Red Hot Pickles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Red Hot Pickles

Last post May 24, 2006 6:54 PM by enjoynature . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Red Hot Pickles
    A family member of mine used to make homemade canned pickles but she canned them with little red hot candies. I think she called them candied pickles. If anyone could help me out with a recipe, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks so much.
    -Nicole
    False
  • RE: Red Hot Pickles
    Found this on the 'net - hope it's what you're looking for ~

RED HOT CUCUMBER PICKLES

2 gal. lg. cucumbers
    2 c. pickling lime
    Water
    1 c. vinegar
    1 tbsp. alum from drugstore
    1 bottle red food coloring
    2 c. vinegar
    5 lbs. sugar
    1 lg. pkg. red hot candy
    8 cinnamon sticks

Peel, quarter and seed cucumbers. Need 2 gallons of cucumbers after peeling. Cut into strips about the size of French fries. Soak 24 hours in pickling lime with enough water to cover cucumbers. Drain and wash well.
    Add 1 cup vinegar, alum, food coloring and enough water to cover. Simmer 2 hours and then drain well. Add 2 cups vinegar, 4 cups water, sugar, candy and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil. Remove from stove. Let sit 24 hours. Bring back to a boil. Remove from stove. Let sit another 24 hours. Bring to a boil. Put in hot sterilized jars. Makes 10-12 pints. This makes wonderful Christmas gifts.

pegg
    False

pegg

Pegg- Thank you so much. I really have no idea what the recipe had in it other than red hots so this recipe you sent looks great to me. I'll try it. Thanks again.
    False
    You're welcome!!

enjoy!

pegg
    False

pegg

I've tried this recipe below from kimodog, using her suggestion to substitute red hot cinnamon candies. They were very good. The pickles seem to shrink though.

Posted by: kimodog Posted on: 8/27/2003 8:12:44 PM
    #R2063148
    TABASCO PICKLES

1 qt hamburger sliced dill pickles
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    1 oz ( 2 tbl) tabasco sauce (I use 2 tsp of tabasco and that's plenty for us)
    (read note on bottom regarding cinnamon candies)

Drain the juice from the pickles. Discard. Add the sugar and tabasco sauceto the pickles; refrigerate for 5 days. Shake or invert the jar at least twice a day to insure an even coating. This makes a very tasty pickle. The amount of tabasco can be adjusted to suit your own taste. Note: I have made these with 1/2 cup red hot cinnamon candies instead of tabasco--the candies will dissolve in the jar over the 5 day period with no problem. (I reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup when I use cinnamon candies, and sometimes I can't get all that sugar in right away, but a day or so later, there will be room for it.) I know this doesn't sound like something you'd make, but if you try them, you will like them! I use very inexpensive pickles for this--I just buy 2 jars of Safeway brand pickles on sale--they are only 22 oz jars, but work just fine. I just reduce the sugar proportionally for the smaller jar of pickles. I used Vlasic once, and I did not like that as well. The Safeway pickles (which are slices and much smaller in circumference and sliced thin too, get very crisp and good after the 5 days are up--the Vlasic did not (but they were "stackers" and those seemed so much bigger to me, so if you try these, get an ordinary sized sliced hamburger pickle to make them with. If you try this with the cinnamon candies instead of the tabasco, you'll see the candies color the pickles a red color. I think you could add some red food coloring too, if you chose to, and they'd be pretty at Christmas time. I love the cinnamon version with roast pork or pork chops.)
    False
    CHRISTMAS CUCUMBER RINGS

8 qts lg. cucumber rings, peeled & seeded
    8 qts. water
    2 c. pickling lime
    1 c. cider vinegar, 5%
    1 1/2 oz. red food coloring
    1 tsp. alum
    Water

Mix water and lime. Do not use alum. Soak in lime mixture 24 hours. Drain and rinse rings. Discard lime mixture. Soak rings in ice water 3 hours. Drain, place rings in vinegar, food coloring and alum and add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.

SYRUP:

3 1/2 c. water
    3 1/2 c. cider vinegar
    10 c. sugar
    8 sticks cinnamon
    8 oz. red hot cinnamon candies

Combine water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and red hot cinnamon candies, bring to boil. Pour syrup over cucumber rings. Let stand. Each day for the next 3 days, drain off syrup and bring to a boil. Pour syrup over cucumber rings. Do not boil rings, only syrup. The fourth day prepare home caning jars and lids. Remove cinnamon sticks. Heat cucumber rings and syrup to boiling. Pour rings and syrup into hot jars. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath canner. Yield 7 quarts.
    False
    MOCK APPLE RINGS

4 lbs. over green cucumbers
    1 c. pickling lime
    1 1/2 tbsp. red food coloring
    1/2 c. vinegar
    1 tsp. alum
    Whole cloves

SYRUP:

1 c. vinegar
    5 c. sugar
    2 (2 oz.) pkg. cinnamon red hots

Wash cucumbers and peel. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Make rings by removing the seeds from center. Mix lime and enough water to cover rings. Let set for 24 hours; wash and drain. Mix vinegar, food coloring, and alum with enough water to cover. Simmer for 2 hours at low temperature. Drain and discard water. Make a syrup from the vinegar, sugar, and red hots. Then add the rings and bring to a boil. Fill jars with rings and juice; add 4 cloves to each jar and seal.
    False
    CINNAMON CUCUMBER RINGS

11 1/4 c. sugar
    2 bags of red hot candies
    2 1/4 c. vinegar
    1 box of cinnamon sticks
    2 1/4 c. water
    1 c. vinegar
    1 bottle red food coloring
    1 c. pickling lime
    1 tsp. alum
    Cucumbers, enough to make 1 gallon of rings

Peel cucumbers and slice 1/2 inch thick (1 gallon of rings). Remove seeds and pulp. Dissolve 1 cup of pickling lime in large container, put cucumbers in container and cover with water. Let cucumbers stand in lime water for 24 hours. Drain, cover with cold water, soak for 1 hour. Drain, again. Mix 1 cup vinegar, 1 bottle red food coloring, and 1 tsp. alum. Pour over rings in an aluminum pot, finish covering with water. Heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. After they have simmered for this time, drain off the colored solution. While rings are simmering mix up your syrup: 2 bags of red hot candies 2 1/2 c. vinegar 1 box of cinnamon sticks 2 1/4 c. water
    Bring to a boil. Pour over cinnamon rings. Close tightly and let set overnight (12 hours). Next morning, drain syrup into pan. Heat and pour back into rings. Next morning heat rings and syrup to boil, pack and seal into jars. Makes 6 or 7 pints.

False