Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more!

Last post Dec 03, 2013 1:03 AM by tawny77 . 151 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 11 (152 items) 12345Last >
  • RE: Woolworths - recall days of five-and-dimes - Recipes and more!
    Hello Lydia

oh that is soooo much fun - i remember the time when my grandma took my downtown montreal to a huge department store and food counter i was maybe 5 or 6 but do not recall which store it was but i felt like in heaven with all the goodies -lol

the food counters in american stores or the diners where always so much nicer in my memory as in germany.
    today that is different - there is no difference but back then i was dreaming of living in a canadian store -lol

cheers to the woolball union - i am back in fleece cardigan and jeans - it is pretty cold out

twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Woolworths VANILLA PEANUT BUTTER PIE

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/3 c Peanut butter
    1 c Powdered sugar
    1 pk Instant vanilla pudding
    1 x Baked pie shell
    1 x Cool Whip whipped topping

Mix peanut butter and powdered sugar;crumble.Prepare instant
    pudding according to package directions.Spread most of crumble on
    bottom of baked pie shell.Pour prepared pudding over.Cover with Cool
    Whip. Sprinkle with remaining crumble.Chill at least 1 hour.
    False
    I remember Woolworth's too! There was one downtown San Jose just around the corner from the Law firm my Mom worked for. In the summertime my best friend & I could take the bus downtown & window shop & have lunch at the Woolworth's counter. We didn't have much $ so we'd each order a Coke & then share an order of French fries. The fries came on a big plate, heaped high, crispy & delicious!
    Cali
    False
    I used to work a block away from our Woolworth's in Granite City, IL. We would walk there most days and eat lunch. They had the world's best hot dogs, the bun was buttered on the outside and toasted. They also had awesome chicken salad sandwiches. Walgreens in St. Louis used to have really good burgers and fries. Used to love their patty melts too.
    False
    For 2 years before I was married I worked at the one in St.Louis, at 6am I would be making the Lemon Coconut cakes, Ice box cheesecake, Chicken salad, Ham salad, baking off bacon for breakfast and BLT's,pies, slicing ham, making batters for breakfast etc. Then at 9am down I would go to set up my station.In my area I had to set up the soda and ice cream's. We used to have the balloons you popped for the price of either a sundae or a Banana Split.
    I always stopped and got a small bag of warm peanuts and candy corn to munch on while riding the bus home. It was'nt a bad place to meet dates.:)

False
    hello friends

catrinka would you share any of the recipes you made at woolworths?
    that would be so great

thank you for sharing all yo memories - it is so much fun to read your stories

twinkle
    False
    Remembering Woolworths: A Nostalgic History of the World's Most Famous Five-And-Dime

by Kar Plunkett Powell
    ISBN:0312206704
    Publisher:St. Martin's Press
    Pages:224

Millions of Americans have fond memories of shopping at Woolworth's, wandering the aisles in search of a humble spool Woolco thread, festive Christmas decorations, a goldfish or parakeet, or a blue bottle of Evening in Paris perfume. And who could forget the special treat of grilled-cheese sandwich or ice-cream sundae at the famous lunch counter?
    These and countless other memories are celebrated in" Remembering Woolworth's. Packed with photos, first-hand remembrances, vivid anecdotes, and a lively, well-researched narrative, the book tells the story of how a poor potato farmer named Frank Woolworth created a merchandising empire that touched the lives of Americans in small towns, big cities, and everywhere in between. Chapters cover the store's humble beginnings, surviving the Great Depression, the civil rights sit-ins, Woolworth's around the globe, the popularity of Woolworth's collectibles, and much more.

Table of Contents
    Nickel parakeets and grilled cheese: welcome to the world's most famous five-and-dime — Early years of the merchant prince — The birth of Woolworth's "great five-cent -store" — Frank sires a million-dollar baby in Pennsylvania — The march of "five-and-dimes" — Reaching for the sky: the great Woolworth Building — Woolworth's international — Transition: from history to nostalgia — Those fabulous lunch counters! — A store for all seasons — The spectacle of Woolworth's — Woolworth's coast to coast — The collectibles
    False
    Oh my Goodness! Yes, yes, I do remember the Woolworth's lunch counter with fond memories!!

