what is proper tip for hairdresser | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what is proper tip for hairdresser

Last post May 27, 2006 12:31 AM by Odee12MA . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • what is proper tip for hairdresser
    i was getting a perm and 2 girls were discussing people who do and people who don't tip. they didn't say anything nasty, just commets.
    if i get a $15.00 hair cut, what is proper tip. how about perm.
    or is a tip even necessary?
    False
  • RE: what is proper tip for hairdresser
    I usually pay $15. for my haircut and give a $2.00 tip. Dont know if it is correct or not but I figure I dont get tips for my job so it is added money as far as I am concerned.
    Denise
    False
    I know that I over tip. I got my haircut last week. My girl blocks out 2 spots for me because I have very thick hair and she also spends alot of time answering questions and giving me hair styling tips to use at home. I was charged $25 for the cut and I gave her a $10.00 tip. I appreciate the time she gives me!
    False
    I have been wondering the same thing. Also, are shop owners due a tip?
    False
    Shop owners don't have to be tipped. The rake in all the profits.

I haven't had my hair cut recently but I tip my nail lady $2 for a $15 fill and if I get a new set I tip her $5.

I am taking the acrylic nails off this weekend. It takes too much time and money. I'm going to try to grow my own nails out. I've worn the acrylic for years.
    False
    It used to be you tipped the hairstylist 10-15%, but these days it is more common to tip 20%. And you tip the shampooer (if different person than your stylist) a dollar or two. It is not considered common to tip the shop owner though they will not usually refuse one.
    False
    I usually give a $2 tip for a $10 cut. Sometimes they give me a look, but I don't see anyone else tipping there so I don't see how it's out of line. Also, it meets the 20% guideline.
    Amy
    False
    I did forget to add, that I did give the shampoo girl $2 in the jar.

I've also heard that if the owner does your hair, you don't tip them.

As far as my nails, when I get my fill, I usually leave 3-5 dollars depending on the job they do. If they knick or cut me their tip goes down!!
    False
    thanks to each one who answered my question. now i know the amount i tip is ok, i really had no idea.
    False
    Dear Yahoo!: What's a customary tip for a hairdresser? Is it the same as for a waiter?
    DJ - Pearland, Texas

Dear DJ:
    We brushed through Yahoo!'s Tipping category and combed search results for "how much to tip hairdresser" only to find that you pretty much answered your own question. But we don't expect a gratuity for the service.

According to The Original Tipping Page, the standard tip for a hairdresser is 15%. As with waiters, this tip can go up to 20%, according to the Emily Post Institute via CNN.

If several people work on your hair, you should give 10% to the person who sets your hair, and then divide 10% between everyone else. The person who washes your hair gets a buck or two. Most sources agree -- you don't tip salon owners unless they actually do your hair.

Good tips may ensure good service in the future. If you have a regular hairdresser, you might consider giving a holiday tip at the end of the year. This is often equal to the price you pay per visit -- if your usual haircut is $40, tip $40 in December. You could even add a small gift if you're particularly chummy with the stylist.

False
    I tip the same as in a restaurant. 18%. 20% if they actually listened to my requests.
    False
    That is exactly what I do. I am a very regular customer (every six weeks) and I don't tip anymore than what is charged but it is not unusual for me to give a very generous gift at the holiday. (usually in excess of $100)
    False
    Today I got a cut, $20 dollars and tipped her $5.00, she worked me in fast and I really appreciated it. Connie
    False
    I usually tip about 20 percent, for mine and the kids haircuts.
    False
    well since i worked in a couple shops doing nails and getting tips i think i can help with this one.
    there are two different ways for a stylist or nail tech to work in a shop.
    1. pay booth rent. They pay one set amount for the month so everything after that is theirs to keep.
    2. working on commission. They have to hand over a certain percent of every appointment to the owner. These people make the least as far as im concerned.
    If everyone in the shop is using the same products, thats a sign that the owner is providing all the products and they are probably on commission.
    If you see every one using their own favorites, they are probably paying booth rent.
    The tip for hair cuts was normally 2 or 3 dollars. A perm was 5 dollars
    On a full set of nails i usually got 5 dollars for a fill, 3 dollars.

kinda like when you eat out. The higher the bill, the bigger the tip is a good way to judge.

Karla
    False
    Karla