long end and filled with Texas-style beef chili and cheddar cheese. Off to the side of the counter are diced white onion and pickled jalapeños.

The counterperson chuckled when I asked for a plate, but I was heavy with reading materials and needed something to spill on while I flipped through pages. Next time I'll leave the book at work and eat like the others: hunched over, staring at the wall, soaking in every ounce of the creamy beef chili.

Frito pie has to be served fast, before the chips get soggy, and the Five & Dime folks have a secret to keeping them crispy. I'm not sure what it is, but it has something to do with the thing tasting so damn good that a chip has no chance of going limp before the whole mess is consumed. With a fountain Coke, I was happy beyond words.

A note: if you want free refills on soda, don't stray from the lunch counter. Shop on your own time. These ladies are hard workers, not soda cops.
    False
    Woolworth's Cheesecake

1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O
    1 cup boiling water
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1 cup granulated sugar
    5 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 can Carnation milk, well chilled
    Graham crackers, crushed

Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Cool until slightly thickened.

Beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice with mixer until smooth. Add thickened Jell-O and beat well.

In a separate bowl, beat the Carnation milk until fluffy. Add cream cheese/Jell-O mixture and beat well with mixer.

Line bottom of 9 x 13-pan with crushed Graham crackers.

Spread filling over and top with more crushed Graham crackers. Chill.
    False
    Banana Roll

serves 12

One 8-inch round cake layer may be made with this batter. Prepare as directed below. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes.

1 cup sifted cake flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup (1 large) mashed ripe banana
    1 tablespoon sour cream
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 large egg, room temperature
    Adjust rack to lower third of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a small area in the center of the baking sheet with solid shortening. Line a 12 x 15-1/2 x 1/2-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang at each short end (the dab of shortening holds the foil in place). Grease and flour the foil. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine the mashed banana, sour cream and lemon zest in a small bowl.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until it is smooth and lighter in color. Add the sugar and scrape the mixture clinging to the sides into the center of the bowl. Continue to cream until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is quite fluffy. Add half of the flour mixture until blended. Then add the banana mixture, blending well. Add the remaining flour mixture, blending until smooth.

Scoop the thick batter onto five different areas over two-thirds of the prepared baking sheet. With a metal spatula, spread and coax the batter to cover the two-third of the sheet. Now extend it to the rest of the sheet in as even a layer as possible. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cake is light golden brown, the sides are beginning to contract from the metal, and the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.

con
    False
    Remove the pan from the oven. Using a thinbladed knife, gently release any portion of the cake sticking to the long sides of the pan. Pull up on the foil overhangs, one at a time, to release the foil from the pan's edges. Lifting up on the flaps, transfer it to a large rack to cool. Place a sheet of foil over the cake, and manipulate the foil in a tent fashion. Cool for 30 minutes, then proceed to assemble the roll.

Spread the cream evenly over the cake with a rubber spatula, up to 1-inch before reaching the long end farthest from you. (The cake will be rolled lengthwise. Some of the filling will move to that end as you roll.)

Begin rolling by flipping the edge of cake nearest you over onto itself. Then, with the aid of the foil that extends on either side of the cake, roll the cake lengthwise until you reach the other end. With your hands, wrap some of the foil around the roll to assist you in rounding the shape as you work toward the other end of the cake.

Cut each end of the roll on the diagonal for eye appeal, and sprinkle a light coating of powdered sugar over it. Lift it onto a serving plate with a long, wide spatula or a baking sheet without sides.

Filling: Combine 3/4 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a 1 1/2-quart mixing bowl, and whip them until it is soft, shiny, and smooth, but stiffer than for most desserts.

False
    Twinkle, excellent subject.

Yes, we had an excellent Woolworth's in Chicago that I used to go to. You could buy almost anything in the world there.

Big lunch counter; my favorite was grilled cheese sandwiches and a chocolate soda. You just picked a counter stool; and you met some very interesting folks along the way.

The candy counter was next to the food counter, ohhh, my favorite were candy corn. I could'a spent all day in that store.

That Woolworth's was a "flagship" large store on State Street in Chicago. Was sad when it closed down.

Here in SE Wisc., only at 40 deg. Last few weeks, temps. been varying almost 30 deg. a day. Rainy & windy, though yesterday was nice.

Lol, Twinkle, now us united in the "woolball club" can talk about "Woolworth's."
    False