My fave was always a chicken salad sandwich and a bowl of soup.

Here in Houma, we had one up until '88 or '89. It was right downtown, across from City Court. I would meet my friend, a Court Reporter, for lunch there lots of days.

Thanks for stirring by-gone memories.
    False

Life doesn't come with a remote --- get up and change it yourself!

I remember Woolworth's lunch counter. I was a young kid and it was a real treat to go there. The hot dogs with the flat buns. The balloons popped for the banana splits. The milkshakes and floats!
    False
    We had a Woolworth's, too, until I was a teen. When we would make the trip into town(which was always a big deal-then), we always ate donuts at Woolworth's. They had a donut machine and it you could watch them being made. They really were the best! You could see the machine from the window and people would stand on the sidewalk and watch the donuts being made.
    I liked to sit at the counter on the stool, because we ALWAYS had to sit at a table to eat except there. My mom used to slap my knees to stop twirlingon the stool-it never hurt because she always wore those little white or black gloves! lol
    Linda
    False
    Thanks twinkle for the fond memories here as well and the posting of the recipes! I can still remember getting up on those round stools and getting a big treat of a hot dog and soda, thanks again, Connie
    False
    Woolworth's Sandwiches

I too remember sitting at Woolworth's as a child and eating those wonderful loose ground beef sandwiches.
    My mother always made
    them at home, and this was the recipe she used....I think it tastes
    almost identical.

She would fry about 2 lbs of ground beef until done and then add a 10 oz can of Campbells chicken gumbo soup(undiluted), some salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder, and simmer on medium heat for about 1/2 hour, stirring periodically. Serve with coleslaw and plain
    (not rippled) potato chips, and enjoy the memories! Jan Z.
    False
    I worked at a Woolworth's restaurant in New York called Harvest House
    in the early '70's making sandwiches, burgers, etc. The only loose ground beef sandwich I can think of was a sloppy joe. It was usually served with french fries and cole slaw. Ground Beef, Onion, Salt and Pepper, ketchup or barbecue sauce.

Joann
    False
    Easy Apple Dumplings
    With Vanilla Sauce on a Bed of Cherries

1 can 10 "Butter Me Not" Biscuits, separated
    5 Winesap, Rome or Washington Red Apples, cored and rinsed with cold water
    5 Tablespoons Butter, melted
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice
    Or,
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
    1 12 oz. can Mountain Dew
    2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
    1 can Cherries for Pie

Spray a 9"X13" dish or pan with Butter Spray, or lightly grease it with butter
    Prepare apples: Core and rinse each apple with cold water. Dry off with paper
    towels.
    Prepare biscuits: Separate biscuit dough into 10 pieces. Flatten each piece
    of dough into a circle. Wrap one biscuit around each apple HALF. Join,
    pressing together to make a seam. Place, seam side down, in baking pan. Leave
    top of pastry open so you can access the apple core.
    Make Sauce: Combine and bring to boil the butter, sugar, Mountain Dew, and
    cinnamon. Add the Vanilla Extract.

NOTE: Do NOT use Imitation Vanilla Extract. The results will NOT be the same
    if you do!
    Pour half the sauce mixture over pies and bake at 3500 F. for about 20
    minutes.
    Add Cherries: Pour contents of can of cherries in the dish, spreading it
    around the apples.
    Baste Dumplings with remaining half of the sauce and continue baking until
    golden brown.
    To serve: Scoop cherries from dish and place some in the bottoms of five
    individual serving dishes. Lift apple dumpling and place on top of the
    cherries. Serve plain, or top with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
    Move Over Memories of Woolworth!
    Here we come!

False
    Wow...I haven't about Woolworths or Murphys store(s) for y-e-a-r-s. We had one where I grew up, it closed when I was about 10 (I'm 39 now). Always loved going in there. :)
    False